Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 GTO LS2 Stand-Alone Harness Not Matching GM Schematics

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 08:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 06 GTO LS2 Stand-Alone Harness Not Matching GM Schematics

I have a Current Performance harness that I modified to allow the harness to fit the engine compartment and other relocated components. Just to be sure everything was correct before applying power I went through the ECM and other component pinouts.

I found some wire colors not matching the pinout charts, no biggie, but a few of the pinout functions didn't match the GM schematics. It's not possible to re-assign functions of the ECM, is it? I'm quite sure the correct sensor plugs are connected to the ECM as originally supplied before it was modified.

The engine was run before the mods were done, although I believe the Check Light was on and it would sometimes backfire while cranking. Once started it seemed to run great.

Any ideas?

Larry
Old 03-19-2015, 09:32 PM
On The Tree

Default Update

Here are two pinouts that do not match the diagrams:

Actual Harness pinout: ECM C2, pin 54, #1 coil, purple.
Diagram pinout: ECM C2, pin 54, EVAP Canister Vent Solenoid Control.

Actual Harness pinout: ECM C2, pin 44, Cam Pos sensor, red.
Diagram pinout: ECM C2, pin 44, Low Coolant Level, white/black.

Just for the record, I found two wires in the diagram reversed on the #2 and #7 coils compared to the other coils and my harness. Pins B and C.

And, a couple instances where the circuit number is different on the ECM connector page and the corresponding sensor page.

I'm not so sure how far I can trust the diagrams now!
Old 03-20-2015, 11:43 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Have you contacted CPW? Keep us posted.

Tipsy
Old 03-20-2015, 04:57 PM
On The Tree

As a matter of fact, I did. Here's his response:

"The actual harness pinouts are correct. There are several errors in the GTO factory service manuals."

I would have to agree with him especially by basing it on another clue: Because the pin the diagrams say is the EVAP, not the #1 coil like my harness has, there should be another pin elsewhere in the diagrams for the #1 coil. There isn't!

Now, if I could find what pin the low coolant level sensor is actually located on someone else's harness, that would verify this pin discrepancy.
Old 03-20-2015, 08:26 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 69-er
As a matter of fact, I did. Here's his response:

"The actual harness pinouts are correct. There are several errors in the GTO factory service manuals."

I would have to agree with him especially by basing it on another clue: Because the pin the diagrams say is the EVAP, not the #1 coil like my harness has, there should be another pin elsewhere in the diagrams for the #1 coil. There isn't!

Now, if I could find what pin the low coolant level sensor is actually located on someone else's harness, that would verify this pin discrepancy.
Very interesting. I have a stock GTO LS2 harness and I have all of the pinouts. In all of my research, I've never come across a post that details the errors in the factory manual. Thanks for the update!

Tipsy
Old 03-21-2015, 09:29 AM
On The Tree

Here are a couple pages:

Check out pin #44 on the ECM C2 connector. It says it's for the Low Coolant Level; it's the Cam Position Sensor on the actual harness.

Pin #54 shows EVAP Vent Solenoid; #1 coil on the harness.

And, the #2 Coil: pins B and C functions are reversed. Same with #7.
Attached Thumbnails 06 GTO LS2 Stand-Alone Harness Not Matching GM Schematics-ls2-connector-pinouts-g.jpg   06 GTO LS2 Stand-Alone Harness Not Matching GM Schematics-ls2-ecm-pinout-b.jpg   06 GTO LS2 Stand-Alone Harness Not Matching GM Schematics-ls2-ecm-pinout-c.jpg  

Last edited by 69-er; 03-21-2015 at 09:35 AM.
Old 03-21-2015, 10:00 AM
TECH Resident

Here are a couple pages:

Check out pin #44 on the ECM C2 connector. It says it's for the Low Coolant Level; it's the Cam Position Sensor on the actual harness.

Pin #54 shows EVAP Vent Solenoid; #1 coil on the harness.

And, the #2 Coil: pins B and C functions are reversed. Same with #7.
Yeah, that's crazy. I have those pages sitting here on my desk, with the same errors you posted. I guess they've never been corrected. This is excellent information. Thanks!

Tipsy
Old 03-30-2015, 10:50 PM
TECH Resident

We've verified that GTO C2 Pin# 54 is in fact Ignition Coil #1 and NOT EVAP Vent Solenoid Control. So the question is, what connector/Pin# is GTO EVAP Vent Solenoid Control?

On the SSR pinout, EVAP Vent Solenoid Control is C1 Pin #54. The GTO pinout shows C1 Pin# 54 as "Not Used." Based on the SSR pinout information, it stands to reason that GTO C1 Pin# 54 should be EVAP Vent Solenoid Control.

Can anyone verify this?

