Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Ask a Professional Detailer

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

STILL haven't polished my car. Should get to it this week since I'm on spring break. Quick question..

For the TA spoiler, would you recommend just taking it off completely to polish it? The owner before me obviously did not know how to wash a car and the swirls are terrible. I want to get rid of all traces of them. I wasn't sure how much harder it would be to take off the spoiler but I would really like to get a good detail.

I remember seeing one of your threads where you wetsanded a NBM trans am and took the hatch off.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would take it off. One word of caution is, be careful with the plastic piece that covers the bolts on the inside of the hatch. The plastics in these cars is thin and gets brittle over time. Take your time and use some panel removal tools or something like a spackle knife to gently pry the connections loose. There will also be the third brake light harness that needs to be pulled back into the hatch area.

I want to remove mine on my artic white car because of the 12 years of grime that gets caught in the area between the hatch and spoiler. It's getting to the point where it is noticeable.

Take some before, during and after pics. Good luck
Old 03-01-2012, 05:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by dabest09
STILL haven't polished my car. Should get to it this week since I'm on spring break. Quick question..

For the TA spoiler, would you recommend just taking it off completely to polish it? The owner before me obviously did not know how to wash a car and the swirls are terrible. I want to get rid of all traces of them. I wasn't sure how much harder it would be to take off the spoiler but I would really like to get a good detail.

I remember seeing one of your threads where you wetsanded a NBM trans am and took the hatch off.

The one I did was just the spoiler, not the whole hatch, that was the only way to do it right. Its easy, only 4 bolts and disconnect the brakelight pigtail. Definitely remove it for the detail.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Ok guys, I'm finally taking a day off, and thought I'd come in here to catch up on some questions.....

Originally Posted by Rare96LT1Formula
Jeff/Junkman - Tried any of the new blackfire products yet? I'm considering trying a few of their updated items.
I got to play with a few @ SEMA and Blackfire is still hitting home runs with their stuff.

Originally Posted by TransAmWS.6
^^That's what I use on my car, works good.

Question, the roadway I commute on has a TON of leftover salt on it from when it snowed this past weekend. I mean, the road is usually black, but from all the salt it's pretty much white, completely dry though. Is the dried up salt all over the road going to harm my car? I mean, when I park, there is no salt grime on the car whatsoever. But, I'm just wondering if it's still damaging and I just don't know it or see it.

As it sits, the car has 0 rust on it, the chrome wheels are almost immaculate and I've got a pretty much brand new shiny Magnaflow catback on the car that I would hate to see get messed up, so this is something that concerns me.
Keep that metal clean and sealed. Especially the chrome. Road salt will eat chrome like nobodys business. Stay on top of it.....pull those wheels off, clean them perfectly and seal them. Use a good wheel cleaner like P21S wheel gel or Sonax Full Effect so as not to strip the protection you just applied. Use the Daytona brush to get and keep the barrels clean.

Originally Posted by JUSTINSWS6
Any one try this mitt? Also what is a good leather cleaner?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SMA-85-340/
I'd stay far away from that mitt.

Zaino Z9 leather cleaner is excellent. Leather Masters is also very good.

Originally Posted by Junkman2008
If Summit is selling it, I would bet it's low quality Chinese made junk.
Agreed.

Originally Posted by bobbyd
is Menzerna Micro finish the same as PO85?
Never seen "Micro Finish" before..... got a link?

Originally Posted by 1999transamls1
how do you protect the clear on a satin car? wouldnt normal wax make it really shinny? or is there a satin/low gloss wax?
The only product I know of is Swissvax Opaque. $$$

Originally Posted by 1999transamls1
I'm thinking of painting my car with a satin clear coat, but using a regular wax would just make it shine to much right? Is there a special wax you use for satin clears?
See above

Originally Posted by wav3form
I would think that a matte clear would accept wax like any other clear but be less shiny. You still have to treat the clear and protect it, right?
It will accept it yes....will it look good? No. It will streak and smear like crazy. Do not do it.

Originally Posted by bigbomber5
My drivers side window has "rub spots" from going up and down. Is there something I can do to fix this up?
If the glass is abraded you may be out of luck. If it doesn't come off with some polish, I'd take the glass to a glass refinishing company.

