Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Ask a Professional Detailer

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 03:11 AM
11 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Hey Jeff, I just recently got this kit for Christmas:
http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-por...ble-combo.html

Is it a good kit to get some basic swirls out? anything else that might be needed? And that big soft white pad that comes with it, thats for applying the wax/sealant right? Thanks bud!
Old 01-26-2013, 07:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tnmotown
Hey Jeff, I just recently got this kit for Christmas:
http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-por...ble-combo.html

Is it a good kit to get some basic swirls out? anything else that might be needed? And that big soft white pad that comes with it, thats for applying the wax/sealant right? Thanks bud!
Well the machine is good, the products are ok. The pads are good but are a bit large for the PC. 5.5" pads are better, you get more rotation and they conform better to the panels.

As for the big white one that comes in the PC box, break that one out the next time you want to polish your bath tub, because that's about all its good for. I'd never use that one on the paint.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 896 Likes on 638 Posts

Paint correction on my bathtub....If my wife came home and found me doing that I think she might leave. HA!
Old 01-26-2013, 11:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Paint correction on my bathtub....If my wife came home and found me doing that I think she might leave. HA!
I actually polished out the hard water spots on the tub and shower at my parent's house back when I lived there. Mom thought I was nuts, Dad just kinda laughed..... both were floored when I was done and it was perfect in 10 min.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

You need help man.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Jeff while you on here I want to ask a quick question. What's the difference between the M101 and M100?
Old 01-26-2013, 11:58 PM
TECH Junkie

You need help man.
Quite possibly! But this thread was born out of that craziness.

Jeff while you on here I want to ask a quick question. What's the difference between the M101 and M100?
A promise keeps me from going into detail, but they both cut like crazy and both are VERY worthwhile compounds to have and must be RESPECTED or they will hurt you when you let your attention waiver for a split second. M100 has a better working time but its more slippery on the pad.... Don't apply it at an angle because it might run off the pad, but its still a thick liquid.

I haven't used it with a DA yet but have heard positive results about it. I will say that for rotary use, M100 decimates defects faster than anything I've ever used, even M101...yet its not a replacement for M101....hard to explain. But I would never give one up for the other, I want them both.............
English or Metric sockets....you'll find a fit with either one, they are just a little different but both are great tools to have in your arsenal.

In a head-to-head battle rotary/wool M101 vs M100 I would go with M100. It almost cuts too fast. Yet somehow it still finishes down well.

You might be more confused now after all that lol.... give it a try and post your thoughts. Perhaps another can word it better than I.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Jeff while you on here......
Sightings are rare these days lol. Gotta catch me when I pop my head up from time to time.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Who can reiterate the best way to clean MF towels and to clean pads? I know its been covered and I remember reading it when I went through the whole thread back in August but for some reason I didnt take note of it and I dont remember much.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mac62989
Who can reiterate the best way to clean MF towels and to clean pads? I know its been covered and I remember reading it when I went through the whole thread back in August but for some reason I didnt take note of it and I dont remember much.
Cool/cold and gentle setting on washing machine with a little bit of microfiber rejuvinator.
Air dry if possible, or LOWEST HEAT SETTING POSSIBLE on dryer. High heat and/or dryer sheets will **** them up.

That is what I do...taken from Junkman's instructions.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Guitar
Cool/cold and gentle setting on washing machine with a little bit of microfiber rejuvinator.
Air dry if possible, or LOWEST HEAT SETTING POSSIBLE on dryer. High heat and/or dryer sheets will **** them up.

That is what I do...taken from Junkman's instructions.
Alright, air dry is no problem. What if you dont have the MF rejuvinator? I assume laundry detergant is no good, maybe a little bit of dawn?
Old 01-27-2013, 06:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

To clean the MF pads this is what works best for me.

1. When you get done using the pad, blow it out with compressed air with the pad on the machine but with he machine turned off, move the the middle out towards the edge and back. This blows most of the compound out and stands the fibers up. I normally have my compressor set around 80psi for this.

