Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Dynoed the Z06 today...... Not Happy!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 08:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dynoed the Z06 today...... Not Happy!

Alright guys somebody here tell me what is wrong with my car. 01 Z06 with mods listed in sig best pull was 425hp and 384 tq. The car is tuned almost perfect A/F is right on, timing is set at 27* and it is not throwing codes. My buddy, who tuned it, tired more timing but the car didn't respond with any extra power. We are considering a whole new setup at this point. New cam and a new set of heads. The goal is to get the car in the 480-500 rwhp range. I bought the car with the cam already in it and we just added the intake last week, along with a set of flowmatched 36# injectors. I saw another post where a cam only 01 Z06 made 433 and 399 so I know its possible. What are we missing here guys?

Last edited by Vols Fan; 05-12-2009 at 08:08 PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Travis those numbers are on par brother. I think you were expecting a little more and when you didn't get it, it amplified negatively how you felt. When my 2000 was a lg pros, bullets catback, vara ram cai, fast 78, ported tb, and g5x3 cam I made 400 rwhp 380 rwtq. Your car is making an additional 25 rwhp because of the ls6 heads you have.

My afr heads could add another 25+ rwhp. You would need a ported fast 92 and tb, asp ud pully and ewp to make a run at 500 rwhp. Keep in mind though once you get to that kind of power your stock clutch and rear diff aren't going to like it too much.

How about swapping cams (VRX5 possibly) and adding a few boltons and going for 465-475 rwhp and have incredible drivability and better low end torque then the g5x3 can give you ??

Be prepared to upgrade your clutch and rear diff if you plan on getting on it.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I usually see Z06's make those numbers with the G5X3 cam but with the LS6 intake & stock TB. I would have expected 450ish since you have the 90/90.
BTW, thats a proven cam. I owed one. I dont think thats the problem.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Did you check the basics? How many miles are on the car?
I'm thinking simple stuff:
fuel pressure (filter changeable?)
clean injectors and air filter
plugs
clean the MAF wire

Does it idle well? Is it pulling cleanly? It looks like there is a dip at around 4200 that I am curious about.

I'm not trying to bust chops or anything, just that with what is kind of a proven combo, it makes me think the heads/cam choice may not be the issue.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:48 PM
TECH Regular

Well the cam may be proven but all it proved today was that it couldn't make 400+ rwtq. I'm not as concerned about the lack of HP as I am the lack of TQ. I'm going to give Ron at Vengence a call tomorrow and see what he thinks the best course of action to take would be.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:54 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jmilz28
Did you check the basics? How many miles are on the car?
I'm thinking simple stuff:
fuel pressure (filter changeable?)
clean injectors and air filter
plugs
clean the MAF wire

Does it idle well? Is it pulling cleanly? It looks like there is a dip at around 4200 that I am curious about.

I'm not trying to bust chops or anything, just that with what is kind of a proven combo, it makes me think the heads/cam choice may not be the issue.
The car has 23k miles. I don't know what the fuel pressure is but the injectors are brand new and the air filter was cleaned less than two weeks ago. The plugs could be the issue but I won't know that until I pull them tomorrow. What plugs should I be running and at what gap? I've never heard of cleaning the MAF wire. You are talking about the wire inside the housing? What do you clean it with? It idles fine and pulls really strong. It does idle way down if the AC is on. Yeah the dip at 4200 had us wondering too.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:02 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Vols Fan
Well the cam may be proven but all it proved today was that it couldn't make 400+ rwtq. I'm not as concerned about the lack of HP as I am the lack of TQ. I'm going to give Ron at Vengence a call tomorrow and see what he thinks the best course of action to take would be.
Well if you think that one doesn't make any low end torque jump up to the VR6 and lose even more torque.

What springs and pushrods do you have in the engine now? Looks like there's a problem of some sort starting at 5500rpm. You didn't have and knock retard did you?
Old 05-12-2009, 09:19 PM
TECH Regular

I don't plan on using the VR6 cam. I have Patriot Dual Gold springs with 8k miles on them. I don't know about the pushrods, I didn't do the cam install (previous owner). No the knock is not retarding time. We put 30* in the car and it made no difference.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

you need to talk to Ron about the vrx4 and my heads as a combo. the cam will make a lot power under the curve. also the bump in compression will boost your torque numbers.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:03 PM
Staging Lane

Does your buddy know how to tune? With a much smaller cam, 227/231, a ported fast 90/90, LT, ud pulley, ford 30#, and vararam I made 433/402. I suspect its in the tune. Its on the lower end on power, imho.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:13 PM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

