Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Proper way to test compression?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 12:31 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proper way to test compression?

Hey guys, just wondering what the title says? I've heard of people testing their compression and I want to get mine tested but I didn't know how exactly it's done?
Old 01-24-2006, 01:50 AM
Teching In

On the Gen I hardware to which I can claim moderate experience I would take out all the spark plugs, disconnect the coil, screw the compression gauge into the spark plug hole on cylinder one, spin the motor a few times with the starter and write down the result. Repeat seven times.

I am not going to guess at the values you ought to be seeing on an LSx motor, I am sure plenty of regulars here can set you straight on that one.

If one or any or all of the Gen I cylinders seemed to have low compression, the second time around I would put maybe 3cc of motor oil through the spark plug hole into the combustion chamber and record the "wet" values in a column next to the original 'dry' values. If the wet numbers are higher suspect rings, if the wet numbers are the same expect valve seat or valve guide problems. I tend to record the date of the test and the mileage on the motor on the same page, Keep it inthe book with the rest of the motor stuff.

That's the quick and dirty anyway. A cam with a lot of overlap will show less compression than a cam with less overlap. If the dry numbers are good skip the wet test.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't forget to pull the fuel pump fuse.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Do not crank until you get the highest pressure on the guage. There is no exhaust scavenging @ 300 RPM to pull the excess charge out, and the reading will be incorrect.

Crank it 4 "puff's", stop cranking, and record that reading.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:15 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NO-OPTION-2002
Do not crank until you get the highest pressure on the guage. There is no exhaust scavenging @ 300 RPM to pull the excess charge out, and the reading will be incorrect.

Crank it 4 "puff's", stop cranking, and record that reading.
I don't understand your statement. Testing cranking compression is extremely easy. Like said above, remove all plugs, screw in the guage, open throttle to WOT, spin motor over until gauge stops increasing (no more than 3 or 4 times.)
Old 01-24-2006, 10:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

spin motor over until gauge stops increasing (no more than 3 or 4 times.)
3-4 times is correct, until it stops increasing is not.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:40 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NO-OPTION-2002
3-4 times is correct, until it stops increasing is not.
And why is that?
Old 01-24-2006, 10:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

EDIT

If you only are checking for a low/bad cylinder, anyway you want to check it is ok as long as you are consistant.

If checking cranking pressure for a performance tuning reference, then the 4 puffs rule applies.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:48 AM
TECH Addict

Actually, IMO, the first "puff", or hit is the most important for checking performance. But others may disagree
Old 01-24-2006, 01:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

And why is that?
A running (idling) engine will never see the pressure created during prolonged cranking.

The 4 puff's give a *fairly* good approximation of running engine compression pressure. That's not saying combustion pressure.

Running compression psi can be a good tuning tool, especially if you are on the edge of your octane capability.
Old 01-24-2006, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LOnSLO
Actually, IMO, the first "puff", or hit is the most important for checking performance. But others may disagree
Agreed, but on most engines I have tested the good ones reached full compression by the 4th or 5th puff anyway. It shouldn't really take more than that.

Also, you should check with the engine at operating temp.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bowtieman81
Also, you should check with the engine at operating temp.
Be aware that at operating temp, there is increased risk of damaging threads in the heads when removing spark plugs.
Old 03-04-2006, 11:55 AM
LS1 Tech Veteran

SWMN has the basic information you need. I want to add that the throttle should be blocked open (about WOT) during the testing. As a rule of thumb, no cylinder should be more than 10% lower than the average. The engine should be cranked until the pressure maximizes, but this wont take more than about 5 or 6 compression strokes. This type of test is good to determine if a valve isn't seating, or if the compression rings aren't sealing.

A much better type of test is a leak-down test. In this test, a special tester is screwed into the spark plug hole and with the piston at BDC with both valves closed, compressed air is introduced into the cylinder at a regulated pressure and flow rate. In the aviation industry, we use 80 PSI as the regulated pressure. The better the rings and valves are seating, the closer the cylinder assembly will hold the regulated 80 PSI. The pressure test reading is shown as a fraction like 75/80 meaning the cylinder will hold 75 PSI at the controlled flow rate (through a specific diameter orifice in the tester). Most of us, including me don't have access to this type of tester, but this is the more ideal way to do the testing.

I hope that this helps.

Steve

Quick Reply: Proper way to test compression?