2. Spray Dawn Power Dissolver on the pad and let it sit, work some of the PD into the pad with your fingers.

3. Washing machine on normal with cold or warm water. Hot's no good.

4. Dry on low setting. Again hot is no good. I made that mistake and the heat kills the foam on the pad.

I made the mistake of not blowing out the pad after I was done with it. I forgot to wash them and they dried with the fibers matted down. I washed and dried them and thought they were good till the next time I went to use them. I couldn't believe how much compound will still in the pad even though it looked clean. It took SEVERAL washes to get them clean.

I use Tide Free or Cheer Free to wash them. Both had no dyes or perfumes. I'm not saying its right or the best, but for me it has worked well with no loss in pad performance.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mac62989
Alright, air dry is no problem. What if you dont have the MF rejuvinator? I assume laundry detergant is no good, maybe a little bit of dawn?
I cannot comment on microfiber pads as I do not have any.

For towels:

A liquid laundry detergent, no granulated, can be substituted. Make sure it is a dye/perfume free product.

Also, do a second rinse for the towels if you have a machine that is equipped with it.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a question about a rough-feeling paint finish.
After the car was painted and cleared, the paint was perfectly smooth-no roughness.
After some time, and a coat of wax, the paint became rough.
By accident, I used some Mother's wax/cleaner on it (brand new container), rather than straight wax/protector. Could this have caused the paint to feel rough? Before using the wax, the car was cleaned perfectly, using chamois cloth & the best cleaner.
Also, it seems that those areas that are roughest, are the same areas that are exposed most to wind/dirt abrasion.
This is, by no means, a deluxe paint/clear job.
One wouldn't be able to detect the rough, by looking at it. The paint looks great.
Do you have some suggestions?
Thanks!
Old 01-30-2013, 11:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by gMAG
I have a question about a rough-feeling paint finish.
After the car was painted and cleared, the paint was perfectly smooth-no roughness.
After some time, and a coat of wax, the paint became rough.
By accident, I used some Mother's wax/cleaner on it (brand new container), rather than straight wax/protector. Could this have caused the paint to feel rough? Before using the wax, the car was cleaned perfectly, using chamois cloth & the best cleaner.
Also, it seems that those areas that are roughest, are the same areas that are exposed most to wind/dirt abrasion.
This is, by no means, a deluxe paint/clear job.
One wouldn't be able to detect the rough, by looking at it. The paint looks great.
Do you have some suggestions?
Thanks!
Has the car been clayed recently?
Old 01-31-2013, 01:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Has the car been clayed recently?
No, Jay...I wasn't sure what the recommendation should be, and not knowing much about all of this, I let it be.
Right now, there is an additional coat of regular Mother's wax on the car.
Would clay remove the clear?
Old 01-31-2013, 08:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

No, Jay...I wasn't sure what the recommendation should be, and not knowing much about all of this, I let it be.
Right now, there is an additional coat of regular Mother's wax on the car.
Would clay remove the clear?
The clay won't remove the clear. Clay is designed to remove above surface bonded contaminants. This is just a fancy way of saying it removes dirt thats stuck in the clear coat. When using you clay you use some sort of detail spray as a lubricant. The clay slides over the clear coat and grabs the dirt/contaminants that is stuck in the clear coat.

Depending on how much you drive the car you should clay your car twice a year.

Claying your car gets all the junk out of your clear coat which helps your wax bond to the clear coat longer which helps your wax to stay on the car later.

When you start to clay your car you will feel and hear the dirt bonded to the clear coat. After a few passes it will start to smooth you and then the clay wiill glide over it.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:25 AM
TECH Junkie

When you start to clay your car you will feel and hear the dirt bonded to the clear coat. After a few passes it will start to smooth you and then the clay wiill glide over it.
I'll give this a try in the spring.
Thanks, Jay!
Old 01-31-2013, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My suggestion would be to clay also. On a daily driver I've heard suggestions of claying as often as you change your oil. I usually do it at least 2 times a year on the truck, in the spring and fall. The SS rarely sees rain or anything so it usually only gets clayed in the spring.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'll give this a try in the spring.
Thanks, Jay!
If you aren't familiar with how to clay your car here's a link to one of Mike Phillips videos from Autogeek.

http://www.autogeek.net/video-clay.html

Junkman also has a lot of great video's on Youtube if you are interested in learning how to do more than claying.

This thread is also a great resource too.

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer