Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Project Budget 10 Second Camaro Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009 | 05:56 PM
Launching!

Just go to an auto zone or something and get a cheap vent cap for the evap hose. There like $5, Did it for mine works great.
Old 02-11-2009 | 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by OlMastaScrilla
Just go to an auto zone or something and get a cheap vent cap for the evap hose. There like $5, Did it for mine works great.
Did u vent cap one or all three? if you did just one, which one was it and what did you do with the other two lines?
Old 02-11-2009 | 06:20 PM
Launching!

I just stuck a vent cap on one of the lines. The other two just lead to nothing now that you have removed everything, just follow the lines and ditch them. One runs along the fuel lines to the front of the car. One runs to the top of the tank(the one you want to cap off and keep). And the last one just remove it, it runs to nothing if I remember right.
Old 02-11-2009 | 07:35 PM
Launching!

what did you get from auto zone to cap the tank line...
Old 02-11-2009 | 08:44 PM
Launching!

http://www.knfilters.com/vent.htm one of these.
Old 02-11-2009 | 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

I want to start keeping a list of the stuff I removed. I copied and pasted this from Beaflag VonRathburg's Thead here https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...8-project.html I appreciate him weighing all these parts, kinda takes the guessing out. What I didnt find on Beaflags list I took off of the Weight Reduction List in the Drag Racing Forum. I want to get to a race weight of 2800 not including me. Im 175 though.

Front Bumper Support = 25.375 lbs
Fog lights and brackets = 4.0625 lbs
Cruise control, cable, and throttle cable cover = 4.4375 lbs
Air pump and brass fittings = 5.9375 lbs
Rear Seatbelts = 4.1375 lbs
Windshield washer fluid reservoir with water = 8.0625 lbs
Heat shields beneath the car = 2.1875
Rear Seats = 22.4375 lbs
Front Speakers = 2.75 lbs
Driver's Air Bag = 3.625 lbs
Passenger's Air Bag = 9.46875
Heater Core (empty) = 1.03125
Airbag Crash Sensors = 1.53125 lbs
Mat that is Underneath the Dash Pad = 2.34375 lbs
Heater Core Hoses = 2.0125 lbs
Front Sway Bar = 15.09375 lbs
Plastic Shrouding = 4.968749 lbs
EVAP parts = 1.625 lbs
Sun visors = 2 lbs
Spare tire and jack = 37 lbs
Power steering pump, pulley, idler pulley = 12 lbs
Inner fenderwells, plastic = 3 lbs
Hood (Got the Glasstek one, have to find out weight on that) = 42 lbs

Although my car when I bought it had an aftermarket y-pipe and catback which i dont know how much that saved vs stock, but I plan on getting true duals so i'll have to weigh those once i pull them.

Also does anyone know the weight of the entire HVAC system and the accessory bracket that the power steering, alternator, ac bolt up to?

Last edited by Black94Z28; 02-11-2009 at 09:24 PM.
Old 02-12-2009 | 04:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Todays progress...

With the dash off, my main project today was to pull the black rubber trim/insulation that runs up and down the firewall and a couple inches under the carpet. I had to also pull the kick panels since this extends behind there too, no big deal since those are just held in place by 4 philip screws.

The rubber is a major PITA. I was hoping it would all just slide out, but I ended up having to get a box cutter and slice and dice it up. The worst part was around and under the steering wheel. Took the most time here, probably an hour, where the passenger side i had out in a few minutes. I just kept cutting smaller sections out and was left with one piece that went under the steering column which i had to grab ahold of with some channel locks and gently tug out.

The weight reduction thread says this is aprox 15 pounds, which I believe, there is also foam like insulation on the back too which was kind of a bitch when cutting the rubber.

Here are a picture of the scrap pile for today...

The bare firewall, minus all this wiring (kind of nervous to start cutting this out, but looks like you can save some weight by doing this) If anyone see's anything I can get rid of, let me know

Snapped a picture of the HVAC block off plate I made from some sheet metal from Menards.

Also the following couple pictures, Im not sure if I need these or not...any ideas what they are?

This metal thing is on both sides, not sure if it weighs anything or the purpose, but if i dont need it...its gone

Im guessing I need this? It was under the drivers side dash, had to pull it to get the rubber insulation off.

On the passenger side, a bunch of lose ends...
Old 02-12-2009 | 05:06 PM
TECH Veteran

anythign with a yellow plug is for ure airbag ****, i made a huge thread on whats what if you search my posts. The silver covers is just a cover, pull um and ditch um.
Old 02-12-2009 | 05:16 PM
TECH Addict

OP, how did you install the steering wheel? Any tips on that would be great! Id like to do mine this weekend. What did you do about your airbag light/sensor?
Old 02-12-2009 | 05:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by flyinZ
OP, how did you install the steering wheel? Any tips on that would be great! Id like to do mine this weekend. What did you do about your airbag light/sensor?
I just pulled the fuse for the air bags, pulled the old steering wheel off (need to rent the puller from AutoZone) and then installed the adapter pieces that come in the kit and put the wheel on. There is one big 22 mm nut that holds it down, and then there are 3 smaller bolts that go into the steering wheel. Pretty simple once you look at it. I didnt hook the horn up though. No light has come on at all for the airbags.
Old 02-12-2009 | 05:24 PM
Teching In

< subscribed interested to see how this goes
Old 02-12-2009 | 05:49 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks man! I like your project that you have going,btw. Good luck with the rest of the car.
Old 02-12-2009 | 10:33 PM
Staging Lane

Looks like youre doing a great job of putting that car on a diet

Im glad I get to bug ya the whole time youre trying to work too lol.
Old 02-13-2009 | 06:01 AM
12 Second Club

< New subscriber as well, Im wanting to do this same thing to my 97, Expect a bunch of questions from me.

