Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

My "REBUILD" Thread - '99 WS6 (Evil WS6)

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You know ... I'm not trying to be adversarial here. I thought LS1TECH was for providing forums for LS1 brothers to share experiences and ideas to help other brothers avoid the pitfalls of "doin' up the little girl for the dance" so to speak.

I paid the OP due respect by reading all 34 pages before I posted.

I'm just saying that I do the research before engaging in any project and I've made some mistakes and I know what people should expect to pay for certain work.

Now about camming. I have a question. My specs are in the medium range (and truth be known it's Saturday and I'm relaxing and I don't want to go looking for the spec sheet). Certainly not too wild, but if you go with high lift and duration cams how do you pass e-tests which was my concern?
Old 11-20-2010, 06:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You're right. That was harsh. I should be nicer to a fellow Ontarian. Sorry for the bitterness.

With that out of the way though, I really think that the dyno is reading incorrectly, or you have a serious issue with your car. I don't need overinflated numbers. My previous setup gave some seriously low numbers considering what most people were achieving with that same setup, but I still enjoyed the car despite this.

Originally Posted by PHOEN1X
Well, not the welcome wagon I expected but I can deal with it. I believe somewhere on this thread someone stated that the true test is at the strip. Next Spring I will post numbers. The last Shelby Mustang with their "alleged" 500 HP and Z series Vette that I left at least 10 car lengths behind in the quarter can boast all they want about their HP rating.

And yes they are real professionals having worked in Europe for many years and all sorts of exotica including Porsche, Ferraris and Lambos. Hence they don't feel the need to over-inflate dyno specs to coddle their customers sagging egos. If you want REAL dyno numbers then you need to go to an honest dyno tuner that is not afraid to provide real numbers. For confirmation go to Magnaflow's site. They do before and after dyno tests on a variety of cars and the alleged stock 315 T/A HP rating is more like 240. Judging by your vitriolic response to my post I would say that you need over-inflated numbers to appease your ego. I don't. And if I had listed ALL the details of the modifications would you have complained that my post was even more wordy than your original complaint.

And although John at JSR took his sweet time on the rebuild he has been successfully racing NASCAR for years so I think he knows what he is doing.

And the reason why I jumped on this thread is because, as I wrote, I understand the ordeal that the OP went through and shared my own experiences rather than start a new thread on virtually the same subject. Besides, this was the only current similar thread to what I wanted to share.

If you don't like it ... just don't read it! The fact that you took the time to write a response to a post that is obviously anathema to you surprises me. Like ... why waste your time?
Old 11-20-2010, 06:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In Ontario, about the most aggressive cam that you can run and still get by an e-test is a 224/224. Of course it must be tuned quite diligently. Anything more than that, you will have some trouble every two years.

How do you pass with a large cam? You have to know people.

Originally Posted by PHOEN1X
You know ... I'm not trying to be adversarial here. I thought LS1TECH was for providing forums for LS1 brothers to share experiences and ideas to help other brothers avoid the pitfalls of "doin' up the little girl for the dance" so to speak.

I paid the OP due respect by reading all 34 pages before I posted.

I'm just saying that I do the research before engaging in any project and I've made some mistakes and I know what people should expect to pay for certain work.

Now about camming. I have a question. My specs are in the medium range (and truth be known it's Saturday and I'm relaxing and I don't want to go looking for the spec sheet). Certainly not too wild, but if you go with high lift and duration cams how do you pass e-tests which was my concern?

Quick Reply: My "REBUILD" Thread - '99 WS6 (Evil WS6)