Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Cryogenic Treatment

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 09:49 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cryogenic Treatment

I'm thinking of having my lt1 383 block Cryogenic treated... 2 major questions. How much more HP should it to be able to take before and after being treated? its a 2 bolt main 383 stroked with ARM main studs...

Also if it is already bored will Cryogenic treatments change the bores at all? Or cause any issues with my rotating assembly that is already fitted for the block?
Respectfully Champ.

If this needs to be move to the lt1/lt4 I understand but I figured its a bit more advanced of a question..
Old 12-01-2009, 06:01 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sent you a link to the place that I use to treat my tranny parts. Give them a ring. I know they can help.

Mec
Old 12-01-2009, 07:50 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Greaseymec
I sent you a link to the place that I use to treat my tranny parts. Give them a ring. I know they can help.

Mec

Just wonderin if you would share that. I lost my guy recently and need a new shop to send shafts.

Thanks
Old 12-03-2009, 07:48 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 3fingas
Just wonderin if you would share that. I lost my guy recently and need a new shop to send shafts.

Thanks
PM sent
Old 12-05-2009, 04:00 PM
TECH Regular

do all final machining before sending out to treatment.... the process will not change any dimensions...
Old 12-05-2009, 07:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SUCK MY SS
do all final machining before sending out to treatment.... the process will not change any dimensions...
Good to know! BTW HP ratings that it will be able to take before and after any guess? Or any one that knows?
Old 01-02-2010, 03:12 PM
Staging Lane

I'm confused, are you cryotreating the block only or the rotating assembly too?... I am not a proponent of cryo treating, but my perspective is that cryo treating may be beneficial for materials with incomplete phase transformations when cooled to ambient temperature. This is mainly applicable to steels which, depending on their carbon content, have some amount of retained austenite. The cryo treating process is thought to tranform the retained austenite into martensite which is harder and more brittle. I think the main benefit of this would be wear resistance and I would expect no legitimate increase in HP rating.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Drivn2Fast
I'm confused, are you cryotreating the block only or the rotating assembly too?... I am not a proponent of cryo treating, but my perspective is that cryo treating may be beneficial for materials with incomplete phase transformations when cooled to ambient temperature. This is mainly applicable to steels which, depending on their carbon content, have some amount of retained austenite. The cryo treating process is thought to tranform the retained austenite into martensite which is harder and more brittle. I think the main benefit of this would be wear resistance and I would expect no legitimate increase in HP rating.

Listen to this^^, even if you don't understand the metallurgy part.

I also do not think cryo treating a block will significantly increase it's ability to handle rpm or power. If you think you need more strength, 4-bolt steel caps would be a much better and proven way to go.

Priority for engine money:

1) Heads, intake and valvetrain. That's what makes the power!

2) Short block. Enough to handle ^^^ plus a little.

Many folks reverse those ^^. They then have a low powered engine with an overkilled short block. Ain't fast, but boy is it strong!

My $.02

Jon

Quick Reply: Cryogenic Treatment