Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

average oil consumption?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2005, 02:24 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default average oil consumption?

i got a question on this. i have a 2001 ws6 t/a, and well, i gotta add a quart about every month give or take. exhaust is normal color/doesnt smell like burning oil, no oil in the radiator, and sure as hell no leaks. car only has 19,xxx miles on it. what gives. i know like on the dakotas the belly pan gasket is known to go out, and that pretty much leads to about the same oil consumption. anyways, anybody else think this is odd? cus i sure as hell do, especially for a car im paying(well, we are paying) 500.00 a month on. someone hook me up.
Old 02-18-2005, 10:30 AM
TECH Junkie

i used to burn about a quart every 3k or so...i put in that lucas stuff now and its not so bad anymore
Old 02-18-2005, 11:09 AM
Launching!

I never had to add a single quart of oil during the 5 summers that my bottom end was stock. The engine hardly burned 1/4 of a quart by summer (5000 miles avg.). The only time the engine took more oil was during the early break-in period (about 1 qt.).

I got a 382 stroker now and it burned about 3 quarts during the first 1000 miles (break-in). But since then, consumption is back to normal.

IMO you oil consumption is higher than normal (at first sight). But it depend on many things. What are your driving habits? The conditions of driving (bumper-to-bumper, city, highway, etc...) How many miles by month? And if you're the first owner, how did the car was broken-in? (could be the rings that were not seated properly).

OTOH, I've also heard of other LS1's that got elevated oil consumption like your's. There seems to be lot of variation in oil burned between LS1's.
Old 02-18-2005, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

My 98 doesn't use any oil.
Old 02-18-2005, 11:58 AM
TECH Addict

My 98 doesn't use any either.
Old 02-18-2005, 12:32 PM
TECH Regular

I also have a 2001 T/A and i burn a good amount of oil also. I checked the same places and have found nothing wrong with it. I am still burning about 1 quart every 1500 miles. But i am very rough on my car. I downshift for stop lights and go through the gears while im down shifting. I sometimes let it rev higher than i should during normal driving. I just love the sound of it. I really beat the hell out of the car anytime i get a chance to. That is the reason that i bought it in the first place. I will probably try that lucas stuff during my next oil change and see how that works out for me. Hopefully it will help out. Hey 2001T&A are you running a synthetic oil. I have heard that syntheitcs burn oil faster than normal oil. Might be a myth but could be worth checking out. I think a lot of it depends on your driving habits. My sister used to driver her boyfriends ZO6 and it went through about a quart every 1500 miles also. They even had the dealer check it out and do a oil consumption test on it. and everything checked out ok. Then when they broke up and he drives it he doesnt have to add a single quart of oil per 3000 miles. Oh and one last thing, is it a daily driver?
Old 02-18-2005, 12:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 99 SS and I use about 1-1.5 quarts every 3000 miles, but it depnds how much autobahn driving I do. Normal daily driving I burn about a quart but with a lot of 130mph+ trips down the autobahn it can get over 1.5 quarts. Its definately a driving conditions thing, but I also don't think its burning. I've seen some post before about the PCV system consuming itand getting into the throttle body. I guesssome folks have installed a catch can in the line. Maybe thats it...
Old 02-18-2005, 01:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My 99 WS6 is pretty damn good on oil consumption. I had previously heard about the oil loss in the ls1, but I have yet to see it.
Old 02-18-2005, 02:02 PM
TECH Addict

Has anyone noticed if their car starts burning oil at a certain number of miles? Or do they burn a ton of oil from the beginning?
Old 02-18-2005, 02:10 PM
TECH Resident

I bought my car when it had 39K miles on it. It's an 01.

I was using 5w30 and it burnt about a quart every 3K miles. I switched to 10w30 and I changed my oil about 1K miles ago and it hasn't burnt any yet.
Old 02-18-2005, 02:12 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think it's bimodal; some burn from the get-go, some don't.
My oil consumption is nil.

