Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

My "REBUILD" Thread - '99 WS6 (Evil WS6)

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 08:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i don't care for the carbon fiber either. i think it will end up being way over done.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dual?
THAT is what you need to upgrade...
Old 04-29-2010, 09:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DCC!!
those look so good! how much did everything run you?
$190 plus shipping back and forth

Originally Posted by squee
Dual?
THAT is what you need to upgrade...
LOL. I bought the car with it, don't really care.. it works so i can't complain. If you have any suggestions feel free to give models.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98 WS6
$190 plus shipping back and forth

LOL. I bought the car with it, don't really care.. it works so i can't complain. If you have any suggestions feel free to give models.
What do you want? Double din, flip-out, single? As for a double din, the Avid D-3 is a good way to go but I plan on going with a carputer from Bybyte, flipouts I never cared for, and singles, I have the Fusion CA-IP500. I like it, especially for the price I paid, but you can't go wrong with something like an Alpine iDA-x305s, but thats assuming your like me and everythings on your iPod and you don't care for CDs

Tell me what you want (single, double, flipout, etc) and what your willing to spend and I can better advice ya.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:55 PM
11 Second Club

Well I like my flipout, so I have a big screen and the buttons arent all cramped together like some single head units. However, I have seen some very nice singles as well.

Double's are out, because I'm not gonna cut into my bezel.

I need something with an iPod hookup, or at least an AUX jack in the front. I ALWAYS listen to my iPod, almost never CD's. Something that has at least all the same outs as the Dual..

My sub is run off a dedicated amp. I have another amp for my sail panel and door speakers. The head unit powers the tweeters and hatch speakers. I'm not looking to spend a fortune.. maybe a couple or few hundred at best. So the best Flip-Out's and single's you know of would probably be the best bet.

Thanks squee
Old 04-29-2010, 11:56 PM
11 Second Club

Are there any flipout head units with GPS?
Old 04-30-2010, 12:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well I like my flipout, so I have a big screen and the buttons arent all cramped together like some single head units. However, I have seen some very nice singles as well.

Double's are out, because I'm not gonna cut into my bezel.

I need something with an iPod hookup, or at least an AUX jack in the front. I ALWAYS listen to my iPod, almost never CD's. Something that has at least all the same outs as the Dual..

My sub is run off a dedicated amp. I have another amp for my sail panel and door speakers. The head unit powers the tweeters and hatch speakers. I'm not looking to spend a fortune.. maybe a couple or few hundred at best. So the best Flip-Out's and single's you know of would probably be the best bet.

Thanks squee
Well, the Fusion CA-IP500 doesn't use CD's, and instead is the only one on the market that the iPod goes directly into. It has F/R and sub RCA outputs, as well as XM RCA inputs, and Aux RCA inputs. They also have another that has a CD player built in as well, but the iPod doesn't go in it, just uses a cable. I'm considering selling mine if your interested. I think I'ma go with the Bybyte carputer.

Alpine iDA-x303/305/305s are all good headunits as well. I'd get the 305s, but that would depend on what you can get it for and if it fits in your budget.

As for Pioneer, the DEH-P7200HD is nice. You'll need the iPod cable to go with it (not included). The MVH-P8200BT is a nice way to go as well.

As for flip-outs, not many options in that price range.

Also, why I would just ditch the hatch speakers. Not really needed to be honest. Why are the tweeters ran off the headunit instead of going into a crossover with the door speakers and ran off the amp?

Edit: Keep in mind, none of the headunits I recommended have a built in CD player.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

if im not mistaken kenwood carries some nice flipout units in a few price ranges, and kenwood uses garmin for nav, which is definitely the best.

I say go alpine/pioneer/eclipse/kenwood (for decks)

+1 on hatch speakers. I have components in my doors (most flushmount tweeters fit perfectly in the ta panels), and a sub in the hatch.

Im rockin an old pioneer premier right now, but i dont want a flipout/dd.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Lots of nice pics by the way....
as for the deck I always love kenwood stuff... and yah garmin is good, Ive never had a flip out or gps deck. I dont use Ipods myself (I cant see how you get 100% sound quality,, I prefer usb flash drives in my deck. But ipods do have other advantages for sure.
Not a fan of the cf either,,, just hopefully you wont want to change it back a few yrs from now.
Do you have a site or anything where I can look at just the progress without the 30pages of other stuff...I cant imagine how big it will be later on haha
Old 04-30-2010, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Brian, I just bought a Pioneer DEH-P7000BT today, so if you want, my Fusion is up for sale.
Old 05-01-2010, 12:18 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by jcurrieta
Lots of nice pics by the way....
as for the deck I always love kenwood stuff... and yah garmin is good, Ive never had a flip out or gps deck. I dont use Ipods myself (I cant see how you get 100% sound quality,, I prefer usb flash drives in my deck. But ipods do have other advantages for sure.
Not a fan of the cf either,,, just hopefully you wont want to change it back a few yrs from now.
Do you have a site or anything where I can look at just the progress without the 30pages of other stuff...I cant imagine how big it will be later on haha
Lol no I don't have a site.. just here. If you're interested in mainly the progress alone, just look for posts where I have pics.

Brian, I just bought a Pioneer DEH-P7000BT today, so if you want, my Fusion is up for sale.
I think I'm gonna stick with the crappy dual for a bit until I get some more money. Thanks though man.
Old 05-01-2010, 12:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

how much you selling it for?

and brian any progress yet?
Old 05-01-2010, 12:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

PM sent.
Old 05-01-2010, 01:09 AM
Launching!

LOL. Got that room ready?

Thanks man, I appreciate it. Most people think just cause I'm 17, I don't know ****.

Thanks.

Thanks, good luck to you too. All I can say is.. TAKE IT OUT THE BOTTOM. Dont even THINK about doing it the other way.
certainly the best way to go from the BOTTOM I would love to learn how to do this one day LoL!
Old 05-01-2010, 03:09 AM
11 Second Club

Hey bro,

Yeah.. got my old heads back, they look mint. They'll be up for sale tomorrow. We bolted up ALL the accessories to the block, (starter, ac condenser, alternator, water pump, etc.) and we connected the block to the tranny. I *THINK* my heads should be here by next week.

Then we should literally have the car done in one weekend. I gotta call Texas Speed and check on the status of the heads.

Hopefully I can find someone to buy my 5.3 heads.. that would be a huge help.
Old 05-01-2010, 03:17 PM
11 Second Club

IGNORE THE HEADS.. They're my old ones that I just got back

Old 05-01-2010, 03:20 PM
12 Second Club

now would be a good time to do some poly motor mounts. if you dont already have them of course. lol.
Old 05-01-2010, 03:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Or even some solid motor mounts. Im about to take my poly's out and put some solids in. Love the feel or the solids when driving.
Old 05-01-2010, 04:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by headed-ws6
Or even some solid motor mounts. Im about to take my poly's out and put some solids in. Love the feel or the solids when driving.
I always thought they would practically shake your teeth out of your head?
Old 05-01-2010, 06:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My buddy has them and there is alittle more vibration at idle but not enough to not want them. After you start driving aroung the vibration is completely gone. if you have a cam a good tune will get rid of alot of the vibration aswell.

Quick Reply: My "REBUILD" Thread - '99 WS6 (Evil WS6)