Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 03:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default TEXAS LONGHORN FOOTBALL FANS & ALUMNI v. muschamp

this is HUGE, one of the best things that can happen for our program

http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.c...111808aab.html

Muschamp to remain at Texas

Assistant coach to remain as Defensive Coordinator and eventually succeed Mack Brown as head coach.

Click here for a printer friendly version Printer-Friendly Format

Click here to email to a friend E-mail this article

Nov. 18, 2008

The University of Texas has struck an agreement with Defensive Coordinator Will Muschamp that will keep him in Austin and eventually lead him to the head coaching position for the Longhorns, Athletics Director DeLoss Dodds said on Tuesday. Details of the contract are still being finalized but it will start with Muschamp's salary being raised to $900,000 on January 1, 2009.

"This is a plan that has been enthusiastically agreed to by Mack Brown, President Powers and the Board of Regents," Dodds said. "With the landscape in college football and all of the changes around the country, I've been looking at this for the last couple of years. When it's not working, you have to go outside and make changes. Things are going well here, it's working, so it's best to be prepared to build from inside and that's what we're doing.

"Mack has provided outstanding leadership and continues to elevate our football program to a level as high as anyone in the country. We hope he stays a long time and he will be our coach as long as he wants, but this assures us that when the time comes, we have the right guy to step up into that position and continue to build on the great things we're accomplishing."

Muschamp joined the Longhorns this season after highly successful stints at Auburn, LSU and in the NFL with the Miami Dolphins. As defensive coordinator, he helped LSU claim a National Championship in 2004. He was a finalist for the Broyles Award (nation's top assistant coach) in 2007.

"This is first and foremost about keeping Will at Texas," Brown said. "He's had several opportunities to interview for head coaching jobs, but we wanted him to stay here. I'm going to continue coaching as I'm enjoying it. I have eight years left on my contract, I am not thinking at all about moving on, it's simply that I think Will is a great young coach, a perfect fit for this place and he wants to stay. Nothing will change in our structure. He will continue in his roll as defensive coordinator and when the time comes, will be ready to step in and take over the program.

"Everything we've talked about since we've been here, the premise of our program, has been about family. This is about family. When at some point I do step away, the fans can be assured the program can continue like it is. It will not miss a beat because the family will continue. Will believes in all the same principles we believe in. This assures recruits, our coaches and our players that Texas football will just keep on rolling."

Muschamp's Longhorn defense is leading the Big 12 in rushing defense (82.5 ypg/25th NCAA) and scoring defense (19.5 ppg/25th NCAA). UT ranks second nationally with four sacks per game. The Horns have held all of their Big 12 opponents below their season scoring average and limited six foes to 14 points or less.

"I was really excited when they presented the opportunity to me," Muschamp said. "I'm not in any hurry to be a head coach and hope Coach Brown's around for many more years. I'm just glad I'm going to be able to stay at Texas. This is the top program in the country, my family loves it here and there's no better person to watch and learn from about running a football program than Coach Brown.

"President Powers, DeLoss Dodds, the administration and the leadership at Texas are outstanding. Coach Brown and a great support staff are in place. I've really enjoyed the kids in our program and everyone I've been around here. Texas has all the resources, facilities and a great recruiting base. It is the elite program in the country. No disrespect to any of the other places I've worked, but this is a really special place."

A native of Rome, Ga., and 1994 graduate of Georgia, he was four-year lettermen at safety for the Bulldogs (1991-94). He was selected as defensive co-captain as a senior and was a part of two bowl teams. He also earned a spot on the SEC Academic Honor Roll in 1993.

"When I first came here in January and my wife, Carol, and boys, Jackson and Whit, stayed back in Auburn, I got such a great feel for the community and people. When Carol and the kids moved here in May, they fell in love with Austin. If I would have left, I would have left on my own because she was staying here. She really loves the community and the people, and our kids love their schools. It's just a special place and somewhere I want to be for a long time.