Originally Posted by slowpoke96z28
what is the SOP for exterior care when its the rainy season? i dont have a garage, so the car is in the elements 24hrs a day. i currently dont wash it if i know its going to rain within a few days, but that could mean several weeks or months before i wash, and i dont think thats good right?
Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 would be very good for your conditions. Also Aquartz is another excellent choice for extreme durability. Long-term neglect (which is what you just described) will cause you major detailing issues (read: $$$) down the road. Detail it and keep it protected to avoid that.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by needtransam
I have a question for you, I have an 01 z28 white in color, im going to get my front bumper and fenders replaced, my question is I was going to repaint the whole car but some people told me the paint is still in good condition with a very few paint chips here and their, since the front is going to be replaced, what could I do to get the car to be restored and look equal to the new paint on the bumper and fenders? thanks

A proper detail with correcting the paint (via rotary or DA) should bring the brightness of the paint back to match the new paint. Better to spend 300-500+ having a pro do the whole car (after painting) than to spend a few thousand to paint the whole car.....as you'll likely have to have a pro detail it anyway to remove swirls/buffer trails and holograms from the body shop and remaining sand scratches that are almost always present.

Junkman/Jeff - Ever tried the CG Stripper Scent? Your impressions? Ordered that along with some ONR, LC Flat Pads, BFWD, and 85RD yesterday. Pretty excited for the spring weather to come along here in Chicago, can't wait to correct/opti coat the wifes new Camry and finally get a good correction on my WS6!

Btw - Go Fast, your C5 Z06....drool. Insanity.
Haven't tried it, specifically over the controversial name. While it has advertising appeal, someone made a good point about it being offensive to some customers and that is something I agree with and is not worth the risk for a professional as that is the image you want to convey.....professionalism.

Can't wait to see the detail pics! The 85RD is going to make the paint just POP!

Thanks for the comments on the C5Z!! It may be up for sale later this year as I'm toying with the idea of a C6Z....r1?.....maybe.... No idea if I can afford it this year, but who knows? Its a good year so far, but for right now I'm loving the C5Z. Thank you!

Originally Posted by BadCompany VP WS6
And these can be polished out VERY nicely.

Well done.

Originally Posted by BadCompany VP WS6
M105 and a Lake country CCS Orange pad, and M205 on a Lake country CCS Black pad. Sealed with whatever your choice is.
I'd add in some 106FA or 85RD for finishing to up the gloss, but that is a great combo to bring back one of the most neglected spots on fbodys.

I forgot to ask this but I'm wondering if any of the following products have the ability to strip existing wax/sealant/glaze.

Meguiars Gold Class Wash
ONR (2nd formula) - Didn't think it does but figured I'd ask.

Reason being is I need to do some surface prep prior to my correction on my artic white trans am. Ideally, I'd take the car outside and give her a nice wash but I have well water at my house that I refuse to drink, let alone wash my car with!
Neither of these will strip the wax/sealant. Glazes are very weak against any soap/cleaner, so they may weaken it, but not a wax/sealant.

Dawn and CG Citrus wash are both great ways to strip the previous LSP off.

Yea, I think that is ultimately what I'm going to need to do. I'd love to be able to pull the car out and wash her, but with my unfiltered well water... I'm not letting that touch my paint!

My brother in law keeps telling me to buy a deionizer filter that we could install on my water valve outside. He says the water would be medical grade clean. Any thoughts? I would obviously need to change the filter frequently as the water in my well tank is known to be hard water with above normal iron levels. Converting to a city water/sewer system would cost around 10 grand and I'm trying to save myself the hassle/money for that debacle.
I'd strongly recommend a CR Spotless system. A LOT less than 10k, and perfect for your situation.

Originally Posted by Junkman2008
Although this thread has a lot of pages, it's practically a detailing manual. Kudos to GoFast for starting it. There are places that charge for the amount of info that this thread provides.
Thank you This is why I do get a little irritated at people not even reading through and saying because its a "lot of pages".....yes its a lot of pages indicating the time out of my busy schedule to help others out. Look, I'm here answering stuff on my first day off in 2 weeks!! There is a lot of free info and some trade secrets I've shared. As I've taken the time to write so much for others I'd appreciate people taking the time to respect that and read through for answers. Too many people from the "give it to me now" generation.

Sorry for the rant.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would recommend listing on the opening post to not even bother asking anyone to compile the thread. Heck, they may not even read that though.

Dang Jeff, taking time out of your day off to answer questions. What a guy. Please just relax and enjoy the time off to yourself!
Old 03-01-2012, 08:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Conrad
I would recommend listing on the opening post to not even bother asking anyone to compile the thread. Heck, they may not even read that though.

Dang Jeff, taking time out of your day off to answer questions. What a guy. Please just relax and enjoy the time off to yourself!
I'm working on compiling it, but its going to take some time before I can post up the changes. But its coming...
Old 03-01-2012, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Problem is people are to damn lazy.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:06 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Forgive me if this had been in asked in the previous 52 pages, but I pulled my side moldings off. The driver side cleaned up well:

However, I found that the passenger door and rear quarter have been repainted - and they did not remove the molding:

edit: Here are some better pictures of the grime I can't get with the clay:

What can I do with this? Wet sand it smooth? Take it to a paint shop?

In case one is wondering, I washed the car with Dawn and I just clayed it (which I'm unable to get all of the grime from where the moldings were on the passenger side due to it being painted over). I'm following up with Meguiars new Ultimate compound, polish, and wax. I do not have an electric orbital or anything -- all in the arm

Any advice is appreciated! Thank you!

Last edited by demonspeed; 03-02-2012 at 12:17 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:00 AM
Staging Lane

Whats a good spray or anything to clean my carpet.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:05 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1bad99
this thread is even getting on my nerves.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/15349710-post186.html
Old 03-02-2012, 12:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by demonspeed
Forgive me if this had been in asked in the previous 52 pages, but I pulled my side moldings off. The driver side cleaned up well. However, I found that the passenger door and rear quarter have been repainted - and they did not remove the molding. In case one is wondering, I washed the car with Dawn and I just clayed it (which I'm unable to get all of the grime from where the moldings were on the passenger side due to it being painted over). I'm following up with Meguiars new Ultimate compound, polish, and wax. I do not have an electric orbital or anything -- all in the arm

First, and I don't mean to sound like an *** here but if you have to ask whether or not wet sanding is needed, that is something that you should definitely not be thinking about doing. One problem that would be evident with wet sanding is that the clear UNDER the moldings is going to be a lot thinner than the clear that was painted aftermarket. Thus, if you start wet sanding where the molding was, you could quickly end up striking through the clear and right into the paint. That equals new paint job.

Now as for my professional opinion, let a professional fix it. The only possible outcome that you could hope for is just making it look less noticeable. If you want it to look correct, allow professional intervention.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

The problem as GoFast eluded to is how hard it is to thoroughly rinse your carpet. The second problem is knowing what NOT to use on your carpet. In no instance do you ever want to use SOAP to clean your carpet unless you have a huge van with a professional extracting machine on it. Since the only folks who have access to on of those are the people who clean carpets for a living, that means that you will never be using soap.

There are products on the market that clean carpet without soap as an ingredient. Adam's has carpet cleaner that I use, which cleans without soap. There's a technical description of how the process works but I won't bore you with the details. Just know that for every 1 part soap that you use, it must be rinsed clean with 10 parts water. As you can imagine, that is pretty much impossible to do by hand as you'll never get all the water out of the carpet and you'll end up causing a mildew mess.

Thus, use a product that cleans without soap and remember that unless you remove all of the cleaner out of the carpet, it will end up getting dirty again, but much faster. That's why you never use soap. Here are some floor matts that I cleaned:

I used a machine like this:

Old 03-02-2012, 01:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Can't even read a couple posts above your own.....

This has been answered.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by demonspeed
Forgive me if this had been in asked in the previous 52 pages, but I pulled my side moldings off. The driver side cleaned up well:

However, I found that the passenger door and rear quarter have been repainted - and they did not remove the molding:

edit: Here are some better pictures of the grime I can't get with the clay:

What can I do with this? Wet sand it smooth? Take it to a paint shop?

In case one is wondering, I washed the car with Dawn and I just clayed it (which I'm unable to get all of the grime from where the moldings were on the passenger side due to it being painted over). I'm following up with Meguiars new Ultimate compound, polish, and wax. I do not have an electric orbital or anything -- all in the arm

Actually I don't think this one has been asked in ALL the pages I have spent time ANSWERING every question asked of me........................

I am willing to bet that is not dirt or residue but a ridge of clear coat. It needs to be professionally sanded down and buffed out, but likely would need repainting for the same reasons Junkman pointed out.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z
Can't even read a couple posts above your own.....

This has been answered.
Sorry i had a quick question but didnt have hours to sit here and read thru this book that your writing!I have to say you give great advice but for the ppl who just have a simple question but not alot of time, i figured this be the thread to hit up.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:05 PM
TECH Junkie

If you're not willing to put the time in, why should I?

You're right, this thread is a good place to hit up....but reading posts is what needs to be done. If you just want a quick answer because you can't make the time, just post a new thread.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:10 PM
Staging Lane

Not that i cant make time, at the moment i was working and had a question and DIDNT MAKE time to read this thread. I wasnt mocking your time and advice. But I understand where you are coming from. Thanks man.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:14 PM
Teching In

One more question, when you are polishing with say a PC, do you have to do anything special in areas like a WS6 hood? How do you polish the sides of the nostrils? Or does it just work and not something you have to take special care of?
Old 03-02-2012, 07:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

The PC tends to bog down over areas like that if your technique is flawed. What I would do if I was using a PC is use a 4" pad and accompanying back plate. That makes areas like that very easy to do with the PC. This problem is not present with the Flex or Rotary machine, just the PC. At the same time, that's what makes the PC so safe and the Flex a little more dangerous. A rotary would be a LOT more dangerous.

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer