Cam Motion Low Lash Solid roller FRH LS3 ported heads 542whp/484wtq

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 06:55 PM
Launching!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

OP,

Nice results!

Kip,

A bit off topic, but perhaps related enough. Can you comment on the use of a short-travel hydraulic lifter as compared to moving up to the full solid roller setup? I haven't found a lot of information on the short-travels, but from what I've read, they seem to offer similar advantages (quicker acceleration, less chance of losing pressure).

I just recently purchased a cam that you cut (EPS lobes) and am happy with the results. I wanted to add the short-travel lifters, but wasn't able to get a set in time and I was in a hurry to make a deadline. I'm curious what I would have picked up with them and how it would compare to this LLSR setup.

Thanx!
Old 03-30-2015, 08:47 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I told you. Now you got 1 really sick engine. And really simple. Those heads would luv more lift, trust me. LOL...
Great cam!
Old 03-30-2015, 08:54 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lil john
I told you. Now you got 1 really sick engine. And really simple. Those heads would luv more lift, trust me. LOL...
Great cam!
Haha John. You did in fact tell me. Thanks for the heads up on Chris Frank. Those heads coupled with this cam came out better than I had hoped. If I could thank one person in particular, it would have to be Kip from Cam Motion. Great guy. I think I'll have to make a road trip down to Louisiana sometime.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:31 PM
Banned

Make sure to get some good, Coon *** home cooking while there.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:32 PM
10 Second Club

Nice Results!!!
Old 03-30-2015, 09:50 PM
Banned

Bolo you got a helluva build your self, I think going with a solid could get you some nice results.
I would think that a cam with under .700 lift would be great on springs, also if I'my not mistaken the heads stalled above .700 so going with more lift would be good and may make HP but really its not needed or wanted as the heads have reach the cnc port design limits.

Oh I noticed that you're going with a Marty HR cam.

Last edited by lil john; 03-31-2015 at 08:08 AM.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Congrats OP those are very stout numbers loving the fact that more playerz are finding their way to solid roller lifters cams.

I'm in the middle of a heads and cam stock block LS3 as well.

Just take a look at the torque line how starts high and stays up and drops so little compare to hydraulic cams.
Old 03-31-2015, 01:17 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BOLO
Nice Results!!!
If this doesn't sway you to go with the LLSR then I don't know what will

OP those are AWESOME results on stock compression and cubes and the cam isn't nothing out of this world size wise these cams are about to become more and more popular!! Can't wait till I get mine done this has me thinking 600rwhp is going to be possible!
Old 03-31-2015, 05:50 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CAMSTER
Congrats OP those are very stout numbers loving the fact that more playerz are finding their way to solid roller lifters cams.

I'm in the middle of a heads and cam stock block LS3 as well.

Just take a look at the torque line how starts high and stays up and drops so little compare to hydraulic cams.
Originally Posted by Lawhead
If this doesn't sway you to go with the LLSR then I don't know what will

OP those are AWESOME results on stock compression and cubes and the cam isn't nothing out of this world size wise these cams are about to become more and more popular!! Can't wait till I get mine done this has me thinking 600rwhp is going to be possible!
Thanks guys. John messaged me this morning and said he wasn't done tuning when he sent that graph! He said he still wants to make some more tweaks, but the car made 551whp and 504wtq! I'm still in disbelief. This is 427 territory.

Last edited by 1sick_eg; 03-31-2015 at 06:40 AM.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:42 AM
10 Second Club

Man that's freaking awesome!! This pumps me up more and more for my build

High compression
Single plane
Bigger cam

Keep us posted on final number OP this really is going to change how people cam these cars IMO
Old 03-31-2015, 08:16 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

505ft-lbs from a SBE LS3? What's the compression ratio?
Old 03-31-2015, 08:19 AM
Banned

He's a pump gaser. That solid what woke things up.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:26 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Lawhead
Man that's freaking awesome!! This pumps me up more and more for my build

High compression
Single plane
Bigger cam

Keep us posted on final number OP this really is going to change how people cam these cars IMO
Sounds like an awesome build! I've learned quite a bit about these Ls3's doing this build. It's turned out better than I could have hoped.

Originally Posted by KCS
505ft-lbs from a SBE LS3? What's the compression ratio?
10.7:1. Heads were not milled when FRH had them unless they did it without me knowing. Lol. I said the same thing when John texted me the new numbers this morning. Like I said, on this same dyno with the same operator, it made 475whp and 436wtq on a 232/238 114lsa hydraulic cam and stock heads. I never planned on building this car for the strip, but I'm planning on buying a set of radials for the strip now. I feel like I owe it to the community to get some et's for numbers like these.

