Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Ask a Professional Detailer

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 06:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been working on my car with my new da polisher. I've been using m105 and m205. My question is do I need to follow up with a wax after the 205 or is it good to go? What brand wax would you guys recommend
Old 07-21-2013, 06:50 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by MeMz
Been working on my car with my new da polisher. I've been using m105 and m205. My question is do I need to follow up with a wax after the 205 or is it good to go? What brand wax would you guys recommend
Yes you should follow up with some protection, a sealant is a better choice than wax, but you need to seal it up after. 205 is a finishing polish and is going to bring the depth out of your paint after using the 105. You want to protect it afterward when it looks it's best!

I've heard good things about many different sealants all of which have been mentioned in this thread, I've been using Jet Seal 109. It's very easy to apply and even easier to remove once hazed, but there are better options out there. Longevity is key with any sealant/wax.

You can follow up any sealant with a decent wax once it's cured for a better look/depth and a little added protection.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:05 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the advice! Do I apply it by hand or can I use the da polisher? Do I need to wash the car before applying it?

Also I was wondering if there is any tips or tricks I should know about before correcting the bumpers and side panels on my car. The pads I'm using don't seem too aggressive but I still worry of damaging the paint, just using m105 and 205. So far it's working out great!
Old 07-22-2013, 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the advice! Do I apply it by hand or can I use the da polisher? Do I need to wash the car before applying it?

Also I was wondering if there is any tips or tricks I should know about before correcting the bumpers and side panels on my car. The pads I'm using don't seem too aggressive but I still worry of damaging the paint, just using m105 and 205. So far it's working out great!
You can apply via either DA or hand if you prefer. With Jetseal 109, the nice thing is that you can layer a 2nd coat after 20 minutes. I prefer to use a flat black LC pad on LOW speeds (2-2.5 on the PC). My preferred sealant is Blackfire Wet Diamond.

Washing the car prior to sealing is a good idea. Ensuring that all polishing oils have been stripped will help whatever sealant/wax you use to bond with the freshly corrected surface.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

As previously stated you ahould follow up with some sort of wax or sealant to protect your hard work. Sealants last longer than a traditional wax. If the car is your daily then I would recommend a selant. If it's a show car you can get away with a carnauba wax. I have used meguiar's ultimate liquid wax with a DA and black pad and it works good for over the counter. I have since started using klasse sealant which I apply by hand but it can be applied with a DA. Check out autogeek. There is a lot of different types of waxes and sealants available.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:26 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the responses guys.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 904 Likes on 645 Posts

The main thing to keep in mind when doing bumpers or any panel that's urethane is it can't take the heat like a metal panel can. The metal dissipates the heat faster so you can work an area longer compared to a urethane panel. This probably isn't an issue when using foam on a PCXP with M105. However with something like the Rupes 21, FG 400 and MF pad I'm pretty sure primer will be seen if not careful.

On a urethane bumper the paint becomes soft because of the heat build up and the paint actually tears.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

I used a few new products this week on my current job.

New formula Iron X= fantastic, it clings to the car better and I didn't use as much as I have in the past. It still stinks but that's OK. I was super impressed with the new formula.

New formula of Adam's Detail Spray= fail. I don't know why they decided to change this stuff but I will be looking for another detail spray. 1. It's useless as a clay bar lubricant now. The whole reason I like the original version was because I couldn't find anything better for claying with. Well that's gone now. 2. It doesn't smell nearly as good. This isn't a deal breaker but only adds too number 1. From using it two nights now it does seem to wipe off easier but I fear that's at the expense of lubrication. I was looking through my shelves and found a Clay Magic bottle. Grabbed it, BOOM, just as good as Adam's V1 detail spray minus the smell good.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:50 AM
TECH Regular

For reference that Clay Magic bottle you grabbed is called Auto Magic Body Shine (same company as I'm sure you know). Ya it doesnt have much of a smell but atleast it doesn't smell bad
Old 07-23-2013, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
New formula of Adam's Detail Spray= fail. I don't know why they decided to change this stuff but I will be looking for another detail spray. 1. It's useless as a clay bar lubricant now. The whole reason I like the original version was because I couldn't find anything better for claying with. Well that's gone now. 2. It doesn't smell nearly as good. This isn't a deal breaker but only adds too number 1. From using it two nights now it does seem to wipe off easier but I fear that's at the expense of lubrication. I was looking through my shelves and found a Clay Magic bottle. Grabbed it, BOOM, just as good as Adam's V1 detail spray minus the smell good.
Well that's disappointing...

