Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Project Budget 10 Second Camaro Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 06:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bufmatmuslepants
great thread, I appreciate you going through details like the wiper arm removal and air bags. Im gonna be walking this road in the next couple weeks. Keep up the good work!
No problem, thats what I made this thread for, I try and take pics whenever I can. Although most of the time, Im busy wrenching and forget to take a picture until the end. Im going to be doing a SFC install soon, so hopefully do a write up for that as long as finish the opti writeup
Old 07-30-2009, 12:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looking good man and nice hood too
Old 07-30-2009, 07:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by robsquikz28
looking good man and nice hood too
Thanks, Im saving some money right now to get another opti. I really didnt want to spend much on the engine right now since Im still undecided what engine it will end up with. Im thinking LT1, but may go carbed.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

carbed lt1 with a distributor thatd be nice
Old 07-31-2009, 12:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by z28rob18
carbed lt1 with a distributor thatd be nice
My only thought is would I need to pull or I guess I should say drop the engine to get the distributor in? Ive been tossing the idea around of getting a victor intake made for a lt1 and i have a holley 750 in the garage somewhere. Im sure one of my buddies has a distributor. Just not sure what I need to change up front where the opti used to be. Note to self, do a search on carb swaps tomorrow.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:49 AM
Staging Lane

this car should be sick
Old 08-05-2009, 09:57 AM
12 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

If you dont mind I have a request for some pictures. Can you get some of how your coolant hoses are routed now from your waterpump without the heater core pipes? Also some of how your power steering lines run now? What tools did you use to cut out that panel to cover where the HVAC stuff went through, just some dikes or powertools? You mention early in the thread that driving with the power steering is "not as bad as you thought", how bad is it really? Im still confused on how people are using the stock rack without the pump, I know when the serp belt isnt on its damn near impossible to turn the wheel. Perhaps a junkyard rack from a Fiero would be a cheap way to get a manual rack. And what is that metal line that is on the passenger side of the intake manifold that goes to a rubber line, for some reason I thought it was something that could be deleted and I noticed you still have it. Keep up the good work, if the rain holds off Im going to get a baseline 1/8th mile time today with my car completely "fat" so I can see how much each of these weight reductions affects the time. Test and Tune in Masassas, VA is $15 tonight if anyone else is interested.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:55 PM
TECH Resident

Any pics of the hood pins with the hood open? Just wondering where you put them while using a Lid setup. Is the hood bolt on or pin on?

-Dustin-
Old 08-31-2009, 07:08 PM
Staging Lane

Hey, what happened to your 3-3 fernco you had on between the tb, and maf? I was planning on doing that myself, but saw newer pictures w/o it??? just wanted to see if there was a reason behind that. BTW, great thread! I'm learning quite a bit, I couldn't stop reading
Old 09-01-2009, 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you dont mind I have a request for some pictures. Can you get some of how your coolant hoses are routed now from your waterpump without the heater core pipes? Also some of how your power steering lines run now? What tools did you use to cut out that panel to cover where the HVAC stuff went through, just some dikes or powertools? You mention early in the thread that driving with the power steering is "not as bad as you thought", how bad is it really? Im still confused on how people are using the stock rack without the pump, I know when the serp belt isnt on its damn near impossible to turn the wheel. Perhaps a junkyard rack from a Fiero would be a cheap way to get a manual rack. And what is that metal line that is on the passenger side of the intake manifold that goes to a rubber line, for some reason I thought it was something that could be deleted and I noticed you still have it. Keep up the good work, if the rain holds off Im going to get a baseline 1/8th mile time today with my car completely "fat" so I can see how much each of these weight reductions affects the time. Test and Tune in Masassas, VA is $15 tonight if anyone else is interested.
Grabbed some pictures for you. My power steering lines are just looped, basically the line comes out from the gearbox about an inch, I cut the metal line and looped the rubber line onto it and put a clamp on it. The only time I noticed not having power steering was below 10 mph. Daily drove the car for about a month in Chicago traffic and actually forgot I didnt have PS after a couple weeks.

I have the water pump off right now since I am swapping out opti's, so took a picture of my water pump. You can see where I capped off the 2 outlets. You can buy the bypass caps at any parts store for a couple bucks and just put a clamp over it. Havent had any problems so far.

