Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Blacked out b-pillar, AND racing stripes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blacked out b-pillar, AND racing stripes?

I have my racing stripe planned out for my 96 WS6. But lately ive been really likeing the blacked out roof/b-pillar/halo look. Would it be too much to do both? Too heavy of a contrast to pull it off? My WS6 is white, and my stripe will be gunmetal or cyber gray. Do you think having a blacked out roof would be cluttered looking? Or contrast too much? Or do you think it would be nice, especially with my CETA?
Old 02-17-2010, 10:57 PM
TECH Regular

I am not a huge fan of stripes in general.. Too busy, sounds like the roof/b-pillar paint is what your really excited about. Without even seeing what it looks like it just sounds like it will be a much cleaner flow and look better.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if you could do it real quick in paint so we could see would help... but i dont think it will look bad with both... i think a trans am with a black b pillers looks good IMO
Old 02-17-2010, 11:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

i like the idea you've got for the stripes (color-wise), but what kind exactly?

personally, some T/A's with the blacked out roof/window area look great. while i've seen others that, just don't do it for me...

as far as looking clutered, i dont think it will necessarily. it will depend other things you have going with the car (rims being a big factor) as to how it will end up looking.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Screamin_99
I am not a huge fan of stripes in general.. Too busy, sounds like the roof/b-pillar paint is what your really excited about. Without even seeing what it looks like it just sounds like it will be a much cleaner flow and look better.
Ive been really excited about the stripe for a while, just havent done it.

Originally Posted by 02CamaroSSLE
if you could do it real quick in paint so we could see would help... but i dont think it will look bad with both... i think a trans am with a black b pillers looks good IMO
pic below lol

Originally Posted by crimson_bird
i like the idea you've got for the stripes (color-wise), but what kind exactly?

personally, some T/A's with the blacked out roof/window area look great. while i've seen others that, just don't do it for me...

as far as looking clutered, i dont think it will necessarily. it will depend other things you have going with the car (rims being a big factor) as to how it will end up looking.
The "stripe" will be basically measuring in about an inch from all sides of the raised portion of my hood. Not really as "stripey" as you would assume from the term "racing stripe" but i didn't know what else to call it. Also there will be a stripe on the back hatch matching it, the same width extending only to the hatch above the tail lights.

Rims. Right now the rims in the picture are on the car. BBS. They will stay on the car for now, but i will paint/refinish them the same color as the stripe wheni do it. Ill paint all 6 items at once, hood area, hatch stripe, and 4 rims. I am selling the rims off my BMW. When they sell, these BBS's will go onto my BMW, and i am going to order Y2K C5 DD in gunmetal. So they will still be paint matched in fact, im going to have lance send me the paint code so i can paint them exactly, even before i get my new rims. But also, i have an Rk Sportback on my car.

This is a ROUGH illustration lol. Pretty sad for a car design student LOL!!! If my instructors could see this....

I was ALSO thinking about painting the recessed areas of the fog lights to match the stripe. Any thoughts?
Old 02-18-2010, 02:18 AM
TECH Veteran

i really do like what you have planned. I like thedesign of the stripe you are going to do, it looks nice. and with the stripe the same color as the rims that will really look good and pull it all together. if its not already, the sportback hatch will look best painted all black, as well as the sail panel, and also some nice tinted windows all the way around so the top half flows good (maybe even consider windshield tint, although its not necessary). i think that'll look really good when you're all done.

thats an interesting idea you have for the fog light cubby hole. never seen that one before. i think it could look good the same color as the stripes and all, but i think it would look good in black. possibly black out the ambers as well?

as far as the design of the rear stripe. how is it going to end? personally i like the stripes that have a "terminated" end, the ones that have an actual end point, and do not just run all the way to the edge of the trunk and spoiler. i just dont really care for the stripes that just run off the edge. they look less planned for the specific application, and more like a universal stripe kit. just my opinion.

the first pictures are of "terminated" ends. - the second stripes run off till the trunk/spoiler stop. they have a less "finished" look IMO

Old 02-18-2010, 02:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

i really do like what you have planned. I like thedesign of the stripe you are going to do, it looks nice. and with the stripe the same color as the rims that will really look good and pull it all together. if its not already, the sportback hatch will look best painted all black, as well as the sail panel, and also some nice tinted windows all the way around so the top half flows good (maybe even consider windshield tint, although its not necessary). i think that'll look really good when you're all done.

thats an interesting idea you have for the fog light cubby hole. never seen that one before. i think it could look good the same color as the stripes and all, but i think it would look good in black. possibly black out the ambers as well?

