Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Foggy Headlight polishing

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006 | 04:08 PM
TECH Resident

Default Foggy Headlight polishing

Ok, I've got a few random Q's about polishing and defogging my headlights on my camaro. Yes I've already read the sticky on this and it pointed me in the right direction so I already know all that stuff

Here's my Q's: Can I wet sand the headlights while there still on the car? Do I need to do just the outside of the headlights or inside and outside?

What kind of polish should I use once I've wet sanded? A buddy of mine said use nail polish. Any one else have an effective technique for polishing them out? Any help on any of these Q's would be very helpful
Old 01-05-2006 | 04:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Polish the outside of the lens (the part that the sun/rain/snow/dirt) gets on.

Take them out, its 2 bolts to get the assembly out. And it takes some time to wetsand, its not a 30 min job.

Use any plastic polish. The one that is linked in that sticky is the best that I have seen. If you dont want to order online, I'm sure other plastic polishes would work as well.
Old 01-05-2006 | 04:58 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Zymosis
Polish the outside of the lens (the part that the sun/rain/snow/dirt) gets on.

Take them out, its 2 bolts to get the assembly out. And it takes some time to wetsand, its not a 30 min job.

Use any plastic polish. The one that is linked in that sticky is the best that I have seen. If you dont want to order online, I'm sure other plastic polishes would work as well.

cool thanks, where can I buy that plastic polish? Not the stuff online, but from a store?
Old 01-05-2006 | 08:27 PM
TECH Resident

anyone else 2 cents?....
Old 01-05-2006 | 11:38 PM
TECH Addict

there's a sticky at the top!!!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/157192-fixed-my-yellow-cracked-headlight-today-pics.html
Old 01-06-2006 | 12:12 AM
12 Second Club

There's a kit that sells at most auto dealerships for about $30 that is pretty good. My g/f's lights on her Civic were very bad and we used this kit. It came with some sandpaper too just in case you needed to wetsand (and we did). It was about 1000 grit, maybe higher. I didn't have to take the lights out or anything and they came out beautiful. You would probably be ok simply buying some super fine grit sandpaper (1000-2000 grit) and wet sanding and polishing them. It is very easy, unlike someone stated above it could probably be done in 30 minutes, maybe less if you're good.
Old 01-06-2006 | 04:21 PM
TECH Regular

Just recently did mine a few weeks ago...I would start wetsanding w/ about 2000 then finish w/ at least 2500, and we just used some old plastic polish that he had. I would say anything from a car parts store would do the job sufficiently

Trending Topics

Old 01-06-2006 | 07:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

you can also use some paint polisher, dimond cutter polish, kinda red/pinkish in a bottle, that you get a buffer and buff it with, i used some of that, now it has clear coat buffin stuff on it, i did the inside....and regret it ALOT of work to make it clear. it not clear like i would like it cuss my lense it shity, but at least you can see threw it now...i just goin to end up puttin some transparent black clear coat on there to tint them dark enough to not notice the imperfections.
Old 01-06-2006 | 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Any fine paint polishing compound works great, you dont need plastic specific compound so save your money. Also, no need to use anything finer than 1500 wet, the plastic polishes so easy it takes no effort. The protective film to aid against rock chips ect. is what you need to remove, it takes some effort but not to big of a job.

Quick Reply: Foggy Headlight polishing