Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PUNISHER TA
Todays update.

Damn this aluminum ******* bondo is tough

Its not anywhere near done, I got like 10 sq.in. perfectly smooth,
the rest needs some work. I just decided to throw a coat of high build on the whole thing.

Oh and a note... This is my first experience with body work of any kind.
I strayed away from it on purpose. until now...

\
\
\

\
\
\
looks like u wasted your time priming that
Old 11-05-2009, 08:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea...i was gonna ask. whats the ppoint in priming it.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have zero paint experience, so i have no idea what im doing.

Some of it was ready for priming, and other parts had bare metal, i didnt feel like having start rusting.

But, like i said, i have no idea what im doing.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^thats half the battle right there. trust me u will **** up way more if u think u know what u r doing when u don't. just keep picking everyone's brain and your car will come out great.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:25 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PUNISHER TA
Thanks, im looking for a set of heads, and the rest of the valvetrain, right now,

Hoping to have my engine back in a few weeks, so i need to have the car ready, so i can drop it in and go...

Or something like that. lol

I swear my friend sold his LS7 heads a week ago for $1050 and with set of dual springs on them too
Old 11-06-2009, 01:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by venom ws7
I swear my friend sold his LS7 heads a week ago for $1050 and with set of dual springs on them too
Damn! Wish i had know about that! People are crazy! wanting like 2k a set for completely stock heads.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by brian_rs/ss
^thats half the battle right there. trust me u will **** up way more if u think u know what u r doing when u don't. just keep picking everyone's brain and your car will come out great.
Yea, im trying to learn as i go. I dont think im doing anything that will hurt me, just stuff thats not necessary. So i have to sand off the primer before i bondo.

but, i really dont have time to mess around with learning. I need the car on the road. So im doing what i can before i get the engine. If the engine bay isnt done when the motor gets here, thats too bad.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah but what happens if u dont land a set of heads?
Old 11-06-2009, 02:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by brian_rs/ss
yeah but what happens if u dont land a set of heads?
Im not sure what you mean.

I have to find a set of heads, if i have to get a set of PRCs off the shelf,
so be it, but the car needs to be on the road ASAP

I more expensive the heads(parts in general) the longer itll take to get it on the road.

tho, the longer it takes, the more time ill have to work on the bay... obviously.

I am ready to liquidate all of my possessions...

Last edited by PUNISHER TA; 11-06-2009 at 02:16 AM.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 351 Likes on 264 Posts

im sure it has been covered but is there a reason you arent going l92 heads?

and on the engine bay and the whole process (coming from someone who has done it cause my car was a v6 auto and now its a 414 and a 6 speed) take your tiime and DO NOT CUT CORNERS and the end result will be worth trust me on that. and just like brian said use this forum and pic peoples brains and you will learn a lot.

with said you engine bay will look sick when finished
Old 11-06-2009, 09:44 AM
TECH Addict

yep.....dont put the motor back in until you have the engine bay done 100% the way you want it. it is SOOO much easier to paint and work on it without the motor sittting in it, ask me how i know.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well, i understand what ya'll are saying. but i need my car on the road.

Im driving my sisters Saturn thats burning some oil. and i really need to get out of that thing.

If i cant get it done, and i put the motor in, ill finish it in a year or so when i pull the motor again.

Im gonna save up money for the next year or so, (and get big money from a lawsuit).

So when i have enough, im gonna tear the car apart again, and finish everything that i want to do.

built T56, full tubular suspension, F & R, coilovers, tub it, Fabbed 9", Custom wheels, bunch of interior.

To answer your question, blackbyrd... I wanted to run a factory intake, and the LS7 flows pretty well, so thats why.

When i tear the car down, in a year or so, ill probably switch to L92s with a sheetmetal intake if i wanna stay NA... but probably a 434 w/ Kenne Bell.