"I really appreciate the confidence that President Powers, DeLoss Dodds, the Board of Regents and Coach Brown have in me. I hope Coach Brown is here for a long time and look forward to continuing to coach our defense, learning from him and eventually carrying on the outstanding Texas tradition."

Last edited by | Powered by Satan |; 11-18-2008 at 04:02 PM.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:57 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man I was wondering about this since ESPN was talking about him being a top candidate for a head coaching vacancy next year. I am glad they are keeping him around because he is a very intense coach and he has done an AWESOME job with the D this year.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:59 PM
LS7 Member

God our program owns. Hook'em!
Old 11-18-2008, 04:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Now the Aggies have to worry about this for years to come
Old 11-18-2008, 04:02 PM
TECH Junkie

OH.

HELL.

YES.

-Mike
Old 11-18-2008, 04:03 PM
Texas Director

Holy crap!!!!! Mack has handpicked his successor and couldn't have picked a better choice for whenever he decides it's time to step down. Wow, the rich just keep getting richer!! Can you say unlimited resources!!!! Hell yes!!

Bad news for the rest of the Big 12 for the longterm future.

A LOT of schools had their sights set on Muschamp as their head coach after this season was over. This is GREAT, GREAT news for the future of Texas Longhorn football!!!!

Hook'em!!

Last edited by mmiller; 11-18-2008 at 04:10 PM.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:06 PM
On The Tree

Hell yes...that's awesome.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:11 PM
Banned

Yes!!!
Old 11-18-2008, 04:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by mmiller
Holy crap!!!!! Mack has handpicked his successor and couldn't have picked a better choice for whenever he decides it's time to step down. Wow, the rich just keep getting richer!! Can you say unlimited resources!!!! Hell yes!!

Bad news for the rest of the Big 12 for the longterm future.

A LOT of schools had their sights set on Muschamp as their head coach after this season was over. This is GREAT, GREAT news for the future of Texas Longhorn football!!!!

Hook'em!!

seriously... this means some fruitful years to come... hell pour on more recruits.

man, the intensity he brings and the future potential is going to be amazing
Old 11-18-2008, 04:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

this is awesome, Will loves being a DC too much to be a head coach right now anyway!
Old 11-18-2008, 04:20 PM
Ginger Hater

I heard the year being thrown around is after the 2009 season...its an excellent move from texas to get Muschamp tied up early in the game...plus he doesn't even have to worry about going to smaller school and then working his way up like many other coaches.

its a good move by texas to do this.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:34 PM
Texas Director

Hopefully this will seal the deal for Texas to land Jamarkus McFarland from Lufkin, who is the #1 rated D-lineman in the nation!
Old 11-18-2008, 04:44 PM
Launching!

Yep, this has been quietly going on behind the scenes over the past few weeks. There are still a few details yet to be ironed out but from what I hear (as well as the athletic dept finally making the announcement official) I'd say it's pretty much a done deal. This is indeed a glorious thing for our program.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Spazdout
I heard the year being thrown around is after the 2009 season.
Nah, it will be well past the '09 season. They are already discussing details here and there regarding Mack's next extension and that's years down the road. Trust me, there's no hurry from either side and Mack will be around for years to come still.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Christmas came early... man this just gets me pumped for future years of football
Old 11-18-2008, 05:18 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by | Powered by Satan |
Christmas came early... man this just gets me pumped for future years of football
+1
Old 11-18-2008, 05:44 PM
Texas Director

Originally Posted by | powered by satan |
christmas came early... Man this just gets me pumped for future years of Texas football
x 3!!
Old 11-18-2008, 06:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by | Powered by Satan |
Now the Aggies have to worry about this for years to come
they have to worry about NOT being the worst football team in the BIG 12 south every year
Old 11-19-2008, 12:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

stilll great news for texas football
Old 11-19-2008, 10:00 AM
12 Second Club

This is awesome. They doubled his salary to 900k to lock him down. Definately should help with recruiting as Garett Gilbert is the only 5 star we have right now i believe.