Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Completed Wire Mod: Tutorial Inside

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 09:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

brushed outside? sounds like me, a wire wheel and call it done... haha
I'll eventually polish the whole exterior, just dont know when.

I plan on the wire mod this weekend hopefully, probably cut and solder..
Old 06-24-2005, 12:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by lswon
CANNIBAL is correct! Not one wire was cut
Yeah but....you have to drill a 1.5" hole in your car though.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by joblo1978
Yeah but....you have to drill a 1.5" hole in your car though.

If you're too lazy to repin you connector. I drilled a 3/4" hole.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:21 AM
TECH Resident

Hell of a write up! Thanks for all your hard work!
Old 06-27-2005, 01:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Here's a pic for the LT1'ers out there.

Last edited by Bawls; 07-30-2005 at 10:41 AM.
Old 07-09-2005, 11:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 07-11-2005, 12:16 PM
Staging Lane

the link provided at the top no longer works, in addition when attempting to reach main .com site, this is shown:

Qex

Was Here.

x3q [at] hotmail [dot] com

either you're site is administrativly down or it's been h4X0r3d
Old 07-12-2005, 12:45 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by pr95blackbird
the link provided at the top no longer works, in addition when attempting to reach main .com site, this is shown:

Qex

Was Here.

x3q [at] hotmail [dot] com

either you're site is administrativly down or it's been h4X0r3d
Yep, the site was hacked, but luckily I have all my files backed up, so the site is back online.
Old 07-17-2005, 03:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Ground Relocation Tidbit

I discovered this by accident and thought I would share...if you have relocated your ground wires from the tops of the fenderwells, then you are left with those unsightly holes. I discovered that the license plate bolt kit from Hillco is a perfect fit. It contains two chrome "bowtie" screws and two aluminum appearance washers. For the Pontiac folks, I think the bolts may be available with the "arrowhead" on them, but you will have to check with Hillco. The part number is LS1-LPK-CH ($6.75)...it was included with the full bolt kit. Here's a pic:
Attached Thumbnails Completed Wire Mod: Tutorial Inside-img_0428.jpg  
Old 07-17-2005, 03:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Nice Lawman!

I havent done my ground wire stuff off of the core support nore the drivers side. Looks great, not to mention your 'bay paint looks really nice...
Old 07-17-2005, 07:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brandon
Nice Lawman!

I havent done my ground wire stuff off of the core support nore the drivers side. Looks great, not to mention your 'bay paint looks really nice...
Thanks...the bay paint actually looks pretty bad...the camera was very friendly to it! I was lucky that none of the ground wires or wiring harnesses from the !wire mod had done any rubbing.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lswon
I didn't forget none of the auto parts places had the size I needed so I have to make a trip today to home depot to pick up a small piece of hose.

Although, if you file it smooth enough, I find it hard to believe that anything will get cut on it. That thing is perfectly smoooth better safe than sorry I guess
…What about some black door edge trim to cover the cut edge of the metal??
Old 07-20-2005, 10:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by AnimalSS
…What about some black door edge trim to cover the cut edge of the metal??
See my previous post in this thread...

Originally Posted by JDebler
For anyone interested, I found the right grommet to use when following LSWon's directions...

Go to http://www.cableorganizer.com
Do a search for part# OMAR-2875

$6.25 plus shipping. Fits great, looks pretty good, very durable. I couldn't find one that size locally.
I was using some vacuum line sliced along the length and some black adhesive, but that didn't look very good and I couldn't get it to fit right. The grommet fits better and is a bit more secure, IMO. I made a single cut in the grommet to "break the circle" to install it as I had already got the wire mod done and didn't want to tear it all apart again to feed the wires through the grommet. Position it right and the cut is not noticeable. Looks almost factory, fits much more secure. See attached image, don't mind the dirt and dust.
Attached Thumbnails Completed Wire Mod: Tutorial Inside-grommet.jpg  
Old 07-23-2005, 01:09 PM
Temple, TX Resident

that looks good with the grommet on there ...helps fill in the rest of the hole also ,...... i just ordered my grommet =)
Old 08-18-2005, 10:18 PM
Staging Lane

I used some rubber coated metal used for home weather stripping. Didn't need adheisive, the metal coud bend around the cut hole. Looked ver clean too.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:40 AM
Staging Lane

I've been planning to do this ever since I tore my engine and drivetrain down (back in April!! And she's STILL not together!!! Time is short and I keep adding things to do and modify as I go)

Anyway, I was poking around up under the fender and noticed that the inner-fender has a tunnel running from around the hood bracket support down toward the front of the car where there is a round hole in the inner-fender which leads to the same area used in the mod above!!....amazingly like a cable chase for the exact wiring in question!! Could it be that the design team ment to use this for what we are doing in this mod but the Corporate powers to be saw it to not be cost effective as design continued... and the tunnel was just left there because it has some structural qualities!!?? Possibily also due to the placement of the weatherpak connectors which would have put them IN the tunnel with the wiring harnesses present configuration.

Things that make you go....Hmmmmmm!??

Unfortunately, I found the hole after I had already cut my hole in the front of the computer so I did the mod as described. I think that...when I get time... I MIGHT go back in there and drill another hole near the hood mount into the tunnel and re-re-route the wires through the tunnel....hence.....no water problem and no million feet of electrical tape! Biggest dis-advantage I see is the harness from the computer side will have to be extended so the weatherpak connectors take up residence beside the battery.
Have the think on this a-while......
Old 08-20-2005, 09:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

I noticed that aswell, after I had finished everything else...
I still want to try it..
Old 09-11-2005, 02:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS1pilot
Anyway, I was poking around up under the fender and noticed that the inner-fender has a tunnel running from around the hood bracket support down toward the front of the car where there is a round hole in the inner-fender which leads to the same area used in the mod above!!....amazingly like a cable chase for the exact wiring in question!!
Interesting. Got any pics of this? You also mentioned the weatherpak connectors would have to be moved by the battery in order to (potentially) use this....?
Old 09-12-2005, 08:38 PM
Staging Lane

No pix.....but just take the plastic inner fender out and feel around toward the front of the area covered by the inner fender. You will find a hole and an enclosed tunnel running back toward the hood mount beside the computer. Just looking at this and visualizing it says that someone could drill a small hole around the hood hindge mount and run the wires through the tunnel and then out the same area as this mod. BUT....the weatherpak connectors in-line would end up inside the tunnel so you would have to lengthen the wires from the computer side, long enough to make the weatherpak connections beside the battery or in front of the battery where they would be hidden below the headlights. It would be against the spirit of this mod to have the weatherpak connectors shortened to plug in closer to the computer since we are trying to hide all that cablage...
Old 09-13-2005, 05:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS1pilot
It would be against the spirit of this mod to have the weatherpak connectors shortened to plug in closer to the computer since we are trying to hide all that cablage...
Ah, I get it. If I spend the next few weekends poking around in there, I'm blaming you.

Quick Reply: Completed Wire Mod: Tutorial Inside