There was a Cyl1 overbore problem that supposedly was
fixed by '01? If you found #1 plug all crusty and the rest
clean, that would point to this (pray it isn't, as your hopes
of a warranty replacement are like zero at this point
even if you were the original owner).

There is a tendency to suck oil through the PCV system
especially under WOT. People use catch-cans to settle
this down. I use a little plastic fuel filter inline with the
PCV fresh-air hose, the kind that has the barbs on top and
a sump. So far it hasn't caught enough oil to notice but I
do very little true-WOT driving. My theory is that if you
have enough blowby, and no pressure drop across the TB,
and some pressure drop from the air filter your fresh-air
PCV line will be under suction while the crankcase is
pressurized and you will back-draw oil fog up the unchecked
line. Seen a real heavy oil track from the fresh air port and
down the throat, in the used TB core I ported.

The low-tension ring, short-skirt pistons in this motor are
prone to lose oil control when revved high under no load.
So, don't.
Old 02-18-2005, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

my car burns about 1 quart per 1k so it happens. That is also partly due to a bad valve seat, and crapy valve seals but mostly it's doe to bad rings, and bad pcv sytem wich we all got. get a catch can that will help
Old 02-18-2005, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

mine takes a quart every 2000-2500 miles or so. I put a really rigged catch can into the PVC and have already caught around a shot glass of oil in the past 1000 miles. I'm going to replace my welded soup cans catch can with a real one now since it seems to really catch a good deal of oil.
Old 02-18-2005, 04:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

It seems to be hit or miss.

I've got a 2002 and beat the hell out of it. Downshift, peel wheels, etc., don't have a catch can (Just 90 mod) and don't use 1 drop of oil and there is no oil or carbon in the intake at all. I now have 35,000 miles on the car

I know revving the car with no load can cause oil to be burnt. Driving habits will increase oil usage but there is still a problem somewhere.

As for the Lucas stuff and other oil additives. Mostly what they do is thicken up the oil which causes less blowby or leaking.
Old 02-18-2005, 05:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

2000-70K-about .5 to a quart every 3500 miles. And about half a shot sized amount of oil in the catch can.
Old 02-18-2005, 05:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

With my engine the PCV oil mist get's right pass my catchcan, leaves almost no oil in the catchcan but totally leaves an oily film all over my intake and the back of my throttle body, also causes KR at WOT. now I run a hose from the crankcase to the open air. No more oil in the intake or all over my intake runners.
Old 02-18-2005, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Does anyone know how to seperate the oil mist from the crankcase air? maybe run a catch can with an oil/air seperator together maybe?
Old 02-18-2005, 06:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Driving habits play a huge role in oil consumption. In the winter I do not consume much, if any oil at all by 3k miles. During the summer when i'm out cruzin, drag racing, street racing ect I will burn about 1/2 + qt every 3k. I usually buy 7qts a change to occasionaly add oil.

I Just switched from M1 5w30 to German Castroil 0w30, we'll see if it burns any at all with this brand oil.

Most oil consumption is caused by the defective PCV design. It might help to replace it, or to install a catch can in the pcv line before it enters the manifold. If its catching a large amount of oil then thats the cause.
Old 02-18-2005, 06:37 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SmokingWS6
Driving habits play a huge role in oil consumption. In the winter I do not consume much, if any oil at all by 3k miles. During the summer when i'm out cruzin, drag racing, street racing ect I will burn about 1/2 + qt every 3k. I usually buy 7qts a change to occasionaly add oil.

I Just switched from M1 5w30 to German Castroil 0w30, we'll see if it burns any at all with this brand oil.

Most oil consumption is caused by the defective PCV design. It might help to replace it, or to install a catch can in the pcv line before it enters the manifold. If its catching a large amount of oil then thats the cause.
I know that's true, but I actually drive the hell out of my car. Not quite like it is stolen...but pretty close.
Old 02-18-2005, 07:51 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Another_User
My 98 doesn't use any either.
One more 98 that doesn't burn oil here. 98k miles, and I'm not easy on the throttle, daily driver, lots of stop and go.

Quick Reply: average oil consumption?