Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Steering Wheel and Leather Seat Wear

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 04:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Steering Wheel and Leather Seat Wear

So after racking up so many miles the lil things in my interior are starting to wear down...I already replaced my dash pad bcs it was cracked and now my drivers side seat is ripped in the bucket portion right down the middle and the side bolster is wearing out. I know hawks third gen has a leather kit for 450 but thats for both front seats and the rear seats too but I only need to drivers seat leather replaced so is there anywhere that just has that?

Second is the leather on my steering wheel is wearing out at the top

What can you do for this? or would I just have to get a new steering wheel?
Old 08-02-2009, 06:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

afterthoughts auto has a nice steering wheel cover, if you just want to cover it and not replace it. made by wheelskins. you can get any color/color combo, with different styles of leather. i have a black/red plain finish cover, which goes well with my black car and red accents. i get lots of compliments on it, and people think i have a new wheel instead of a cover. very tough, long lasting too. quality piece.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i don't know if you saw my seats in may when i was down there but if you didn't here is what i did. i bought new foam for the top of the drivers seat and then got the hawks third gen parts kit and removed the seats myself and dismantled them. i ended up taking the front seats to a shop to have the side bolster plastic accordian pieces sewn into the new upholstery (GM discontinued them and the new upholstery doesn't come with them)

Total cost was around $850. I spent $400 for the upholstery and $450 in labor for the front seats. i did the rear seats myself. I got them perforated (no cost option) so they would appear as close to stock as possible

http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/tr...ptonvinyl.aspx

Last edited by 1995blacktattop; 08-02-2009 at 08:31 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:16 PM
Launching!

isnt that kind of pricey for the labor of 450 has anyone else done this
Old 08-06-2009, 10:22 PM
Launching!

my driver seat has the very beginning of wear starting to show Is there any easy way to protect it without seat covers?
Old 08-06-2009, 11:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by redbeauty2012
isnt that kind of pricey for the labor of 450 has anyone else done this
I bought the kit and put them in myself. I have a Camaro though, so I didn't have to deal with the accordian piece. If you don't mind not having that piece, you can put them on yourself very easily. It only takes a couple hours and the kit is only $425. I have the Ebony with Torch Red inserts in my 93 Z28.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:25 PM
Launching!

has anyone taken off the accordians/sewn in themselves/ got it done professionally(cost)?
Old 08-07-2009, 12:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dhowdy
my driver seat has the very beginning of wear starting to show Is there any easy way to protect it without seat covers?
i lay a towel over the seat bottoms to keep the wear down,especially on the side bolsters from getting in and out. i have done this since i have owned the car(new) and seems to be doing a good job.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by redbeauty2012
has anyone taken off the accordians/sewn in themselves/ got it done professionally(cost)?
The seat covers come without them on, so you just take the old ones off and put the new ones on (without the accordians).

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel and Leather Seat Wear