Last edited by Black94Z28; 09-12-2009 at 06:42 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hot93rod
Hey, what happened to your 3-3 fernco you had on between the tb, and maf? I was planning on doing that myself, but saw newer pictures w/o it??? just wanted to see if there was a reason behind that. BTW, great thread! I'm learning quite a bit, I couldn't stop reading
It seemed to tight when I hooked everything up, so I just put a stocker in for now. I will play around with it and see what I can do. In the process of getting the car running again (dead opti) so I may attempt this again when i put everything back together.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:57 AM
Staging Lane

2 questions... 1. does anyone know what that vaccuum canister is for underneath the front of the framerail on the passenger side (right beside underside of coolant reservoir)?
2. has anyone ran hoodpins in their stock hood to eliminate the hinges, latches, and plungers? May sound crazy, but it could be a fairly cheap way to eliminate ~6-7 lbs off the front end
Old 09-09-2009, 05:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

2 questions... 1. does anyone know what that vaccuum canister is for underneath the front of the framerail on the passenger side (right beside underside of coolant reservoir)?

You mean the plastic tube thing that laying underneath the header? I believe it was something for the windshield washer fluid, like a pump or something. Whatever it was though, its gone

2. has anyone ran hoodpins in their stock hood to eliminate the hinges, latches, and plungers? May sound crazy, but it could be a fairly cheap way to eliminate ~6-7 lbs off the front end
I ran the pins in the front, but decided to keep the latch for extra security just incase.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:06 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah.. that'd be the piece, I had a feeling that it may be connected to that somehow, but it doesn't make sense if the washer fluid pump is run off electricity (I thought), at least it's a place to start my searching. I'll ask someone at summit to see what they have to say about running hood pins only, or if that best used only as a secondary securing device. Oh, as for the evap canister, there's 3 hoses 1=engine/tb, 2=fuel tank, 3=?? where does that little line go, I accidentally pulled it out, and have no idea where it came from w/o pulling the tank down... Thanks again for the help!
Old 09-10-2009, 11:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah.. that'd be the piece, I had a feeling that it may be connected to that somehow, but it doesn't make sense if the washer fluid pump is run off electricity (I thought), at least it's a place to start my searching. I'll ask someone at summit to see what they have to say about running hood pins only, or if that best used only as a secondary securing device. Oh, as for the evap canister, there's 3 hoses 1=engine/tb, 2=fuel tank, 3=?? where does that little line go, I accidentally pulled it out, and have no idea where it came from w/o pulling the tank down... Thanks again for the help!
If you mean the three lines on the driver fender, then they are fuel/return lines and one goes to the evap
purge solenoid on the passenger side of the intake.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:34 PM
Staging Lane

I know which ones you mean, but i'm talking about the ones coming from the evap canister behind the d/s rear tire. I can't figure out what that 3rd one does...
Old 09-10-2009, 02:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

damn mike, you need to get this car done. call me up and we'll make some plans if you wanna get to workin on it, and you need to come over and help me with some weight reduction and body work! I'm working on getting a storage space so I can work on it in the winter.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Your thread was kinda the kick in the *** for me to start gutting my car, Im down to the heater core removal and everything inside the firewall, hopefully itll be out monday night. Just hoping the HOA doesnt give me **** for jacking up my car and draining my coolant...weak.

And "fat" my car ran 9.069. Skinny now it runs 8.55.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know which ones you mean, but i'm talking about the ones coming from the evap canister behind the d/s rear tire. I can't figure out what that 3rd one does...
Once you pull the canister out you will have one line that will not be attached to anything. Just pull it out and toss it. One line you put a inline filter in, and the other line, just trace it and pull it, it was the line that went to the front of the car.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Your thread was kinda the kick in the *** for me to start gutting my car, Im down to the heater core removal and everything inside the firewall, hopefully itll be out monday night. Just hoping the HOA doesnt give me **** for jacking up my car and draining my coolant...weak.

And "fat" my car ran 9.069. Skinny now it runs 8.55.
Glad I could be an inspiration for you. Im the one now that needs a kick in the ***, I have a B&M ProStick thats half installed, the opti is off the car waiting for a new one, tach needs hooked up, I have SFCs and a 8 Point cage sitting in boxes in the garage, and I need to update this page with more pictures.

Quick Reply: Project Budget 10 Second Camaro Thread