Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Completed Wire Mod: Tutorial Inside

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2004, 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Everyone on the LS2 board was talking about all the water that would be getting to the wires and causing corrosion. Does the inside fenderwell not go back in after the wiring is ran? I can understand this arguement if it doesn't and I wouldn't do it just for that reason but if the fenderwell lining goes back in, that would keep the water from splashing all over the wires and getting inside the tubing.
Old 08-18-2004, 06:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Has anyone done this on their LT1? We have a positive terminal on the fenderwell and was wondering where that could be relocated to? Just put it back in same place under fender?
Old 08-18-2004, 09:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SStolen
Everyone on the LS2 board was talking about all the water that would be getting to the wires and causing corrosion. Does the inside fenderwell not go back in after the wiring is ran? I can understand this arguement if it doesn't and I wouldn't do it just for that reason but if the fenderwell lining goes back in, that would keep the water from splashing all over the wires and getting inside the tubing.
The inside fenderwell goes back in after the wires are routed through. That alone should stop water from splashing on the wires, but I further wrapped the relocated wires with electrical rubber splicing tape just in case
Old 09-27-2004, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Posted by: kgkerno1
Has anyone done this on their LT1? We have a positive terminal on the fenderwell and was wondering where that could be relocated to? Just put it back in same place under fender?
I would like to know this also, I know that there are some differences in the wiring but I would think that it could be done.

Also, for those asking about filling the holes. I have a black Z and I filled some holes under my hood by using blue RTV sealant. I filled the holes, smoothed it out really well and made sure that it was level and smooth with the metal. After it dried, I used a black model paint marker to paint the RTV and it blended in great. You have to look really hard to tell. Also, if you need to re-use the holes, it is easy to get teh RTV out.
Old 10-04-2004, 02:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

You could fairly easily weld up the holes in the fender well, but it would be a LOT more work than simply RTVing the holes. It would however, look absolutely seamless.
Old 11-09-2004, 05:53 PM
Teching In

Very nice write up... I will probably be doing this mod soon... I hate how cluttered the LS1 engine bay is...
Old 11-25-2004, 10:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i didnt read through it all but when i did mine, the holes in the fender i put the clips back in to keep the wires from going everywhere. also, i used to have a rubber grommet for the hole but for the location of the hole it looked like crap so i took the black wire cover and extended it down so if anything gets cut it will be that, then electrical tape then the wire. but that wont happen the wires dont touch and when i flipped the clips around, it doesnt move. ill get some pics of it for those of you who dont know what im saying haha
Old 12-11-2004, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just for a comparison. Here is our 99 SS that we did this on. We filled the holes with bondo.

Chris

Last edited by NufNuffZ28; 12-11-2004 at 11:12 AM.
Old 12-11-2004, 01:29 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by NufNuffZ28
Just for a comparison. Here is our 99 SS that we did this on. We filled the holes with bondo.

Chris
Very well done.
Old 12-13-2004, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Steve Goodwin
Very well done.

Thank you VERY much. About 12 hours work total!!!!!

Chris
Old 01-10-2005, 02:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Very nice write up very detailed and NufNuffZ28 your car is mint
BTLFEDSS
Old 01-18-2005, 02:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 2002yroneformula
I've been looking at doing this mod for a few months, but have some doubts as to the finished product. Are the wires actually in the open wheel well, or is there something between them and the tires, besides the electircal tape? Granted I don't go looking for pot holes, my car is lowered and sometimes, does bottom out on the front end a little bit. Just wondering about this before I look further into doing the mod. I do like how it cleans the engine bay up though.
No, they are sandwiched between the plastic wheel well liner and the engine bay.. You can see it good in our write-up.

My SS was the first to do this mod and after several years its had ZERO problems.

Poltergeists and my writeup is here:
http://www.poltergeist.us/Misc/WireMod
Old 03-07-2005, 10:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

I did this mod around March of '04 and no problems since...

I sandwiched the wires between the frame & the fender liner, and for an extra measure of safety, wrapped it all up very very good with black electrical tape...

Also, I resused the little black clips on the underside of the fenderwell to hold the woring harness, they just pop back into the holes they came out of originally, just on the underside... and I also used velcro just in case in a few years down the road the clips become brittle & break.

Love the clean look and I think it might actually be more protected than before ....I wrapped the crap outta those wires...
Old 03-20-2005, 11:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

heres my pics and the way i did it last spring..little different.

http://community.webshots.com/album/64999662fXYdvY
Old 03-20-2005, 12:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
heres my pics and the way i did it last spring..little different.

http://community.webshots.com/album/64999662fXYdvY
Cool, looks just like mine, only I used a 1" bit & had to take the connectors off, but not completely...look great huh?

I like how now, the only the you can see on either side, is on the drivers side, the AIR/EGR/whatever line over the drivers sides fender well...I have no AIR/EGR, but I want to leave that there to save time if I ever put all that crap back on...only a couple ounces anyways
Old 03-29-2005, 06:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone have opinions on whether or not to leave the wires partially vented to let moisture escape rather than "mummify" them with black tape?
Old 04-04-2005, 01:26 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NufNuffZ28
Thank you VERY much. About 12 hours work total!!!!!
Don't sweat it, I was careful and thorough and it took me about that long as well.

Thanks, LSWon for posting this, and thanks to the other folks who pioneered this mod. I have been wanting to do this mod for a while, and I thought that the wires are pretty crappy looking. We did this on my SS which has a little over 3,700 miles on it, so cutting a nice fat hole in it was not the easiest thing in the world to do.

Well, I finally did it, and it came out pretty good. We cut the hole a little too far toward the fender, so there is a slight bit of tension on the wiring assembly, but it still velcros to the top of the fenderwell easily and there is a small amount of slack for when the body shifts...if it does.

A couple of problems I ran into...

There are two plastic fasteners behind the front tire that holds the splash guard to the body panels. I basically destroyed them trying to get them out. I am no body shop guy (obviously), so I am not sure if there is a way to get them out without wrecking them. I think some input might help out folks in the future.

Also, I am looking for a 1 3-4" rubber grommet for the hole. Does anyone know where to find one? I used some vacuum hose sliced down one side, but I am looking for something just a bit cleaner. If anyone can help me locate one or two, I would very much appreciate it.

I plan to post some pics and videos soon.
Old 04-09-2005, 03:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just did this mod today Its only been...oh...2 years since I intended on doing it.

I did however take a little different aproach. I actually drilled 4 small holes to create the corners, and used a sawzall to cut out a rectangle just large enough to get the connector through (and a little extra to allow the last connectors to go through with all the other wires already through the hole). Filed the corners and edges and touched it up with a little paint. Looks really good and you can hardly even notice it (although my car is black so that makes it a little less obvious).
Old 04-17-2005, 04:45 PM
Staging Lane

Default Grommet...

For anyone interested, I found the right grommet to use when following LSWon's directions...

Go to http://www.cableorganizer.com
Do a search for part# OMAR-2875

$6.25 plus shipping. Fits great, looks pretty good, very durable. I couldn't find one that size locally.
Old 05-04-2005, 11:14 PM
That's what she said...

did it to mine about 2 weeks ago

looks MUCH better, it got me on an engine bay detaling/fiddling/cleaning/simplyfing spree. i'll get some pics of that and my polished/brushed (outside ) throttle body that i did today.

Quick Reply: Completed Wire Mod: Tutorial Inside