You're gonna need a good set of heads (320+) to hope to reach 480 on an LS6. There are guys with H/C/FAST LS2's with the extra cubes and only do 470-490
Old 05-12-2009, 11:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Vols Fan
The car has 23k miles. I don't know what the fuel pressure is but the injectors are brand new and the air filter was cleaned less than two weeks ago. The plugs could be the issue but I won't know that until I pull them tomorrow. What plugs should I be running and at what gap? I've never heard of cleaning the MAF wire. You are talking about the wire inside the housing? What do you clean it with? It idles fine and pulls really strong. It does idle way down if the AC is on. Yeah the dip at 4200 had us wondering too.
You can clean the MAF wire with MAF cleaner and a q-tip ---be VERY careful.
I much prefer GM/Delco plugs but might go with others if I were spraying or running FI. Tuned well, the Delcos go 100k, no other brand I have seen does that consistently. Even with the low miles, I'd pull a couple of plugs and check - or just swap them, 8 years is 8 years.
The fact that your idle drops with the AC on makes me think your tuning may not be optimized. IIRC, you have separate idle speeds with AC on and off and if something like that is missed, what else isn't ideal? Or it could just be that one thing...
If you get it back on the dyno, it would be a good idea to check fuel pressure under load - just to rule it out.
If your car has a fuel filter, change it - don't remember if it does or not (I think so...).
If you get past all that and still don't find it, Ron is a good bet and I'd be thinking mechanical.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Professional Tune might help. Not saying that your friend doesn't have a clue, just saying that a couple things that get missed could lead to a good amount of power being left on the table.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:09 AM
TECH Regular

Well there is another guy here local that has a shop that wants to look at the car. I'm going to pull the plugs after work and see what I can see. Thanks for the tips guys.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:12 AM
TECH Junkie

I personally think the numbers are fine. Maybe look at the timing in the middle of the power band and take come out but other then that it is what it is. If you think your numbers are low I'd hate to hear what you think my car is then.

07 C6 with X3, ported Fast 90 - 436. As Jay stated above, I think you are expecting way to much with what you have. If you are expecting 450+ cam only keep wishing. It isn't a reality in the real world unless the heads have been milled and the compression was raised.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Travis: I read my email this morning and Ron said the vrx4 with my heads and your motor would make SICK power. He didn't speculate on a number but I would guess 465+ rwhp with a perfect idle and amazingly good manners when driving. Power under the curve and lowend torque would definately be greatly improved.

So put the money down on my heads and get ready to swap cams for a more friendly DD'r with a ton of punch. The lower lift numbers should extend the life of the comp 921's as well.

Didn't you say you and your friend could do the installs ?? Just make sure you go to VR so Mike can tune it for you and get you the best possible numbers w/o sacrificing safety.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:35 AM
On The Tree

Allign is absolutely right.. heads make all the difference in the world..

Look at my setup.. My little *** baby cam isnt doing my heads/combo justice..but it sure is sneaky..

Your a FAST ported 92, EWP and nice set of heads away..
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
C6.pdf (43.9 KB, 101 views)
Old 05-13-2009, 07:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by cowboyup
Allign is absolutely right.. heads make all the difference in the world..

Look at my setup.. My little *** baby cam isnt doing my heads/combo justice..but it sure is sneaky..

Your a FAST ported 92, EWP and nice set of heads away..
Thanks for the backup Cowboy !!!

Keep in mind that Travis already has a Mamofied fast 90, and it was matched to a set of afr 205's already, jumping to a ported 92 wouldn't do much if anything. So....by adding my heads and pulling that g5x3 for VR's vrx4 he'll pickup power EVERYWHERE, especially under the curve where we spend most of our driving time anyways!! The bump in compression, the increased port velocity and additional flow of the afr 205's, its a win win situation. I already advised him to hold off on the ewp unless he's got enough money that it won't be missed. I thought he'd do better spending 600 on a set of rear tires or towards a set or rear tires. What's power without traction ?? Can you say DR's will be needed asap?
Old 05-13-2009, 07:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
Travis those numbers are on par brother. I think you were expecting a little more and when you didn't get it, it amplified negatively how you felt. When my 2000 was a lg pros, bullets catback, vara ram cai, fast 78, ported tb, and g5x3 cam I made 400 rwhp 380 rwtq. Your car is making an additional 25 rwhp because of the ls6 heads you have.

My afr heads could add another 25+ rwhp. You would need a ported fast 92 and tb, asp ud pully and ewp to make a run at 500 rwhp. Keep in mind though once you get to that kind of power your stock clutch and rear diff aren't going to like it too much.

How about swapping cams (VRX5 possibly) and adding a few boltons and going for 465-475 rwhp and have incredible drivability and better low end torque then the g5x3 can give you ??

Be prepared to upgrade your clutch and rear diff if you plan on getting on it.

You're not going to hit 500rwhp with a G5X3 cam. Get that cam out of there and get some TFS 215s with a custom cam to hit 500rwhp
Old 05-13-2009, 07:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
Thanks for the backup Cowboy !!!

Keep in mind that Travis already has a Mamofied fast 90, and it was matched to a set of afr 205's already, jumping to a ported 92 wouldn't do much if anything. So....by adding my heads and pulling that g5x3 for VR's vrx4 he'll pickup power EVERYWHERE, especially under the curve where we spend most of our driving time anyways!! The bump in compression, the increased port velocity and additional flow of the afr 205's, its a win win situation. I already advised him to hold off on the ewp unless he's got enough money that it won't be missed. I thought he'd do better spending 600 on a set of rear tires or towards a set or rear tires. What's power without traction ?? Can you say DR's will be needed asap?
I agree those heads would wake things up a bit, but I disagree with this magical cam selection. An off the shelf XE-R 228/230 isn't going to do anything but gain a little down low maybe. Never thought I'd see the day where you are downing LG's products in favor of Vengeance.

The OP needs to check his valvetrain before changing anything!