Tipsy
Old 03-31-2015, 06:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 98 Likes on 68 Posts

I verified it last night with a Bmw swap buddy.
Mitchell wire diagrams are correct but labeled wrong on PCM connector as compared to an actual 2006 Gto harness.

Tip is correct.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:12 PM
On The Tree

An old file from Painless
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
LS2 Harness Manual.pdf (1.40 MB, 492 views)
Old 03-31-2015, 11:13 PM
On The Tree

And this.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ls2DBW4L60harness0425_2011_2.pdf (388.3 KB, 377 views)
Old 04-01-2015, 06:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

When I did my harness I discovered that many were using the Australian pinouts as a guide. Close but not close enough.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:36 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by oldgoat69
When I did my harness I discovered that many were using the Australian pinouts as a guide. Close but not close enough.
I have the Alldata pinouts and they are the same as everything I've found over the past year. They all have the same errors as listed above/below. Do you have a verified correct American document you can share?

Originally Posted by TEDSgrad
An old file from Painless
Thanks Ted, but that info isn't specific enough (C1, C2, C3 pinouts needed) and the first attachment doesn't have any of the EVAP components.

At this point I just want to verify whether the GTO's harness has the EVAP Vent Control Solenoid on C1 54.

With AKNovaman's help, we verified the errors that the OP raises:

GTO Pinouts as published with corrections noted

C1 Pin 54 Not Used (unverified - could this be EVAP Canister Vent Solenoid Control, as it is in the SSR/TBSS pinout?)
C2 Pin 44 (WH/BK) Low Coolant Level Signal (Incorrect! C2 Pin 44 is verified as Cam Position Sensor)
C2 Pin 50 (GN/YE) EVAP Canister Purge Solenoid Control
C2 Pin 54 (WH) EVAP Canister Vent Solenoid Control (Incorrect! C2 Pin 54 is verified as Ignition Coil #1)

SSR Pinouts as Published (all SSR information is assumed to be correct)

C1 Pin 54 (WH) EVAP Canister Vent Solenoid Control
C2 Pin 44 (RD) Cam Position Sensor
C2 Pin 50 (D-GN/WH) EVAP Canister Purge Solenoid Control
C2 Pin 54 (PU) Ignition Coil #1

The other verified errors in the GTO Alldata info is the designation of pin B&C in the Coil #2 & Coil #7 connector, as the OP indicates.

Tipsy

Last edited by TipsyMcStagger; 04-01-2015 at 06:44 AM.
Old 04-01-2015, 01:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Can the color code of the wires be of any help as to what they do. I have notice that GM tends to standardize the wire color codes to some degree.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:36 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1989GTA
Can the color code of the wires be of any help as to what they do. I have notice that GM tends to standardize the wire color codes to some degree.
Unfortunately, the Holden E40 colors are different than the GM norm. If you look at the GTO vs. SSR info above, you can see there's little commonality.

Tipsy
Old 04-01-2015, 04:39 PM
On The Tree

Speaking of colors, the errors between my harness and the diagrams are even more numerous!

Now, since this harness came from Current Performance I don't know if it's a modified factory harness or scratch-built by them. I don't think they would change the colors...
Old 04-01-2015, 04:46 PM
TECH Resident

Speaking of colors, the errors between my harness and the diagrams are even more numerous!

Now, since this harness came from Current Performance I don't know if it's a modified factory harness or scratch-built by them. I don't think they would change the colors...
I'm nearly certain it's scratch built. I can't say for sure, but I'm guessing they probably use the "normal" GM color scheme as opposed to the Holden/GTO colors.

Tipsy
Old 04-01-2015, 04:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

One more way would be to "ohm" the wire(s) and see which pin they go to on the E38 ECM. I had to do that with my 2007 Escalade harness when I was re-working it. There were some wires that I did not have a clue as to what they were for.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 98 Likes on 68 Posts

Not necessary as I have a spreadsheet showing every flavor of GM ecu with the correct color coded wires listed. V6, V8, and LT1, LFX, etc.

I would not take pleasure verifying the resistance of almost 120 wires on each variation of the harnesses.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:24 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

This forum is so helpful!

Those guys got the discrepancies lined out for you.

We use the Corvette diagrams and color coding on our LS2 E40 harnesses. There are a few reasons for this, one of the reasons being the discrepancies.

Bill

Standalone LS Swap Harnesses IN STOCK!
LSX, LTX Stand alone swap harnesses. S10 LSX conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses, 24x conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses. LT1 to LSX PLUG AND PLAY Harnesses.
sales@bp-automotive.com
www.bp-automotive.com
1-888-467-4491

Quick Reply: 06 GTO LS2 Stand-Alone Harness Not Matching GM Schematics