He's a pump gaser. That solid what woke things up.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:49 AM
Banned

Before I go to work I would like to say that 1 sick engine you place the numbers I've known that a Ls3 head could put up, crazy part is with stock cubes. I'm not trying to start any mess but everyone believes or thinks that a after mart or a cathedral heads makes some out of this world performance on the street.
Crazy part about this is your only 40rwhp from the so called glory, cathedral heads there using on 427 ls7 short block 2 get 600rwhp. All with a cam that places the Rpm under 7 grand. With stock cubes!

Sick think about how big my cam is 256 and 757 lift in a 408...... with those stage1 heads

Last edited by lil john; 03-31-2015 at 09:01 AM.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:02 AM
KCS

Originally Posted by 1sick_eg
10.7:1. Heads were not milled when FRH had them unless they did it without me knowing. Lol. I said the same thing when John texted me the new numbers this morning. Like I said, on this same dyno with the same operator, it made 475whp and 436wtq on a 232/238 114lsa hydraulic cam and stock heads.
Are they saying peak horsepower is at 6850RPM? Stock unported intake, right?
Old 03-31-2015, 09:06 AM
10 Second Club

These low lash solid rollers will gain more and more attention as time goes on
Old 03-31-2015, 09:10 AM
Launching!

Before I go to work I would like to say that 1 sick engine you place the numbers I've known that a Ls3 head could put up, crazy part is with stock cubes. I'm not trying to start any mess but everyone believes or thinks that a after mart or a cathedral heads makes some out of this world performance on the street.
Crazy part about this is your only 40rwhp from the so called glory, cathedral heads there using on 427 ls7 short block 2 get 600rwhp. All with a cam that places the Rpm under 7 grand. With stock cubes!

Sick think about how big my cam is 256 and 757 lift in a 408...... with those stage1 heads
I'm really impressed with the FRH ported heads and the ll solid combo. I'm interested to see how yours does.

Originally Posted by KCS
Are they saying peak horsepower is at 6850RPM? Stock unported intake, right?
I believe so KCS. I'm trying to get more information but I know he's slammed right now. if you look at the original graph, hp just continues to climb to redline. I want to see the whole graph with rpm instead of time. Stay tuned.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:29 AM
KCS

Originally Posted by 1sick_eg
I believe so KCS. I'm trying to get more information but I know he's slammed right now. if you look at the original graph, hp just continues to climb to redline. I want to see the whole graph with rpm instead of time. Stay tuned.
Cool, okay. I don't mean to sound like I'm trying to discount the results, but those are pretty incredible numbers considering the compression is under 11:1 and that it's through a stock intake manifold. Normally, the runner length keeps the RPM peak down. A peak HP RPM above 6500 is pretty uncommon regardless of cylinder head and valvetrain combos.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:15 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by KCS
Cool, okay. I don't mean to sound like I'm trying to discount the results, but those are pretty incredible numbers considering the compression is under 11:1 and that it's through a stock intake manifold. Normally, the runner length keeps the RPM peak down. A peak HP RPM above 6500 is pretty uncommon regardless of cylinder head and valvetrain combos.
I don't blame you. Here is my original dyno with the hydraulic cam and stock heads.

And here is with FRH stage 1 cnc program and the LLSR from Cam Motion

Old 03-31-2015, 02:07 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by KCS
Valve control.

It's all about feeding the pistons demand for airflow, and doing it at the RIGHT time.

When the lifter can't supply the valve with the appropriate lift and duration at the time the cylinder is demanding it's airflow(especially at high RPM where CFM demand is highest), power will never continue to climb or even stay constant. It will fall off like a sack of bricks.

Since the solid lifter doesn't have to pump up, bleed down, hold lift etc etc etc it doesn't have to contend with this issue of valve motion not matching what the tappet is doing. The solid lifter transfers every bit of tappet motion into valve motion and gives the valve the duration and lift it needs when it needs it.

If the cam profile is right, a solid will blow a hydraulic roller out of the water in power production. It will peak at a higher RPM, be more stable to a higher RPM and cylinder pressure will be higher resulting in the torque figures seen here, even with lower compression.

Quick Reply: Cam Motion Low Lash Solid roller FRH LS3 ported heads 542whp/484wtq