Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The G-Body Swap Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 01:35 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I should have never come here tonight....

"Click the last page, there will never be a GN with an LS and pictures on the last page, these guys are just gabbin after 60+ pages..... oh wtf!! Damn"

Old 03-27-2015, 05:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

What are u using? I forgot hooker mounts with corvette spacing? Front drive looks great car will be sick!
Old 04-12-2015, 11:51 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Streetracer09
My motor is starting to look more complete. I used the Corvette C6 accessories and they were pretty darn bolt on.

I sat the turbo down to start taking measurements. I'm going to go with the truck manifold on the drivers side and the custom log header with crossover to the rear.

What size throttle body are you using?
Old 04-13-2015, 09:11 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by AllGo'N'Show
I should have never come here tonight....

"Click the last page, there will never be a GN with an LS and pictures on the last page, these guys are just gabbin after 60+ pages..... oh wtf!! Damn"

I was trying to make sense of this post but I had to give up, lol
Old 04-13-2015, 09:13 AM
On The Tree

My Throttle body is a Stock LS throttle body from Potz on Ebay. It's fully ported and polished and powdercoated in Chrome (polished aluminum look)

I ended up paying about $150 for it while he was running a sale in his Ebay store. It included all sensors. I felt it would be more than sufficient for now. Later on I plan to switch to the Holley intake and bigger TB.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:55 PM
Staging Lane

Streetracer,

The reason I ask is because I have a 90mm Edelbrock on my LS2 but I believe the MAF to be for a stock LS1 (PSI Conversion harness). Are there bigger MAF's for an LS1 design? Am I limiting the air intake?

Thanks
Old 04-14-2015, 09:35 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Streetracer09
I was trying to make sense of this post but I had to give up, lol
I believe he was saying he didn't expect there to be pictures of a swapped GN on the last page because the thread is so many pages he expected just to see chatter and now he is sucked in to the thread and regrets it.
Old 04-14-2015, 11:10 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by '87 Monte SS
Streetracer,

The reason I ask is because I have a 90mm Edelbrock on my LS2 but I believe the MAF to be for a stock LS1 (PSI Conversion harness). Are there bigger MAF's for an LS1 design? Am I limiting the air intake?

Thanks

The good thing about me is I won't BS you about this topic. The truth is, I usually run Stand alone's on my Fuel injected cars so off with the MAF. That makes me have little to no experience with them. I had an '04 Mustang with a 76mm Turbo that made around 700 to the wheels. It was an MAF car that had a larger MAF but a stock TB. If you have a N/A car I can't see there being a huge restriction from a reduced MAF. Best thing to do is measure the diameter with a caliper and than measure the TB to see what the actual difference is. You can always port an LS1 MAF and I think POTZ on Ebay does the Ported MAF as well. I'm sure there is places that make a larger LS1 MAF
Old 04-15-2015, 09:55 PM
9 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Has any one tried the new hooker long tubes with 1" setback plates instead of the hooker mounts? I need to do something different then my hedman longtubes that only offer a few inchs of ground clearance.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by onebadbowtie86
Has any one tried the new hooker long tubes with 1" setback plates instead of the hooker mounts? I need to do something different then my hedman longtubes that only offer a few inchs of ground clearance.
I know they've been tried with the BRP mounts (failed), but I've not heard of someone trying them with swap plates. The swap plates provide a higher engine height than what is provided by the Hooker mounts, so I envision collector interference will the floor at the very least.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:56 AM
9 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Really? My engine with the swap plate sits much lower then the brp mounts. I plan on switching out my gm musclecar pan to the holley pan, but my muscle car pan is about sitting on the k member. Looking at overlays, the front half of the holley pan isnt any shallower then the gm pan. Maybe my cars different, but my engine sits very low in the cradle.

Tod, do you think the headers interfering with the floor pan would be the main concern?
Old 04-16-2015, 09:58 AM
On The Tree

Does anyone know what size plugs would be needed to cap off the trans cooler and oil cooler lines in the factory G-body radiator?
Old 04-16-2015, 10:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by onebadbowtie86
Really? My engine with the swap plate sits much lower then the brp mounts. I plan on switching out my gm musclecar pan to the holley pan, but my muscle car pan is about sitting on the k member. Looking at overlays, the front half of the holley pan isnt any shallower then the gm pan. Maybe my cars different, but my engine sits very low in the cradle.

Tod, do you think the headers interfering with the floor pan would be the main concern?
Yes, if you are using typical 3/8" thick swap plates stacked on top of the factory engine side brackets then your engine height will be considerably higher than it would be compared to using the Hooker engine brackets.
The front of the Holley 302-2 pan is 1.25" tall, so be sure you're not confusing that pan with the Holley 302-1 pan, which is more than an inch taller at its front end. I really can't say whether you would have fitment issues anywhere else beside at the collectors as I've never attempted to install the Hooker headers with anything other than the Hooker engine brackets and crossmember.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:08 PM
TECH Resident

Here is a few teaser pics of my GN's new powerplant should be sitting it in the frame real soon it's been to long! Sorry about the sideways pics dont know why that happened!
Attached Thumbnails The G-Body Swap Thread-img_0668.jpg   The G-Body Swap Thread-img_0669.jpg   The G-Body Swap Thread-img_0670.jpg  
Old 06-14-2015, 09:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 6togo
Here is a few teaser pics of my GN's new powerplant should be sitting it in the frame real soon it's been to long! Sorry about the sideways pics dont know why that happened!
Looks good so far! What intake is that? Do you have a link? I tore my LY6 down for the cam swap, head gaskets and studs and have been looking for an intake like that but the ones i found on EBAY looks similar but after some research a lot of guys are having fitment issues.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:24 PM
Teching In

Default Not to be that guy :-/

Hole Lee crap!! I think this is the thread I've been missing in my life haha, just wanted to say that before I post my question,

Alright guys so some of you may know I have this question in threads already,(Sorry for the clutter) but kinda figured I'd ask here also, seems to be really good info here.

Alright guys, I've got a 78 elky that I'm doing a 5.3 swap w/a 4l60e and a 9" getting everything gathered up, motors in the shop getting rebuilt and would really like to start this swap as soon as possible lol but I got a couple questions

Question 1. Radiator ... I'd like to stay as close to the stock radiator size as possible, and keep a trans cooler in radiator if possible, does anyone have any suggestions or know of anything that will for sure work without much modification, when it comes to the trans I don't like to test theories too much :-P I haven't really found anything I'd be willing to buy and test lol

Question 2. Trans cooler
If I can't find a radiator w.a trans cooler built in but I'm probably just looking in the wrong places lol but if I can't find one what trans cooler would you guys recommend?

Question 3. Fragola push lite fuel hose.
I've been doing a little research the past couple days and was wondering if anyone has any experience with this stuff and the AN style fittings from summit. This hose really seems to be cheaper and I called a hose place in town today who said he's had some experience with this stuff and said it really works.

I think that's all I got for now guys, again sorry for the clutter on the site, and thanks in advance guys
Old 06-19-2015, 05:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Use f body f rad and fans work fine and cheap
Old 06-19-2015, 09:29 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jimmyg
Use f body f rad and fans work fine and cheap
Thank you
Old 06-19-2015, 10:24 AM
On The Tree

I would consider a Buick Grand national Radiator. They have built in trans cooler and will fit in the G-body location no problem.
Old 06-19-2015, 10:45 AM
On The Tree

I have a few questions about running wires from the fuse box. Does anyone here think they have a good handle on this topic?

Quick Reply: The G-Body Swap Thread