Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

destroking a ls1

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 09:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default destroking a ls1

i'm new to lsx engines but not to the old gm engines so please be kind,

i'm trying to figure out if i can use the crank and rods out of a 4.8 and use the pistons from a ls1 in the ls1 block.

is the pin height the same on both pistons?

and how much can a early ls1 block [originally with perimeter valve cover bolt heads] take for and over bore? i've been told the iron liners can take a +20, is this true.

i need to find this out before i pull the trigger on a deal i have come across.

i know you all are gonna ask "why destroke it"! well i plan on using it in a very lightweight sports car and really dont want alot of torque. this application will be better with a quick reving motor that will be more forgiving to lighter weight drivetrain.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:57 PM
Teching In

nothing?

is this really breaking new ground?

unknown territory?

i posted same question on my 4x4 forum and had my answer in a hour.....
Old 10-06-2012, 03:28 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's been discussed many times on here. Many people have planned doing this, but no one has delivered.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:42 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by messix
i'm new to lsx engines but not to the old gm engines so please be kind,

i'm trying to figure out if i can use the crank and rods out of a 4.8 and use the pistons from a ls1 in the ls1 block.

is the pin height the same on both pistons?

and how much can a early ls1 block [originally with perimeter valve cover bolt heads] take for and over bore? i've been told the iron liners can take a +20, is this true.

i need to find this out before i pull the trigger on a deal i have come across.

i know you all are gonna ask "why destroke it"! well i plan on using it in a very lightweight sports car and really dont want alot of torque. this application will be better with a quick reving motor that will be more forgiving to lighter weight drivetrain.
Cant answer your first question. But the LS1 is an alloy block with iron liners. In general these can only be honed out 0.005"

Absolutely not 20 thou.

I'm sure if yo search online you'll find the pin height of a standard LS1 piston
Old 10-20-2012, 06:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Why not just start with a aluminum 5.3? It'll be a lot cheaper and still be light weight and take the revs with a good valve train without having to much low end grunt. You never mention exactly what its going in care to share?
Old 10-20-2012, 07:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I think this is right.

4.8 stroke: 3.27
4.8 rod : 6.276
4.8 deck height: 9.240

5.7 stroke:3.62
5.7 rod: 6.098
5.7 deck height: 9.240

3.62/2=1.81
3.27/2=1.635

5.7:
1.81+6.098=7.908
9.240-7.908=1.332

4.8:
1.635+6.276=7.911
9.240-7.911=1.329
Old 10-24-2012, 08:01 PM
Teching In

thanks guys.

the ls1 ended up not being available any more...... i was quoted a price and when it came to wanting to look at it, it was "sold" already.

the car i plan on building is a v8 porsche 914. [yes there is room to put it in there, more so than the sbc for the lack of a distributor... oh and you have to delete the water pump on both and use an outboard water pump.]

i have had this car for several years and have always intended on doing this to it.

i have several friends that have done the sbc version and that is what i first wanted to do but when i realized that the ls motors are making stupid power pretty easily and cheaply i started keeping an eye out and inquiring around to friends and other car guys around for what i was looking for.

my first plan was a alloy 5.3 block with the 4.8 internals and that is still a fall back, but a ls1 block would open up more choices for heads. and i would think that the mind set for cars with ls1's is that when the need to upgrade or overhaul the 5.7 the logical step would be to go to a larger bore block and dump the 3.898 block..... so the ls1 market should not be all that expensive and be readily available.

this project is not on the front burner and i can and have sat on it, i can wait until the right deal comes around.

i have heard of all the cheap deals that have been had but have not found the sources for said deals. craigs list people seem to think that the ls motor in the 150,000k truck that is totaled is worth more than a whole unwrecked truck is worth [screwy].

so any one up in the pnw know of a alloy block in either a 5.3 or 5.7 that is available?
Old 11-19-2012, 03:02 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found my LS1 short block off craigslist for $100.00. Look through parts listings and take a good look at the ones that need a rebuild. My block has some vertical scratches in one of the cylinders, that may be able to be honed out.

If I can hone it, I'll use it as is. If not, companies like Earl's sell blocks that are re-sleeved with 4.165 bores for $2,200.00, and they give you $1,300.00 core for an aluminum block..... yeah I will pay $1,000.00 in the end for a big bore block.

And btw, if you used a 4.8L crank in a block with a 4.165 bore, you get a 354ci motor. I bet this combo would have plenty of torque and be fairly rev-friendly. In my build I will save $$$ and just re-use the LS1 crank, which nets a 395ci.

Just one way to be thrifty with aluminum LS blocks........
Old 11-19-2012, 02:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks guys.

the ls1 ended up not being available any more...... i was quoted a price and when it came to wanting to look at it, it was "sold" already.

the car i plan on building is a v8 porsche 914. [yes there is room to put it in there, more so than the sbc for the lack of a distributor... oh and you have to delete the water pump on both and use an outboard water pump.]

i have had this car for several years and have always intended on doing this to it.

i have several friends that have done the sbc version and that is what i first wanted to do but when i realized that the ls motors are making stupid power pretty easily and cheaply i started keeping an eye out and inquiring around to friends and other car guys around for what i was looking for.

my first plan was a alloy 5.3 block with the 4.8 internals and that is still a fall back, but a ls1 block would open up more choices for heads. and i would think that the mind set for cars with ls1's is that when the need to upgrade or overhaul the 5.7 the logical step would be to go to a larger bore block and dump the 3.898 block..... so the ls1 market should not be all that expensive and be readily available.