Id like to put my 454 in a Jeep

and shoot for 1500WHP with FI in my TA
Old 11-06-2009, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Brain picking requested.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/paint-bod...-painting.html
Old 11-06-2009, 10:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, the garage was really dirty, and unorganized, so i spent today and last night cleaning it up, i still need to organize the workbench, but im happy with this for now. I had to re-organize anyway, to go into winter mode, since i wont be taking my buggies anywhere. I also pulled the car out and washed off the dust and overspray... Found plenty of new scratches... and some spots pverspray is all over the paint ... Ill have to figure out how to get that off later.... Since its in such bad shape right now, i didnt bother with more than the hose, and a long haired brush.

\
\
\

\
\
\

\
\
\

Here is the current pile of STOCK parts that need to go back on. (Hopefully itll be alot smaller tomorrow.)

The engine bay, as it sits... i really hate bondo...

The cage... waiting on me to figure out how to paint. (I wanted a darker grey, but apparently if youre rattle canning it, you cant be picky...)

I picked up a second set of t-tops from the junkyard for a special project.

Found some Carbon Fiber Side View mirror covers at the yard on a camaro. Probably gonna clean them up. (i.e. wetsand, polish) and either gift them or sell em.

and then theres my lanky ***, wasnt feeling too photogenic. On here at her request.

Last edited by PUNISHER TA; 01-09-2010 at 02:00 AM.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:59 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey man you got some serious STONES ...thats balsy doing all the work that you have done to that car..i would of have bought a roller and started there and kept the TA fo a driver..when the roller was done i would have swapped everything over and been happy...nice work tho..wish i could afford to go to school, work on my formula, with a garage, and tools and have a spare ride...you one lucky ****
Old 11-07-2009, 08:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

A roller may have been a good idea. Honestly I never thought of that.

When i first started tearing it down, my plans werent this big,

and i was driving my 750iL w/ a V12.

but insurance went up on it, so now im stuck in my sisters saturn, im 6'6''... i dont fit

and thanks.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:24 AM
TECH Addict

well washing your car with nothing but water and a long hair brush did nothing but trash the paint even more man. it seems like you are making progress, and then having to take steps back bc you are maybe kinda half way doing things. i.e. scratches in the car, overspray, etc. i always hated doing a lot of work, and then making a big mess in the end that took longer to clean up, than it would have taken to do the work correctly. make sure you are taping EVERYTHING off when you paint. overspray will find its way to spots you never thought it was get to, all because you didnt tape down a little piece of plastic, or cover something up. just a little advice man. do it right once, and then you wont make a mess to clean up later.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kyles2000z
well washing your car with nothing but water and a long hair brush did nothing but trash the paint even more man. it seems like you are making progress, and then having to take steps back bc you are maybe kinda half way doing things. i.e. scratches in the car, overspray, etc. i always hated doing a lot of work, and then making a big mess in the end that took longer to clean up, than it would have taken to do the work correctly. make sure you are taping EVERYTHING off when you paint. overspray will find its way to spots you never thought it was get to, all because you didnt tape down a little piece of plastic, or cover something up. just a little advice man. do it right once, and then you wont make a mess to clean up later.

I guess, those are all good points. but, i guess thats a risk ya take when you teach yourself and do everything yourself. I dont think the pressure washer hurt it, just to blow off the dust.
Old 11-07-2009, 02:24 PM
TECH Addict

the pressure washer didnt, but a long haired brushed with nothing but water WILL. believe me, i detail cars, and this is the #1 way to put fine scratches and swirls in clearcoat. if you dont have some type of lubrication between your wash media and your paint (car wash), then it will 100% scratch your paint finish.
Old 11-07-2009, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not to sit here and bicker, i agree with you and i didnt really know that it was that big of a deal... but i do run soap through the pressure washer.

I was just under-exaggerating, making the point that the paint was messed up, and im a little upset, and that i will need to go through and do a full detail.

Quick Reply: My Interior and Engine Bay.......Build Thread