Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Where to drill holes in clear corner to prevent fog and blowing blubs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Where to drill holes in clear corner to prevent fog and blowing blubs?

This is my 3rd set of CC's that seems to always have the driver side fog up from water getting in and blowing blubs. I remember reading a long time ago that you drill small holes but where? Can someone show me a picture where to drill or detailed instuctions on where?

Thanks

Old 01-28-2005, 10:31 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I drilled 3 small holes on the bottom side, close to the end. When I say end I mean If your looking at the lense its the end that would be closest to your grill. Does that make sense? I did mine here because they kinda point down at this point. So that way the water would be in the low end which is where the holes are. Sorry if this dosent make any sense, But I hope this helps.

Vann
Old 01-28-2005, 02:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol, dont drill holes, u gotta just seal up the lights, drilling holes will make condensation worse.
Old 01-28-2005, 03:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ultraz
lol, dont drill holes, u gotta just seal up the lights, drilling holes will make condensation worse.
I havent any condensation in my lights at all. I tried sealing the them also, but that didnt work....
Old 01-28-2005, 03:50 PM
Staging Lane

actually, i drilled mine and i got to say that the holes give you no problem with codensation.

i guess i didnt do as good of a job sealing the passenger side clear corner cause that one did get water in it , but the holes i drilled have kept me from blowing bulbs.

i did take a pic cause i knew a couple people here wanted to see, however im not sure how to post them so if u want to see the pic just pm me your e-mail address and ill sent it to you
Old 01-28-2005, 05:25 PM
TECH Addict

i think condensation gets in from the bulb seals too. i sealed the edges of my lenses with silicone, and they still got water in. so i think it might get in from the back where the bulbs come thru. not much to do with that.
Old 01-28-2005, 05:43 PM
TECH Resident

ok, heres the thing, lets say when u drill the holes there is no condensation because there is no temperature difference. But by making the hole, ur creating the perfect atmosphere for foggy lenses and it will be impossible to clean. Youll see, after a while they will turn a greenish color and theyll have to be replaced.
Old 01-28-2005, 07:04 PM

use silicone around all the openeing and theyll be sealed, did this on my 2nd set and havent had a problem since! just my .02
Old 01-29-2005, 03:08 AM
TECH Resident

thank everyone so much for this thread. I was going to make an identical one. My drivers side corner does the same thing so i bought a new pair and sealed them and they still leaked! So im guessing drilling holes in it would make a diff. Thanks!
Old 01-29-2005, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks guys
I might drill them and seal them

Originally Posted by MyKeE
actually, i drilled mine and i got to say that the holes give you no problem with codensation.

i guess i didnt do as good of a job sealing the passenger side clear corner cause that one did get water in it , but the holes i drilled have kept me from blowing bulbs.

i did take a pic cause i knew a couple people here wanted to see, however im not sure how to post them so if u want to see the pic just pm me your e-mail address and ill sent it to you
wicked2001ss@yahoo.com
Old 01-29-2005, 11:26 AM
TECH Veteran

I drilled 6 total.....3 on the bottom and 3 on the top.....that way water can "drain" and fog can rise out.......
Old 01-29-2005, 03:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2001CamaroGuy
I drilled 6 total.....3 on the bottom and 3 on the top.....that way water can "drain" and fog can rise out.......
How long have you had them like this? I think that might be the answer. My next set I will try this.
Old 01-29-2005, 03:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ZR2877
How long have you had them like this? I think that might be the answer. My next set I will try this.

years............I had my first set of clear corners on my car the day after it came off the lot (back in 01)....I drilled the holes in a few months later as I noticed the "water problem"......ran them for about 3 years without any problems but finally had to replace them because I put too "hot" of a bulb in and it melted the part where the socket clips in........got another set and drilled them the same way (I now use LED bulbs so I won't melt things........ )......been on for about a year now and not a problem....
Old 01-29-2005, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Maybe i'll have to try this on my new set that i'm getting and this will help me out
Thanx BTLFEDSS
Old 01-29-2005, 04:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BTLFEDSS
Maybe i'll have to try this on my new set that i'm getting and this will help me out
Thanx BTLFEDSS

well it will at a min keep from blowing out bulbs.......that water sits in there and finally hits a hot bulb......BOOOMMMMMMM...cleaned glass out of mine a few times before I figured out the problem.....
Old 01-29-2005, 05:31 PM
Staging Lane

WICKED SS...pic sent, hope it helps
nineteen_seventy...Pic sent
mine only has 3 on the bottom cuz i would think drilling holes on top would defeat the purpose of trying to seal them cuz you'll be letting water in through the top. where as through the bottom water wont get in just drain out.

...but i guess if it works for 2001CamaroGuy then which ever one u choose to do would be o.k.

Last edited by MyKeE; 01-29-2005 at 05:43 PM.
Old 01-29-2005, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

The lights should be completely sealed, No factory lights come with drain holes and for good reason.

Do not drill holes in your lights guys.
Old 01-29-2005, 11:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

[QUOTE=MyKeE]WICKED SS...pic sent, hope it helps
nineteen_seventy...Pic sent
mine only has 3 on the bottom cuz i would think drilling holes on top would defeat the purpose of trying to seal them cuz you'll be letting water in through the top. where as through the bottom water wont get in just drain out.

LOL, Condensation will enter from any direction.
Old 01-29-2005, 11:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Jeremiah
The lights should be completely sealed, No factory lights come with drain holes and for good reason.

Do not drill holes in your lights guys.

yeah....they SHOULD be sealed but good luck.....I have yet to see a single light (factory or aftermarket) that didn't develope cracks/leakes/etc. that let water and condesation in.....once in its a PITA to get out without some holes to air/drain out.....
Old 01-30-2005, 01:14 AM
Staging Lane

i wasn't talking about condensation. when u wash ur car,rainy day, water will get in as well...

...yes, the lights should be sealed but as most here will tell you, most clear corners usually aren't. water gets in and if u dont have a way for it to drain out, then... bye bye bulb.

drilling holes on the top would only help the water to get in, therefore my saying of just holes on the bottom.

Quick Reply: Where to drill holes in clear corner to prevent fog and blowing blubs?