this project is not on the front burner and i can and have sat on it, i can wait until the right deal comes around.

i have heard of all the cheap deals that have been had but have not found the sources for said deals. craigs list people seem to think that the ls motor in the 150,000k truck that is totaled is worth more than a whole unwrecked truck is worth [screwy].

so any one up in the pnw know of a alloy block in either a 5.3 or 5.7 that is available?
Nice! I'm building a full tube chassis custom bodied 74 914 and plan on going with a turbocharged Honda drivetrain.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

I dont know why you would want to go through the trouble of building an oddball destroked deal when you can use a standard LS engine and just pull alot of timing from the areas you dont want torque via tuning to have the same effect. Later on if you want the power down low you can just add the timing back in without having to build a new engine.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

An L33 would fit the bill for what you're wanting to achieve. A word of caution though, it will only be enough for a little while. Ask me how I know.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mark21742
Nice! I'm building a full tube chassis custom bodied 74 914 and plan on going with a turbocharged Honda drivetrain.
sounds cool!

have you heard of 914world.com?

check it out there's a really good tight community there that is a huge resource on everything 914.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JS01
I dont know why you would want to go through the trouble of building an oddball destroked deal when you can use a standard LS engine and just pull alot of timing from the areas you dont want torque via tuning to have the same effect. Later on if you want the power down low you can just add the timing back in without having to build a new engine.
i won't be using the engine management system, i'm going old school with a carb and msd. i want to run a very clean and sanitary old school look on this.

i will be some what traction limited and do not need a high torque engine. the gearing will favor running around at 3000-4000rpm and not looping around at 1500rpm.

this is not the type of car that you guys are used to, no burn outs, no clutch drop launches, this will be a car that will chase down crotch rockets on the twistys. and confuse the chit out of most people when it rolls though the local cruise lot.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

The MSD box will be able to manage the timing how I described in my post.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sounds cool!

have you heard of 914world.com?

check it out there's a really good tight community there that is a huge resource on everything 914.
Yup I'm on there too
Old 11-24-2012, 01:21 PM
On The Tree

This is a good reference regarding stroke, bores, etc.

http://www.nookandtranny.com/Info_LSx.html#LSxBlock
Old 12-08-2012, 12:11 AM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The ls1 pistons and 4.8 should have relatively the Same compression depth on the pin. The 5.3 uses the same crank and rod length as the ls1 and the 4.8 uses the same pistons as the 5.3 without the dish.

So logic would tell you that you can use the 4.8 crank and rods with the ls1 pistons and end up with the piston in the same position.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:33 PM
FormerVendor

One of the local tuners built a de-stroked 5.3 using an Eagle forged 3.622 crank, and did a custom offset grind. Went mid/low 10's NA.

We have the capability of making a custom crankshaft for your application if you are interested.
Old 02-27-2020, 06:47 PM
Teching In

nice! ive been looking for this kind of build since i changed the route of my build, at first it was drifting pourpuse but it took a radical change to a roadracer/weekend ride, so im aiming for more revs than torque, i have the old trusty 240sx build so its light, all fiberglass pannels, seats, half cage & tubefront.

Ive made the reasoning behind this so a LS1 Block will have same dimensions as the LR4 but the Bore right? so we can use The LR4 Crank & rods (these are longer than the LS1/5.3) so the pistons wil be safe inside the sleeves & as far as i know the wrist pin is just 0.0001" thicker in the ls1 piston so no real difference there, it'll be just a little hooning on the Rod for it to fit properly, also, the only thing that will change will be the intake valve diameter and if you get the LS1 heads you just need to change springs for the ones on the 4.8 heads and as far as my logic tells me you can also use the same camshaft as the 4.8... im planning on doing this just also looking for the right price of combo ls1 parts... aluminum 5.3 are rare on my side of the border...

what are your thoughts on this? any info photos & vids will be appreciated...
Old 02-28-2020, 09:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 430 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by Badbull
nice! ive been looking for this kind of build since i changed the route of my build, at first it was drifting pourpuse but it took a radical change to a roadracer/weekend ride, so im aiming for more revs than torque, i have the old trusty 240sx build so its light, all fiberglass pannels, seats, half cage & tubefront.

Ive made the reasoning behind this so a LS1 Block will have same dimensions as the LR4 but the Bore right? so we can use The LR4 Crank & rods (these are longer than the LS1/5.3) so the pistons wil be safe inside the sleeves & as far as i know the wrist pin is just 0.0001" thicker in the ls1 piston so no real difference there, it'll be just a little hooning on the Rod for it to fit properly, also, the only thing that will change will be the intake valve diameter and if you get the LS1 heads you just need to change springs for the ones on the 4.8 heads and as far as my logic tells me you can also use the same camshaft as the 4.8... im planning on doing this just also looking for the right price of combo ls1 parts... aluminum 5.3 are rare on my side of the border...

what are your thoughts on this? any info photos & vids will be appreciated...
You bumped an 8 year old thread.

The LS1 block shouldn't be bored.

Everything between the LS1 and LR4 is interchangeable. There are no specific parts other than pistons. Cam, springs, heads, cranks, rods, bearings, sensors, manifolds, oil pans, it all interchanges.
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (02-28-2020)

Quick Reply: destroking a ls1