Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Project: Stang' Bang: New Edge Turbo Build... class? Track?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 09:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Project: Stang' Bang: New Edge Turbo Build... class? Track?

Here goes, Thanks for all the insight and time talking with me Phil.

Project Stang' Bang-

99 mustang
5.3 Litre (will forge when it breaks, already collecting parts)
Borg S475 (will upgrade to s88 after this year)
Boost control is undecided...
Comp Cam
powerglide
8.8" ford rear end (undecided on gear choice, could use some help)
E85
AJE everything and Team Z out back.
Holley HP EFI with their Coils
Triple walbro fuel system with full return and Aero 1000 reg.

Local class starting up, i was originally gonna do an RX7, long story short, its gone, enter New Edge.

Anyway, local class, 76mm max, 3400lb with innercooler. I was originally gonna build the motor all out, and go with the 88mm turbo, but this class opened up and i saw a way into a heads up class utlizing what i already have and learning the ropes. So this is what we are doing for atleast the first season. Maybe 2. Class is designed to be a 5.7 to 6.x class. 1/8th miles, heads up, with some rules about breaking out, weight penalty for going faster. I wont win, i only hope to qualify. Basically same story as before, only with less power.

Inspiration for this build is obvious, Phil and the renegade, Thanks for all the help Phil!

Went down and met Jimmy from AJE and we discussed the project in length, and worked with me on the parts ill need and gave me some good pointers for the radial stuff. We are gonna work out the front suspension in the spring before the season starts. Great people down their and was more then willing to sit and talk for a few hours. Even gave me solid mount with my k member, I think some people thought they didnt offer them, he whipped me up a new member with solids right before my eyes.

Anyway, got the welder back two days ago and dont plan to waste anytime, im still up in the air about the headers/manifolds, the stainless JBA gto headers i was gonna use wont fit, so im either gonna have to use corvette manifolds or man up and make a set, but i suck, so thats probably out of the question.

Last edited by JAX04; 06-26-2012 at 06:46 AM.
Old 12-26-2011, 07:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Time for a little Update...

My good buddy Dave, whom will be my primary hand in help for this project, came over around noon today. we ate some Ball Park, Deli Style hot dogs which are amazing, and then got to work.

Started off with the picture above, noting gone from the engine bay except the engine and trans. Removed the stock Kmember and all the supporting hardware and replaced with the AJE cross member and stock a arms. I know, they are ugly, but i needed to get the car down and around the approx ride height to start other projects. I did this by Cutting 1.5 coils out of each front spring, and it brought it down to approx where it will be. This was calculated using no math, just a guess and it came out about right, LMAO! Hey, if Foose can do it, so can I!

Anyway, After getting the Kmember in, we decided to get the motor in, this was set back due to needing to drill a hole in the engine block for the oil dipstick tube. 04' LM4 and Fbody Pan equals no hole for oil dipstick. Trust me, just the boss was their, no hole, no plug, no nothing. SO we drilled it out.

After that, we decided to button it back up and mount drop the motor into its final resting place (for this season, next season, car will change colors and all the visual aspects will be addressed).

Anyway, everything is back on for the moment, and this is how she sits, and i will begin fabricating the new turbo setup once the new manifold gets here, when the valve springs get here, the new cam will go in. and i will move forward with plumbing and wiring. Getting their. Uhg..

Also, turbo placement is not final, although this is what i would like the most it might end up mounted very similar to Dville's fox build. Depends on how i feel about it. Ive got enough piping to do it both ways. We'll see.

OH, and ALSO, the AJE piece, TOP quality, i had absolutely ZERO fitment issues, it bolted right in with ZERO problems.

Would like to gain a little more clearance in the front, which water pump and pulley setup is the slimmest? Not to mention, i cannot run this water pump anyhow...

Old 12-26-2011, 08:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pretty cool build
Old 12-27-2011, 12:54 PM
TECH Resident

subscribed!
Old 12-27-2011, 12:58 PM
TECH Resident

one thing to think about with that mounting is you will have to run a small custom radiator and a custom inter cooler (assuming a2a), for me this wasn't an option since i am running air conditioning and i couldn't size a condenser that much smaller (not to mention it takes a 31" x 19" x 4" thick aluminum dual pass radiator to keep it cool w/ac on). not sure how much street duty it'll see, but the pinch weld like i have mine does have it's advantages.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Thanks man, I hadn't really decided on how much street duty its going to see.

Im def still up in the air on the placement, ill need to figure it out quick though as the new manifold should be here by the end of the week. So ill try and get cracking this weekend.

Thanks for the heads up Dville,

Oh, also, no a/c for me
Old 12-27-2011, 01:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JAX04
Thanks man, I hadn't really decided on how much street duty its going to see.

Im def still up in the air on the placement, ill need to figure it out quick though as the new manifold should be here by the end of the week. So ill try and get cracking this weekend.

Thanks for the heads up Dville,

Oh, also, no a/c for me
some of my friends think i'm nuts for being okay with a 5" open downpipe out the side in front of the front wheels yet i wont give up a/c, but here in texas it gets HOT and i put 2k+ miles on this thing a year, no way can I do that w/out a/c!
Old 12-27-2011, 01:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by dville_gt
some of my friends think i'm nuts for being okay with a 5" open downpipe out the side in front of the front wheels yet i wont give up a/c, but here in texas it gets HOT and i put 2k+ miles on this thing a year, no way can I do that w/out a/c!
Oh, didnt notice you were from texas, yeah, it doesnt get as hot up here, lol.