as far as the design of the rear stripe. how is it going to end? personally i like the stripes that have a "terminated" end, the ones that have an actual end point, and do not just run all the way to the edge of the trunk and spoiler. i just dont really care for the stripes that just run off the edge. they look less planned for the specific application, and more like a universal stripe kit. just my opinion.

the first pictures are of "terminated" ends. - the second stripes run off till the trunk/spoiler stop. they have a less "finished" look IMO[CENTER]

Thanks for all the compliments! As far as the fogs, i could do gunmetal first, then black, then decide. Its small and quick to paint, im guessing. NO! The back stripe would not just run off the edge! It would stop about an inch from the edge and would have a rounded square edge, just like the front. I refer to them as Ducktail stripes, im also doing one of my BMW although rather than paint, it will be exposed carbon fiber. I go to the Academy of Art University of San Fransisco so maybe you can check it out in person lol! Heres another crude Paint LOL!!! I was also kind of playing with the idea of a black pinstripe around the edge of the stripes, and maybe one on the rims as well although i dont know if the rims have a spot for it. The Y2Ks i mean.

Last edited by evilZO6; 02-18-2010 at 02:55 AM.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:25 AM
TECH Veteran

haha, crazy. you got to the Acadamy of Art SF. my brother just started there this semester. studying architecture (i think). are you from the city?

the MS paint renditions may not look great, but they definitely help you visualize things before you do them. i've done that with almost everything i've chosen to do with my cars, ceta mod, lights, tint, stripes, and trying to figure out if i wanted to keep certain decals/emblems or get rid of them. it helps a lot.

the black pinstripe around the stripes would look good. it'll pull the black from the center tail panel, ceta mod, and top half off the car, into the stripes. i like the way you're thinking.

a lot of people ask how their car will look if they do this or that, and one of the things i always ask is, what else are you planning for the car? because really, you can't just look at one aspect of the car, it all has to work together to really look good. and with the way you're planning this out, everything should come together really good. and i like that you're going with the gun metal type color for the stripes. sets it apart from most white cars, which will typically have black stripes.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

haha, crazy. you got to the Acadamy of Art SF. my brother just started there this semester. studying architecture (i think). are you from the city?

the MS paint renditions may not look great, but they definitely help you visualize things before you do them. i've done that with almost everything i've chosen to do with my cars, ceta mod, lights, tint, stripes, and trying to figure out if i wanted to keep certain decals/emblems or get rid of them. it helps a lot.

the black pinstripe around the stripes would look good. it'll pull the black from the center tail panel, ceta mod, and top half off the car, into the stripes. i like the way you're thinking.

a lot of people ask how their car will look if they do this or that, and one of the things i always ask is, what else are you planning for the car? because really, you can't just look at one aspect of the car, it all has to work together to really look good. and with the way you're planning this out, everything should come together really good. and i like that you're going with the gun metal type color for the stripes. sets it apart from most white cars, which will typically have black stripes.
Thanks! Yea before i do anything, i like to sit down and plan out a whole scheme for my cars. As far as other mods, i am custom fabricating a Wings West LS1 W Type kit onto my LT1, and i hope to do a wide body.And my own custom hooded ducktail spoiler. And my own custom tail lights. And maybe headlights. But thats getting a little too ambitious for this thread lol! But if i get good enough, i'll also do bumpers! When i have the wider fenders, i am going to have lips added to the rims. I plan on buying a cheap ebay Camaro wide body, and sectioning it and grafting it on.

I love to do Paint renderings lol, but most of the time i do a really good drawing of my car or a bunch of loose sketches first.

Architecture students kinda start the same place as me, industrial design. This is my first semester too. We may even be in the same class lol! You never know. I think he has to take perspective, which i do as well.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:17 AM
12 Second Club

I think the stripe would look good but don't care for the black top, IMO they only belong on camaros
Old 02-18-2010, 11:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

what about painting the roof the same grey as the stripe.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dragcamaro
what about painting the roof the same grey as the stripe.
Yea i was thinking about that too.... but i dont know.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:39 AM
Teching In

You could always get some Duplicolor Car Art and paint it. Try some different schemes and it washes right off! Good stuff
Old 02-20-2010, 03:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Skullshift
You could always get some Duplicolor Car Art and paint it. Try some different schemes and it washes right off! Good stuff
What? Seriously? I never heard of this stuff before. More info?
Old 02-20-2010, 09:35 AM
12 Second Club

It's basically spray paint that washes off, I thought about using it to see if I would like grey spokes in my wheels but never have
Old 02-20-2010, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Where can you get it at?
Old 02-20-2010, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

i last saw it at AutoZone
Old 02-21-2010, 02:00 AM
TECH Regular

autozone...

Quick Reply: Blacked out b-pillar, AND racing stripes?