Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Removing "honeycomb" from trans am tail lights?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 03:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
those clear honeycombs look sick!
co/signs
Old 06-30-2012, 04:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Could someone photoshop the clear lenses onto a white T/A?
Old 07-09-2012, 05:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I think the clear lenses would look great on a white WS.6 lightly smoked with the blinkers and side markers lightly smoked too. But where you can still see that they are clear though.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:50 AM
TECH Regular

I have a junk 98+ tail light in my garage (reflector inside the housing itself is damaged and it of course lights up dark).. I may just have to play with the oven this evening. Clears would look AMAZING
Old 07-22-2012, 12:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I may have too much time in my hands. Also the p/o put the tips on the wrong sides.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Holy **** Batman,

Can you make that picture any frickin' larger???
Old 07-22-2012, 11:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Lol, It was from my phone & I don't know how to adjust the settings.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:07 PM
TECH Regular

FYI, I did play around with my lenses but forgot to post back up. The lenses themselves are died with the red and honeycomb pattern. without bleaching out the die or re-forming our own new lens, you can forget about clears from the stock housings. What I want to know is why no one ever made such a thing as popular as they were when these cars came out! Euro's were all the rage for the longest time haha
Old 08-02-2012, 02:01 AM
TECH Addict

When you rip a Mustang owner a new one on the highway, don't you want to send the message that he's been stung like bee? The honeycomb taillights are just another way to get into their heads. You wanna give that up?
Old 03-31-2015, 09:01 PM
Teching In

Default honeycomb

Originally Posted by bigairboarder44
Nope it's one piece. If it were possible, I'm sure more than a few people would have already done it.
This can be done with 98-2002 seen an article looking for it long short it said put honeycomb in oven and the adhesive melts and you can remove red part then you get some more adhesive reseal and you got clears
Old 03-31-2015, 10:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by firechicken77536
This can be done with 98-2002 seen an article looking for it long short it said put honeycomb in oven and the adhesive melts and you can remove red part then you get some more adhesive reseal and you got clears
3 years late and WRONG, or simply misunderstood, the oven thing is for removing the lense from the tail light assembly, the honey comb and red ARE ONE PIECE, it was on the LT1 "grid" lights that could have the red removed, not the honeycombs, if it was that simple there would be no reason 6LE went thru SO SO SO much trouble trying to MAKE CLEAR LENSES and find a way to get the honeycomb on them.

Here, check it https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...oneycombs.html

also don't bump 3 year dead threads to add misunderstood info. the info you supplied is a short version of how to remove the lense and reattach it, NONE of that magically makes the red disappear.

also here is a shot that will make it clear the red can't be removed from the black honeycomb.
Attached Thumbnails Removing "honeycomb" from trans am tail lights?-img_7511.jpg  

Last edited by Daniel Richards; 03-31-2015 at 11:03 PM.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:56 AM
Staging Lane

When I had my Formula, I swapped the rear lenses out for the 93-97 base Firebird's to give it the clean, sleeper look. I thought it looked really good.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 11-21-2018, 10:29 AM
On The Tree

anyone know where i can get some of these to this day?
Old 11-21-2018, 09:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mr. firehawk
anyone know where i can get some of these to this day?
Are you asking about custom tail lights for our F-bodies? The only company that provided us with a product for a short time was 6LE Designs, but the company is now out of business.

http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/...mpwZw==/?ref=1

http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/...TQuanBn/?ref=1

I was very fond of the last picture from 6LE Designs, the "Heritage" design. The only problem, this mod is clearly not DOT specification, and I want to have those reflective diffusers molded into the plastic overlay of this housing. I did a search online and perhaps using transparent red tail light repair kit would have addressed this issue although it does ruin the feeling of having new tail lights but rigging them with tape to look DOT compliant.

The other better option is this...
Home made "retro" tail light write up Reply Subscribe

It sure beats the hell out of this look on my Trans Am. These tail lights were saved off of my first car, so at least I do still have them to perform this mod. I will admit, I do like how they looked at night time compared to my Trans Am lights, AND, without the removable reflector they actually lit up with more surface area like the honeycomb tail lights.

