Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sticky request: cam reviews/information

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 03:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default sticky request: cam reviews/information

Maybe I missed something, but I think a sticky with different cams and reviews by owners would go over good, and alleviate some of the cam questions on which to go with and why.

something along the lines of:
cam
mods
power
driveability
installation notes
tuneability
maybe even some vendor feedback

I'm thinking we can break this down into all sorts of cams and reviews. Different sections with multiple reviews by different people. Not just a thread like "i want 400rwhp" or "looking at a 224...whatever" somewhere people can go to to decide their cam. instead of picking a cam, then researching it, then going a different direction. Also, I know the sticky's above have some awesome information pertaining to cams, mild-wild, and a few awesome reccomendations.

Me personally I dont have my cam in yet, but will be in the "custom" section with some Pat G goodies.

Let me know what you guys think.
Old 01-29-2010, 03:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

While I always think it is worthwhile to organize data and update stickies, I am not always sure that one can alleviate many of the multiple cam questions we see.

I say that not to discourage you from your project, but just my experience in viewing how cam questions can come from so many different angles.

What I would like to see is more objectivity in some of the cam reviews. I have seen some very good threads that have dyno-tested various cams. I found those helpful, both others saw it as a shop bias.

A nice review of differing cam specs, IVC, overlap, etc, is always helpful. I would support your project, but there are a lot of traps involved in reviews and opinions.

At least that is my opinion.

..WeathermanShawn..
Old 01-29-2010, 03:49 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by zacht
Maybe I missed something, but I think a sticky with different cams and reviews by owners would go over good, and alleviate some of the cam questions on which to go with and why.

something along the lines of:
cam
mods
power
driveability
installation notes
tuneability
maybe even some vendor feedback

I'm thinking we can break this down into all sorts of cams and reviews. Different sections with multiple reviews by different people. Not just a thread like "i want 400rwhp" or "looking at a 224...whatever" somewhere people can go to to decide their cam. instead of picking a cam, then researching it, then going a different direction. Also, I know the sticky's above have some awesome information pertaining to cams, mild-wild, and a few awesome reccomendations.

Me personally I dont have my cam in yet, but will be in the "custom" section with some Pat G goodies.

Let me know what you guys think.
Great suggestion. It is a pain to search all the postings trying to find someone that uses the same cam that you are thinking about.

I blew a head gasket on my car and am having it repaired. Since I am having everything pulled off I decided to bump up to a bigger cam. I currently have a 228/228 576/563 on a 113 and want to find someone that uses the TSP 233/239 595/603 on a 112. I have had very little luck finding anyone that can give me feedback on this cam.

Your idea of a sticky would be awesome... Thanks for suggesting it and I hope we see it happen.

Bill
Old 01-29-2010, 05:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Shawn- yeah i figure its going to be a long shot, but would be a pretty sweet collective thread for people looking to do a cam swap but are unsure of what they're going to get. Also seeing what different combos work and don't. We'll get some more opinions and compile info.

Bill-Im also down for this. I noticed about a month or two ago when i was trying to decide on the cam, decisions were hard and was led one way and another, why i went with a pat g. searching for answers on particular cams is tough work, well not tough, just time consuming.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zacht
Shawn- yeah i figure its going to be a long shot, but would be a pretty sweet collective thread for people looking to do a cam swap but are unsure of what they're going to get. Also seeing what different combos work and don't. We'll get some more opinions and compile info.

Bill-Im also down for this. I noticed about a month or two ago when i was trying to decide on the cam, decisions were hard and was led one way and another, why i went with a pat g. searching for answers on particular cams is tough work, well not tough, just time consuming.
No definitely go for it! I think I am on my 5th cam..so you will get 5 reviews there!

...WeathermanShawn..
Old 01-29-2010, 05:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

LOL, hell yeah man, ill start and try and find information/links to different cam setups. good information, stuff that guys can look at to compare cams, THE thread to compare cams!
Old 01-29-2010, 07:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

So can I give a G5X2 review?
Old 01-29-2010, 08:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

alright, ill try and kick this thing off with some information. I'll start by saying this is information I have ran across and feel can be useful. Also, for the first time cam guys, the sticky "cam guide" by jrp has some awesome information in it! this will also start with stock 346ci in mind, might have some useful heads/intake combination as well. Also, im not doing this to advertise for any of our sponsers, im not picking favorites, so if anyone can add to this, lets do it!

alright first section- smaller cams (not all, but anywhere from stock to a sweet upgrade) roughly up to popular 228 duration cams.

additional threads:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...ion-under.html

LS6 cam- (01 385hp, 02-04 405hp)

01 specs (dur .050) 207/217 .525/.525 116LSA
02-04 specs (dur .050) 204/218 .551/.547 117LSA

From what I've gathered the 02-04 cam's seem to be a little more potent than the 01. These cams can be had cheap and are a decent upgrade over your stock LS1 cam, probably worth 10-15hp. I've seen these are popular with FI applications. should require little tuning, but my take is every car could use a tune. stock idle/drive characteristics.

good sites:
http://www.idavette.net/hib/02ls6/page2.htm

GM Hotcam
specs
218/227 int/exh @ 0.05" duration
0.525" / 0.525" int/exh lift
112 LSA
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...m-hot-cam.html

GMPP ASA Cam
specs
226/236 int/exh @ 0.05" duration
0.525" / 0.525" int/exh lift
110 LSA
This cam is about like the 02 LS6 cam, unless you have an awesome flowing exhaust. Typically found with true dual cars. Said to sound pretty mean and have a nice lope to it.

TR220
specs
220/220 .551/551 available in 112 or 114 LSA
seems to be a sweet addition, seen dynos between 340-370, the higher number with some mild headwork and some bolt ons.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...p-headers.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...two-tunes.html

TSP 220/220
specs
220/220 .581/.581 available in 112, 114, and 116 LSA

TR224
specs
224/224 .563/.563 available in 112 or 114 LSA

TSP 224R
224/224 .581/.581 available in 112, 114, and 116 LSA
https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...ta-inside.html

Alright, im going to stop there, this wasnt much work, and please dont crack my ***** on this, if my information is skewed or you have something to add please do it, id like to put in good comparison links, dyno charts, and great threads with information on that said cam. Also, i didnt cover all cams here, and i havent got it organized from smallest to largest. If you have one that fits in here let me know! post it up! And i havent got it all in there, but im working on it, my internet sucks, so does picking through cam information. Ill keep digging and adding to what i got!

Last edited by zacht; 01-29-2010 at 08:46 PM.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

lazylongboarder- hell yeah man, im down for any and all information.

shawn-down for all your reviews too.

basically ill include different reviews incorporated under that cam, and links to other threads with information. as you can see from above, its pretty damn bare, but i think we can make it pretty kick ***.

maybe not a whole bunch of reviews for one cam, as that can get tedious and end up reading the same thing, if someone before you had a great review and left something out, post it!

Last edited by zacht; 01-29-2010 at 09:22 PM.