Open 5" for the win, going out driver side fender in front of the wheel as well, lol.

I ran an open 3" on the 6.0/tc78 combo on my GTO last year and it wasnt all that terrible, the turbo's do a good job of calming them down, im sure this one being much larger and much less restriction will be louder, but what the hell right?, its a race car.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:53 PM
On The Tree

Hey man... looks great. Maybe I missed it but why'd you ask to be removed from No Rotors?
Old 12-27-2011, 02:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by DavidPHumes
Hey man... looks great. Maybe I missed it but why'd you ask to be removed from No Rotors?
Thanks man, its not near as clean as your car is, lol. But itll get their, im just wanting to get it up and running before i take more time out to get it looking real nice.

I sent you a PM as well bro.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:53 PM
Teching In

nice build lol ill see u sat to get some more done bub and for a lil bit of this ------------>
Old 12-28-2011, 06:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by needls1bad
nice build lol ill see u sat to get some more done bub and for a lil bit of this ------------>
For those of you who dont know, Needls1bad is said "buddy dave" lol.

Dave, Rich is on his way here RIGHT NOW with the 8.8.

Valve springs will be here by friday.

We have some things to do this weekend

Stay tuned all, progress is being made, also, been talking with DIY autotune, MS3X is possibly on its way to my home...

Oh, got tracking info, new exhaust manifold will here on the 3rd, turbo kit will be started at that point.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:03 PM
Teching In

i love rich that guy is great and hell ya thets get it done bub
Old 12-28-2011, 07:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by needls1bad
i love rich that guy is great and hell ya thets get it done bub
Darn Tootin', lol.

Damn Rum and Coke tonight. Got me buying **** i shouldnt be....
Old 12-28-2011, 07:38 PM
Teching In

Darn Tootin', lol.

Damn Rum and Coke tonight. Got me buying **** i shouldnt be....
o bs its all stuff we need
Old 12-28-2011, 09:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Love new edge stangs, especially with LS motors and turbo's. Mind posting the rules up for this class? Sounds similar to the NDRRA RS275 class, just that they are running low 5.40's here in NC with the 76mm's at 3250-3300ish although there are several that have to weigh 3400 and run 5.50's.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Fbodyjunkie06
Love new edge stangs, especially with LS motors and turbo's. Mind posting the rules up for this class? Sounds similar to the NDRRA RS275 class, just that they are running low 5.40's here in NC with the 76mm's at 3250-3300ish although there are several that have to weigh 3400 and run 5.50's.
The rules are not final, but we have been told they will be Jan. 2nd. Thats when they are trying to finalize them.

From preliminary stuff, 3350 for 76mm and sb. 3400 with IC and another 50lbs for a Stand alone ECM/PCM.

They are going to make this class stay 5.70 from what they are saying. Adding weight to us if we go faster then 5.70 etc. When they finalize them, i will be sure to post them up.

They are telling us its a done deal, so im working towards it.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:27 PM
10 Second Club

The rules are not final, but we have been told they will be Jan. 2nd. Thats when they are trying to finalize them.

From preliminary stuff, 3350 for 76mm and sb. 3400 with IC and another 50lbs for a Stand alone ECM/PCM.

They are going to make this class stay 5.70 from what they are saying. Adding weight to us if we go faster then 5.70 etc. When they finalize them, i will be sure to post them up.

They are telling us its a done deal, so im working towards it.
Yea they can weigh 3300 with a sb under 440 c.i. and a 76mm, add 100lbs for an a2w, add 100lbs for aftermarket ecu, add 50lbs for aftermarket heads on ls motors. I know the two top turbo cars in that class are actually on E85 and are non intercooled, one runs meth inj. and the other doesn't. Meth injection or a2a is allowed at 3150 but non i/c gets to lose 50lbs. so they weigh 3100 and one runs 5.40's one runs 5.50's.

Seems like this is a popular type class that is popping up.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fbodyjunkie06
Yea they can weigh 3300 with a sb under 440 c.i. and a 76mm, add 100lbs for an a2w, add 100lbs for aftermarket ecu, add 50lbs for aftermarket heads on ls motors. I know the two top turbo cars in that class are actually on E85 and are non intercooled, one runs meth inj. and the other doesn't. Meth injection or a2a is allowed at 3150 but non i/c gets to lose 50lbs. so they weigh 3100 and one runs 5.40's one runs 5.50's.

Seems like this is a popular type class that is popping up.
Do you know who is running the E85 and meth? I would like to talk with them. I am considering running a water injection with my E85 and no intercooler.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:35 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Wicked69
Do you know who is running the E85 and meth? I would like to talk with them. I am considering running a water injection with my E85 and no intercooler.
Yes I do. I'll pm you so not to clutter Jax's thread. Also edited my post they have to weigh 3300 also I don't know where the hell I got 3150 from that's the n20 weight.

Quick Reply: Project: Stang' Bang: New Edge Turbo Build... class? Track?