Haven't tried the new formula out and have seen mixed reviews on it. I still have have about a gallon and a half left of the V1. Maybe I need to save that for claying and get the new formula for actual detail spray wipe downs or another brand...
Old 07-23-2013, 08:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by AWDTBSS
For reference that Clay Magic bottle you grabbed is called Auto Magic Body Shine (same company as I'm sure you know). Ya it doesnt have much of a smell but atleast it doesn't smell bad
That I did not know. Thanks!
Old 07-23-2013, 09:08 PM
TECH Regular

Ya no problem, pretty affordable too they are under $20 for a gallon
Old 07-24-2013, 08:50 AM
FormerVendor

Sorry to hear you're disappointed with it. The new formula is markedly slicker and works much more efficiently as a clay bar lubricant, that was one of the big improvements we made.

Did you shake the bottle before you used it?

If you're unhappy with it, we will gladly take it back with the 110% guarantee. I feel like there may be something missing here though as this is the first I've heard if it being "useless" as a clay bar lubricant and we have thousands of gallons out there being used.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Nick@Adams
Sorry to hear you're disappointed with it. The new formula is markedly slicker and works much more efficiently as a clay bar lubricant, that was one of the big improvements we made.

Did you shake the bottle before you used it?

If you're unhappy with it, we will gladly take it back with the 110% guarantee. I feel like there may be something missing here though as this is the first I've heard if it being "useless" as a clay bar lubricant and we have thousands of gallons out there being used.
Nick,

I did not shake the bottle before I used it and never did with V1.. I was really disapointed in it's performance with a clay bar. I tried to use it again last night. It's not slick at all. The clay grabs the paint and leaves clay on the paint. I haven't ran into this before. I thought maybe I got a bad gallon but I don't know. I was really excited about trying the new version because I love V1 so much and recommend to everyone. This is the frist Adam's product I've used that I've not been happy with. By no means am I trying to bash your product but I can't say I like something when I don't.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:24 AM
FormerVendor

Nick,

I did not shake the bottle before I used it and never did with V1.. I was really disapointed in it's performance with a clay bar. I tried to use it again last night. It's not slick at all. The clay grabs the paint and leaves clay on the paint. I haven't ran into this before. I thought maybe I got a bad gallon but I don't know. I was really excited about trying the new version because I love V1 so much and recommend to everyone. This is the frist Adam's product I've used that I've not been happy with. By no means am I trying to bash your product but I can't say I like something when I don't.
Shaking is always a good idea as some of it tends to settle out if the bottle sits for while without use.

Shoot me a PM and we can work out details on getting it back to us. I'll get you a new gallon sent out because that is definitely far from the norm.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:02 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quick question, and I'm sure its been covered before. I am getting a set of CCW's soon, and they will be put on a car that I drive daily (the wheels will be taken off in the late fall and winter months). What should I coat the wheels with after I polish to ensure that the finish lasts with minimal re-polishing?
Old 07-24-2013, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm I really like Adams new QD and use it as my main now.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Question...

I got some Zanio Leather in a Bottle I used earlier today, worked perfect but I made a small mistake about halfway through. I got trigger happy and got too much product on the applicator, so I decided to distribute it in a few different spots on the drivers seat. Well, I did this, got distracted by something for about a minute, came back and the seat is blotched in those few areas from where the product sat and wasn't immediately wiped off, I could not wipe these out. I figured it would dry over the hours while I was at work but I just looked in the car and the spots are still there.

Did I stain the seats? Any ideas on how to get rid of them?

Last edited by TransAmWS.6; 07-24-2013 at 10:35 PM.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

You can use a leather cleaner to remove the conditioner.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

I used a few new products this week on my current job.

New formula Iron X= fantastic, it clings to the car better and I didn't use as much as I have in the past. It still stinks but that's OK. I was super impressed with the new formula.

Had no idea that CarPro reformulated IX. If you don't mind me asking, who did you order it through? Might be time to shoot Corey an email and grab some of this!

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer