Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

New product... What do you want to see?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 06:08 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 3stgstocker
U may already make these or know somebody who does? I'm lookn for the little triangle piece with the rubber trim that is urethaned on to the front corner of the sail panel on a 2000 camaro. I'm sure camaro and ta are the same but I thought I saw somebody making them from carbon fiber if so I'd like to know who? Anybody know feel free 2 pm me!
Unfortunately we don't. Most our FG roof guys reuse theirs or the CF guys just leave them off. Junkyard?
Old 07-07-2014, 06:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by formula218
the projector looks like this

you would just have to make hole in the plate the size of your projector.

could you make me a set? if so how PM me how much.
Was going to post hit up BS but already beaten to it lol!
Old 07-07-2014, 06:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by VIP1
Those were offered in the past by a few vendors (including 6LE, if I remember correctly), but decreasing interest/sales led to them being discontinued.

I think 6LE still does hydrodipping. However, I've never seen a hydrodipped carbon-fiber look-a-like that actually looked real. They all look a bit off.
I think Emblem Pros hydro dip. We used to offer wrapped stock pieces but our vendor stopped doing them...
Old 07-07-2014, 06:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 99'CajunFirehawk157
Yeah IMHO $ talks and B/S walks, 6LE just reoffered their rear firebird diffusers at a killer price for 10 units on a preorder. Guess what, they still don't have 10 units sold! Everybody talks about what they want but when its time to pony the up the $, its a different story. These guys can't front all of these projects. Be interested to hear how many sets of custom T/A tail light lenses they sold, I bet the numbers would shock you. (not many!) I am thankful Mark & Co are here to offer cool stuff for our 4th gen cars, lets face it, 4th gens are now in the same boat as 3rd gens as far as aftermarket parts go; 5th gens have stole the show in aftermarket parts but that's where the $ is. (rant off) Thanks 6LE!
I think we're at 4 diffusers and 9 tail lights lol! Thanks
Old 07-07-2014, 09:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DaRReLL
Clear brake light lens for the 98-02 Camaro SS Spoiler. I've looked all over with no luck (eBay). Hawk's has replacement red ones but not clear.
My bad. I should of looked and seen it was en-capsuled with glue around the LED's. I just took it off today so I could have my body guy repaint the spoiler and just noticed how it is made up. Had to order a new one off of Hawks, the last guy had this one glued to the spoiler. What fun it was removing it.

Thanks again 6LE for listening to all our suggestions....
Old 07-08-2014, 06:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER
I think we're at 4 diffusers and 9 tail lights lol! Thanks
WOW and with all those posts about wanting taillights you got a whopping 9 sets ordered, unbelievable!
Old 07-08-2014, 05:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

We can make the photoshopped splitter but it would be expensive. $600 + shipping is our quote... Now the price could go down, issue is what it is made out of...

Urethane, it would be cheap to MAKE but not produce. The part would be much cheaper (not quality just price) BUT the mold is around $10K. We would need about THIRTY orders at $400 (+ OR - SHIPPING, don't know yet) or else we'd have to double the price at 10 orders and still be way negative.

Fiberglass/CF the molds are cheaper, about 4K to 5K, but the finished product is more expensive. Hence $600 but only needing 10 pre-orders.
If my design got produced I would definately be down to purchase. Im a perfectionalist and all about the details so there are caveats with me , so it would have to integrate into the stock bumper as well as, say, the 1le splitter or zr1/z06 integrates. In my photoshops I was able to accomplish that. But, as im sure you guys know its alot different when it comes time to fabricate the actual part on the car, you can only make guesses at the surfacing creating a design digitally unless you have actual dimensional specs of the bumper to create the design in something like solidworks. The upward sweep of the bottom line of 98-02 bumpers makes it even more challenging integrate a splitter. Done right though, it would look incredible. I wish I had the time to take a large flat piece of styrofoam and shape it wih a sander. I have too many priojects going as it is though That would be a cheap way to make a realistic prototype and method that alot of fab shops use to proto custom body parts initially. Its like shaping clay only your using a mixture of a sander and sand paper by hand on styrofoam.

If you guy want to pursue this, Id be happy to create more images of splitter I desiged at more specific angles.

I have a couple ideas on the Camaro taillights. If we could chat on the phone sometime, thatd be great.... Shoot me a pm.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If the splitter looked like the one in the picture, was legit like that, I would pay the $600 tomorrow. No BS say I would and not.

If you could build it to match the photoshop renderings and we could approve of those before, I would pay before it was made.

I know it's hard to make theses things before having a commitment though, but it's hard to pay for a product that is not yet produced. Maybe we need kick starter here.

Bottom line, if its like the photo shop and we can see multiple angles and it can be produced to match, count me in.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:06 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which style Z28 emblem are you looking at?
I'll probably just attach an emblem to my existing billet grille. Thanks though.

I really would love a pair of the Led tail lights but $500 is out of my budget (and many others) for tail lights. What do you have in mind with the lights you posted that you currently offer?
Old 07-09-2014, 03:35 PM
Banned

Splitter we would actually shape out of wood, get fit perfect, coat and then mold. Going to talk to RK about it next week...
Old 07-09-2014, 06:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Splitter we would actually shape out of wood, get fit perfect, coat and then mold. Going to talk to RK about it next week...
If you are referring to splitter LT4Vert made, I want in. Any idea of a rough estimate of how much that would cost?
Old 07-09-2014, 07:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just on the curiosity side, how much would a proper urethane bumper cap cost per unit to produce? I say urethane as opposed to fiberglass, as those things are nowhere near 5mph due to how inflexible fiberglass can be. We've all seen the imports with cracked up ground effects, and let's face it, no one wants to be that guy.

I'm a Transportation (Car) Designer in Southern California, and I've always wanted to do a bit of tweaking to the Trans Am front end. If there were some interest (and the opportunity to get one for myself), I'd put some work into a handsome upgrade. My thoughts go along the lines of KLRWS6's work below, but with possibly integrating the splitter into the mold. Other changes include:
  • Lower the bottom edge of the scoops on the outboard edges
  • License plate mount relocated to splitter (horizontal)
  • LED DRL/directionals integrated into a continuous strip instead of individual LEDS
  • Possible foglight delete (don't really need 'em and LEDs)
  • More vertical center (where bird is) instead of the "tucked in" look
  • Removal of side strakes that originally split the side intakes
  • Better coverage of the front part of the tire (less tuck under the car)

If there is interest, I can work up some Photoshops, but ultimately it is possible to scan a factory-correct car and import the data for building the piece in 3D. Final tooling would be CNC'ed. However, that's where my part would end, as I'm a designer and not a production house or retailer.

Originally Posted by KLRWS6
Ok i have read all the other comments and decided to do another poll. It will be the V1, V2 and the V. I would like feed back again. Thank you

V.

V1.

V2.

Last edited by eb110americana; 07-09-2014 at 07:24 PM.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You design, 6LE builds, WIN
Old 07-09-2014, 09:57 PM
Banned

All of that is possible but getting into that type of production you're easily looking at around $30k.

Just for example, doing a smaller piece like our valances... Now, there was no 3D scanning involved. For the CME we just bought the mold that already existed. For the DE Valance we cut up a CME, and made an injection mold out of the new design.

That piece is relatively small and straight forward and yet it still costs $7k 5 years ago and now is $7K to $9K depending where you go.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am curious as to the cost breakdown of that $30K. Is it mostly the tooling (male and female mold faces)?

3D scanning these days is not too difficult. A silver car wouldn't even need marker dots applied, and a handheld scanner could input points. Once you have some data mapped, it takes time to start building surfaces around this, as it's not like the movies where you can just scan a shape into the computer. Once the final shape is built, shelled for material thickness, .iges or other type data can be exported for a (admittedly expensive) prototype part. If that fits, molds can be made from this part, or molds can be CNC'ed from the 3D data.

It is also possible to hand-mold these shapes through clay modeling, shaping foams or other substrates, but I much prefer the digital method. At the very least, it yields perfect symmetry.

Like I said, it's just one of those projects I've always had in the back of my head. Like everyone else here, I have many other projects keeping me busy, but this seemed as good a time as any to broach the subject. Plus, I just noticed you're also based in SoCal, only about 30-45 minutes from me, so who knows what could come of it.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:18 AM
Banned

Shoot me an e-mail and I can put you in touch with Mike at RK Sport, might be cheaper if you can do all the computer stuff and just hand them a file to make a mold from...
Old 07-11-2014, 01:19 AM
Banned

mark@6LEDesigns.com
Old 07-11-2014, 07:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Thumbs up

Mark yall have such a good rep with RK sport I know I hear a lot of guys looking for the vert light bars (mock roll bar, like mine) they used to make for 4th gens, they still make light bars but just for 5th gens and mustangs, maybe they/ya'll can get a run of some more 4th gen light bars made, they fit both camaro and firebird 4th gens. I would troll the vert section and get a feel for this, I would imagine you could sell these on eBay too. Just a thought.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Old 07-11-2014, 02:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 99'CajunFirehawk157
Mark yall have such a good rep with RK sport I know I hear a lot of guys looking for the vert light bars (mock roll bar, like mine) they used to make for 4th gens, they still make light bars but just for 5th gens and mustangs, maybe they/ya'll can get a run of some more 4th gen light bars made, they fit both camaro and firebird 4th gens. I would troll the vert section and get a feel for this, I would imagine you could sell these on eBay too. Just a thought.

I'll ask Mike but don't get hopes up as it may have been something originally from Italy. There were a TON of stuff they had for LT1 cars that went away (gauge panels, emblems, etc...) that I found out from him was stock they bought from someone else's dying business...

Quick Reply: New product... What do you want to see?