Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Best way to install Gauge in air vent.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 10:24 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to install Gauge in air vent.

Just got the autometer Pro-comp tranny temp gauge 2 5/8 and didnt know the best way to install it.
Thanks
Old 02-17-2005, 12:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

I haven't found a good write up about this either, and I searched..
TTT
Old 10-04-2005, 12:31 PM
Teching In

Have you found anything or have you installed yours yet? I am planning on puting my A/F gauge in this weekend any tips or things I should look out for? thanks.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:44 PM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

http://www.black98.cz28.com/photo6.html

Easy to follow and it works like a charm. I grounded to an existing ground point just under the dash behind the kick panel. Sender wire went through the trans tunnel with the supplied grommet and into the transmission. I got power from the fuse box as the write up has it. Left the cardboard ring on with some electrical tape to secure it and just popped it in the vent.

Old 10-04-2005, 03:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How do you get the vents out without breaking them ?
Old 10-04-2005, 05:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Luna
That's what I want to know too
Old 10-05-2005, 04:02 AM
TECH Addict

OK, now does anyone have a writeup on how they installed 2-1/16" gauges in the vents? Some of the gauges I have to install only come in the 2-1/16" size. I'm assuming you have to make some sort of bezel (or maybe there is one out there already that works) to take up the xtra space around the gauge?

TIA,
-Jay-
Old 10-31-2005, 04:50 PM
TECH Resident

Ditto on the above questions for adapting to use 2 1/16 gauges and on removing the vent vanes...

Anyone?
Old 01-10-2006, 12:24 PM
TECH Resident

OK, here's the answer to my own question. In a TA, you can just take the pliers or needlenose and snap the small directional vanes off. Now you're left with the main body of the piece with one molded bar across the center. Bend a hangar into a sharp hook and use it to disengage the two tabs that are opposite each other a couple of inches into the vent. This allows you to pull the "directional insert" out without ruining anything. Next, Dremel out the middle bar and polish the nubs you've created on the insert.

I then went to my trusty bench full of assorted debris, and settled on speaker wire as my filler for the gauge install (I'm more for expedience than perfection). Try a few different sizes/colors to see what you like and what fits snugly... if you cut very carefully you can create a perfect ring around the 2 1/16" gauge body. On Autometer gauges, this is right behind the larger diameter front bezel. The plastic insulation on the wire compresses just enough to allow a nice snug fit for the gauge inside the vent insert that you removed, and you can then wire it up and install the entire assembly with a nice "snap".

Good luck with this...
Old 01-10-2006, 12:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RW99
OK, here's the answer to my own question. In a TA, you can just take the pliers or needlenose and snap the small directional vanes off. Now you're left with the main body of the piece with one molded bar across the center. Bend a hangar into a sharp hook and use it to disengage the two tabs that are opposite each other a couple of inches into the vent. This allows you to pull the "directional insert" out without ruining anything. Next, Dremel out the middle bar and polish the nubs you've created on the insert.

I then went to my trusty bench full of assorted debris, and settled on speaker wire as my filler for the gauge install (I'm more for expedience than perfection). Try a few different sizes/colors to see what you like and what fits snugly... if you cut very carefully you can create a perfect ring around the 2 1/16" gauge body. On Autometer gauges, this is right behind the larger diameter front bezel. The plastic insulation on the wire compresses just enough to allow a nice snug fit for the gauge inside the vent insert that you removed, and you can then wire it up and install the entire assembly with a nice "snap".

Good luck with this...
Pics?
Old 01-11-2006, 01:01 PM
TECH Resident

Didn't take any, sorry. One tip is to look for wire that is heavily insulated, since that's what allows the compression that keeps the whole thing together without having to use any glue. That also means that you can gently pull the gauge itself out once the whole thing is installed, should you need to get to the wires, etc.
Old 01-11-2006, 06:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Luna
Just like porcupines make love.....verrry carefully. I broke the first one, but the others came out easier after I saw how they were held in place.

Quick Reply: Best way to install Gauge in air vent.