Lol here is one already

What or how do you remove the passenger airbag, all airbag components on that side and the module/ wiring harness under the center console? I want to do it cleanly so I can resale the unit not just cut wires here and there.

Thanks
mang
Old 02-13-2009 | 08:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by seanaugustus
< New subscriber as well, Im wanting to do this same thing to my 97, Expect a bunch of questions from me.

Lol here is one already

What or how do you remove the passenger airbag, all airbag components on that side and the module/ wiring harness under the center console? I want to do it cleanly so I can resale the unit not just cut wires here and there.

Thanks
mang
The airbag wasnt that difficult to take out. I removed it when I was pulling my air conditioning/heater out. First thing is to disconnect the battery and I pulled the airbag fuse just in case. Trying to recall from memory, once you take the dash pad off (just held in from the factory with velcro strips, but be careful, the piece will shatter if you force it too much) there should be a couple bolts on the top that you remove, then take the glove box out and there may be 2 or 3 bolts at the bottom you want to remove, then the whole airbag/bracket should come out. Its actually pretty heavy. There's a wiring harness you will need to disconnect and then there was a little silver box for the airbag that I just unplugged and took out. If you run into something I forgot, PM me and i'll take a look, but its pretty straight forward once you get everything apart.

As far as the console, i havent gotten that far yet. May try to pull the carpet insulation today if I have time. Ill let you know once I get there or if someone that has done it can explain it.
Old 02-13-2009 | 01:41 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks, I have all the bolts out at the top and the four at the bottom, also unplugged everything already. But their is a pop rivet holding it down out the top that I need to drill out. Did I cover everthing on this?

Next project, I removed the a/c already but there's a large box behind the dash that I need to get out still. Actually the whole vent system. Do you have to remove the dash completely to get these boxes out?
Old 02-13-2009 | 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks, I have all the bolts out at the top and the four at the bottom, also unplugged everything already. But their is a pop rivet holding it down out the top that I need to drill out. Did I cover everthing on this?

Next project, I removed the a/c already but there's a large box behind the dash that I need to get out still. Actually the whole vent system. Do you have to remove the dash completely to get these boxes out?
You shouldnt need to drill the rivits out. Check and make sure you have everything unbolted.

I pulled the entire dash out when I gutted the heat and a/c. Took all the tubes out also. Its pretty simple to get the dash out. Just take your time and make sure you get all the nuts and bolts.
Old 02-13-2009 | 06:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Had another somewhat decent "Chicago Winter Day" and decided to work some more on taking some weight off this bad boy.

Finally finished up the A/C and heat delete panel. Not bad for under $5 and maybe 45 minutes total time to make. Ive been holding off on this for awhile since I lost my drill bit chuck and finally found it the other day which was perfect timing since I had the dash off. Had to mix and match nuts and bolts, but since it will all be covered, its ok. Might replace them down the road if it bothers me enough though.

Wanted to pull the insulation off the back of the carpet, heard thats good for another 15 pounds and is a free alternative to race carpet. Although a good shampooing is in the future for the carpet. Just had to put the rear armrest panels, kick panels, seats, and center console and it came right out. Pretty heavy though...lets see if i can change that!

Then I found this on the rear floorboards, probably from leaking t-tops. This was the worst side, but still needs attention. Probably take care of this when the roll cage gets installed.

A shot with the carpet out, found $.87 cents under the carpet!! Whooo...Big Gulp at the gas station!

The carpet laid out...

After 45 minutes of peeling insulation off, here is the end result. Got about 95% percent of the insulation off. Stuff really is on there good. Ended up taking a butter knife to help get under the insulation. Some peeled right off (more towards the back) where the front was on there pretty good. You can see the huge pile on the left of what I took off. Seems worth the trouble. Took two trips to the dumpster.

And installed back in...just have to reinstall the rest of the interior and I believe thats it other than when it comes time for the cage.
Old 02-13-2009 | 08:40 PM
12 Second Club

Hey whats the part # for the steering wheel adapter for our cars? want to swap wheels like urs but Grant says they dont make a kit for our car. BS

sean
Old 02-13-2009 | 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey whats the part # for the steering wheel adapter for our cars? want to swap wheels like urs but Grant says they dont make a kit for our car. BS

sean
The part number for the silver spoke wheel is 415 and the part number for the adapter kit is 3196. I bought them both at AutoZone and they had both in stock. The only thing you will have to do is put a couple washers between the adapter and the steering column base, otherwise the wheel will rub when you turn it. Found that out the hard way. Other than that, its straight foward.

Quick Reply: Project Budget 10 Second Camaro Thread