I do like the honeycomb tail lights. My grid tail lights are worn out and I am fighting a losing battle to keep moisture out. Plus, if memory serves me, my base firebird tail lights are awfully dim during the daytime, perhaps the back reflector is flaking the material. I may have to pick up some decent used honeycombs at some point. Clearly the fourth-gen community is in need of aftermarket tail lights, whoever is able to fabricate them and make a profit on them, Mark.

Last edited by Phoenix'97; 11-21-2018 at 09:40 PM.
Old 11-24-2018, 09:57 PM
TECH Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

There ones from 6le were way too expensive and you didn't get much for what you were paying for. (Just the lenses) not sure why there weren't any Chinese companies making cool custom tailights for our cars like the rest of the junk that was out.
Old 11-24-2018, 11:03 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by warriorpluto
There ones from 6le were way too expensive and you didn't get much for what you were paying for. (Just the lenses) not sure why there weren't any Chinese companies making cool custom tailights for our cars like the rest of the junk that was out.
Well, I still would have bought them if I was more certain that they would survive year-round without leakage problems. Plus, they were not DOT spec tail lights with the built-in reflector/diffusers that you see on the firebird base, grid, and honeycombs. However, newer cars I notice don't have them. If you really wanted that "look", the tail light repair kit might have been a good solution to apply on the inside of those lenses. However, what you and I are looking for are actual replacements, the housing and lenses and all!

It is still irritating that the Camaro has aftermarket tail light support while the Firebird is nonexistent. I understand, trying to get plastic molds for these tail lights would be expensive and then the need to mass produce them at a profit to justify what you spent to even produce one! I am not sure if you can get away with a crude version using fiberglass but then the problems with getting the reflectors made. Whoever makes the aftermarket Camaro tail lights, for God sakes, can you start making the Firebird versions?!

The best we can do is try to carefully pry apart existing housings without breaking the damn things, spray paint in chrome mirror finish the reflectors, and paint the grids/honeycombs back on the exterior lens or perform the "heritage" mod on the base 6-cylinder firebird tail lights, which I am very tempted to do since I have grown tired of my grid tail lights and the honeycombs are also too dull and lack the statement I am looking for. However, I want more red light to show on the "heritage" mod so I would have to see what I could do, maybe make the lines thinner and leave some room for the outline of the tail lense where it still shines, something like this.

Note, this amazing as hell custom job on this Trans Am uses an LED system that is not easily serviceable if a few stop working correctly and the wiring/soldering work by this guy takes 3 months. I would be happy with LED socket bulbs and the painted heritage look on the base firebird tail light lenses.

Last edited by Phoenix'97; 11-24-2018 at 11:13 PM.
Old 11-25-2018, 10:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 358 Likes on 270 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I personally want some reversed grid honeycomb tail lights. The octogon shape would be black and the grid be red to serve as the tail lamp. Subtle yet different
Old 11-25-2018, 11:32 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 144 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Phoenix'97
Plus, they were not DOT spec tail lights with the built-in reflector/diffusers that you see on the firebird base, grid, and honeycombs. However, newer cars I notice don't have them. If you really wanted that "look", the tail light repair kit might have been a good solution to apply on the inside of those lenses.
Cars with clear lenses like that will still have those reflectors somewhere. Either as a strip/section in the taillight or a separate reflector(s) on the bumper.
Old 11-25-2018, 05:14 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by VIP1
Cars with clear lenses like that will still have those reflectors somewhere. Either as a strip/section in the taillight or a separate reflector(s) on the bumper.
You may be right. I did have a chance to look over another such car with clear lenses and there was something off to the side of it. I suppose they do require some reflector which goes back to my concerns about the lenses that 6LE Designs were offering when they were in business; such reflectors were noticeably missing from the pictures I saw of the clear and heritage lenses offered. I would hate to get pulled over by a very astute police officer who can tell my tail lights were illegally modified and no longer DOT certified. Plus, in the event you had a blown fuse with your tail lights, which happened to me once with my first Firebird and I was pulled over for it, you need reflectors in absence of lights in the dark of night. A simple solution to this problem is a tail light repair kit with patches that include those reflectors.

Quick Reply: Removing "honeycomb" from trans am tail lights?