Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Pinion angle vs. traction?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 10:10 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pinion angle vs. traction?

Last week at the strip I was blowing the tires off on almost every pass unless I preloaded the car on the converter. Anyway I was checking over the suspension last night and saw my pinion angle was set at +1* after my S60 install.

What effect if any does the pinion angle have on traction at all? Does it help drive the tires down at all?
Old 05-20-2009, 10:23 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Racin96ss
Last week at the strip I was blowing the tires off on almost every pass unless I preloaded the car on the converter. Anyway I was checking over the suspension last night and saw my pinion angle was set at +1* after my S60 install.

What effect if any does the pinion angle have on traction at all? Does it help drive the tires down at all?
Hello, you need to get your pinion angle correct. The main purpose of pinion angle is to get your driveline angle correct to avoid binding and vibration issues. Here is a link to our video on the correct way to set the angle. If you have any questions polease give me a call.

http://www.bmrtvonline.com/video_detail.php?mId=3788
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 05-20-2009, 10:26 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BMR Sales
Hello, you need to get your pinion angle correct. The main purpose of pinion angle is to get your driveline angle correct to avoid binding and vibration issues. Here is a link to our video on the correct way to set the angle. If you have any questions polease give me a call.

http://www.bmrtvonline.com/video_detail.php?mId=3788
Thanks, maybe I should have been more clear. I know the pinion angle avoids binding/ vibration but I am wondering more what effects it has on traction at the strip. The angle will be changed from where it currently is.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:48 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The pinion angle is secondary, the real traction
deal is the torque arm angle (with LCA angle,
it sets the instant center). You need to adjust
this at the nose of the TA, not at the pumpkin.
The pumpkin pinion angle adjustment is just to
get driveline angles matched.

If all you do is crank on the adjuster you'll be
spinning your wheels. Heh.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:52 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Thanks, maybe I should have been more clear. I know the pinion angle avoids binding/ vibration but I am wondering more what effects it has on traction at the strip. The angle will be changed from where it currently is.

It has no effect like jimmy said traction is all in the torque arm and lower control arms.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 05-20-2009, 01:48 PM
10 Second Club

Well, I have the spohn tunnel mount TA and UMI lcas with the relo bracket. What should the IC be and how do you figure it from the 2 angles?

I currently have no adjustment in the nose if the TA and my lca are on the lowest hole in the rear. My car is lower in the front some with QA1's but the rear is SLP level 2 spring and QA1 rear shock.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:02 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Well, I have the spohn tunnel mount TA and UMI lcas with the relo bracket. What should the IC be and how do you figure it from the 2 angles?

I currently have no adjustment in the nose if the TA and my lca are on the lowest hole in the rear. My car is lower in the front some with QA1's but the rear is SLP level 2 spring and QA1 rear shock.
The only way that you can adjust your instant center is with the rear of the lower control arms. Instant center is the intersect point where the lower control arms centerline and torque arm centerline would intersect. If your car hooks good then unloads the tires after you get 30 or 40 feet out move your control arms up a hole.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 05-20-2009, 03:38 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BMR Sales
The only way that you can adjust your instant center is with the rear of the lower control arms. Instant center is the intersect point where the lower control arms centerline and torque arm centerline would intersect. If your car hooks good then unloads the tires after you get 30 or 40 feet out move your control arms up a hole.
thanks for the info. I did a little digging on goggle and found the information I was after.

Thanks.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:47 AM
On The Tree

Can you post the link? I am interested as well.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:22 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by want297z
Can you post the link? I am interested as well.

Sure, here you go.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...-launch-4.html

Quick Reply: Pinion angle vs. traction?