Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Should I do Polyurethane Engine Mounts?
YES
91.84%
NO
8.16%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Polyurethane Engine Mounts. Yes or No? Pros & Cons? (edit)

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 08:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polyurethane Engine Mounts. Yes or No? Pros & Cons? (edit)

Ok, I am about to do a complete exhaust and while I have the manifolds out I wanted to replace the factory mounts with new Prothane Polyurethane mounts.

Someone recently told me NOT to because the car was my daily driver. What are the pro's and con's with these? Are they that bad for a daily driver? What should I expect to experience?

Thanks for ANY and ALL information that you can provide.
Old 02-11-2006, 08:27 PM
12 Second Club

there are no bad side effects to these mounts, you will love the way the car drives afterwards. A defenate sotp differance.
Old 02-11-2006, 08:52 PM
11 Second Club

i put a poly trans and tq arm mount in, and poly motor mounts are next. ($50) but i gotta get some qoutes on labor

and i grinded off the 2 bumps and dident use the preload plate and i dont get any vibrations
Old 02-11-2006, 08:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do it...mine are going to be here Monday-Tuesday! Can't wait to get those puppies in.
Old 02-11-2006, 09:30 PM
TECH Addict

Yes do it. Prothane motor and trans mounts here.
Old 02-11-2006, 09:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thank you SO MUCH for the info. I am glad I didnt just listen to one person and sell them.

Thanks again everyone!! Now to get the True Duals and Headers so I can start the install!!
Old 02-11-2006, 09:53 PM
TECH Addict

Whoever you talked to may have confused them with solid mounts.
Old 02-11-2006, 09:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

That is a good possibility.
Old 02-11-2006, 10:08 PM
11 Second Club

whats a good price to have them installed, i dont have the tools to do it my self (19yo)
Old 02-11-2006, 10:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Wow.... I dont know, but I am sure that it will not be cheap.

What tools dont you have to do it?
Old 02-11-2006, 10:44 PM
11 Second Club

all i have is some stockets and vice grips
Old 02-11-2006, 10:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm sorry, I am not trying to highjack your thread, but this has to do with the original post. I am also going to be installing Longtubes, and TSP true duals soon and am also wanting to install prothane motor mounts while i am at it. i also wanted to do a trans mount, but i was told not to because if i install both the motor and trans mounts it will crack my bellhousing and that it was a bad idea to install both. Is that true??
Old 02-11-2006, 11:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98RedBird
I'm sorry, I am not trying to highjack your thread, but this has to do with the original post. I am also going to be installing Longtubes, and TSP true duals soon and am also wanting to install prothane motor mounts while i am at it. i also wanted to do a trans mount, but i was told not to because if i install both the motor and trans mounts it will crack my bellhousing and that it was a bad idea to install both. Is that true??
I actually read that it's bad to do only the trans mount because it can "crack" the trans housing when the motor torques. Sounds like bs to me.

Sorry to re-hijack, but what trans mount are you guys running? The two I've seen available look to be too big for ls1 cars. I know that the Energy Susp. one is too big. Granted, some people have "shaved" them down, or not used the preload bar thing, taken them to a belt sander, etc. I don't know much about the Prothane trans mount, but it looks like it's also bigger than the regular rubber mount that keeps the pinion angle correct.
Old 02-11-2006, 11:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Poly motor mounts are great when you cam your car. Hold the motor still and you do not feel vibration from them.

The poly transmount on the other hand created a few vibrations that I could not tolerate on a daily driver. But I had to use it because for some reason the stockers were too soft causing my trans to hit the floor on hard shifts.

Go for the poly motor mounts, they are great. Just don't get solid ones for a daily driver.
Old 02-11-2006, 11:26 PM
On The Tree

I have them on my car to and I also like the way the car feels with them, now I have the poly trans mount to and when I first put it in it vibrated like hell, to where I took it off. Then I read about where you grind off the little rubber bumps on the bottom and do not install the preload plate and I now like the combo of trans mount and motor mounts. To me it was definetly worth the hassle of putting in the motor mounts. Good luck and DEFINETLY do the mounts. Oh and I drive my car everyday.
Old 02-12-2006, 12:09 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 4.6gt-2-ls1ta
I have them on my car to and I also like the way the car feels with them, now I have the poly trans mount to and when I first put it in it vibrated like hell, to where I took it off. Then I read about where you grind off the little rubber bumps on the bottom and do not install the preload plate and I now like the combo of trans mount and motor mounts. To me it was definetly worth the hassle of putting in the motor mounts. Good luck and DEFINETLY do the mounts. Oh and I drive my car everyday.
More info on this tranny mount mod? Mine Vibrates like crazy especially in 3rd gear. Thanks
Old 02-12-2006, 12:34 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Poly motor mounts are the ****. Poly trans mount produces a slightly noticable vibration, but you get used to it. It only did it when i was accelerating up to speed, now i don't even realize it.

Alot of my wheel hop went away after the poly trans mount, and my shifter barely moves at all now.
Old 02-12-2006, 12:56 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BlackHawk T/A
Whoever you talked to may have confused them with solid mounts.
I have solid mounts on my DD and I really dont think they are bad. Compared to my buddy's bone stock Z, the difference in vibration goes unnoticed to 99% of people whove ridden in our cars and is extremely minimal to me. But yea if I was you I would probably do prothane!
Old 02-12-2006, 01:08 AM
On The Tree

I have the prothane motor and tranny mounts...I would just get them to eliminate the risk of your y-pipe banging against the floor....There is a little more vibration in the car but almost unnoticeable...I would def. do it again
Old 02-12-2006, 02:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

wow, I guess I'm too picky. I had the poly motor and tranny...did the mod to the tranny mount and it was WAY too much for me. I have all bolt ons, stage 1+ LS6 heads, 228R cam and spec stage 3 clutch it's also my DD. I went back to the stock mounts and put hangers on my Kooks catted Y pipe, I'd never do poly again.

Quick Reply: Polyurethane Engine Mounts. Yes or No? Pros & Cons? (edit)