Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
View Poll Results: Would you like for your car to look like a 2002 Dick Harrell Camaro?
Hell yes!
80.30%
No, that would be ripping off the design of the Dick Harrell supercar.
19.70%
Voters: 396. You may not vote on this poll

Would you like for your car to look like a Dick Harrell Camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 01:40 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Original ZL1's had the 427 standard but the new ones were just an LS6 unless you ponied up for the big motor. Matt Berger did say the 600 HP 427 was more of a race car motor than a street car motor. He said his hugger orange ZL1 is a beast on the street and not that much fun to drive. I'm not sure what he ended up going with in his DH car. I haven't seen it in it's finished state with the hood up.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:04 PM
grb
TECH Fanatic

The same guy that was given the original '69 ZL1 which was #51 built the 427 in my #51. That's why I wanted #51 and why I want a 427 in it. And actually it's not a fun car on the street. The noise (solid roller and other engine noise), exhaust, big cam, Pilot Sport Cups, no A/C and hard clutch get old real fast. 8 MPG ain't a plus either!
Old 05-25-2006, 01:07 PM
Banned

HELLS YEH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-25-2006, 05:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

So any updates or progess on the Widebody kit?
Old 05-25-2006, 05:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Devylyst
So any updates or progess on the Widebody kit?
DO OUT ABOUT THE SAME TIME PS3?????? WHO KNOWS???
Old 05-30-2006, 09:12 PM
TECH Regular

gegrfgrhr
Old 06-01-2006, 12:51 PM
SSU Moderator

Surely you havent given up on this? Progress? Updates? Admit that I was right?
Old 06-01-2006, 05:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was thinking of making this kit for myself as well. If you look up my posts, there have been MANY asking about the fenders, about flaring the fenders and asking sponsors like VFN to make the kits as well.

I say go for it.

I finally have decided to put the wide body portion of the project on the back burner (for the time being) as I have taken way too long to get this far. I will finish my conversion, and paint it then as a "Phase 2", come back and change the body.

I have a connections with many Wheel manufacturers and I was going to have custom wheels made rather than buying the 18x12 fiske wheels that come on the DH cars, as I could get them made cheaper than buying the set of Fiskes. Not to mention design my own wheel too.

I think there will be some issues around the gas door as the flaring starts around that area.

I didnt care for cowel hoods before running into the DH car. THe DH car (and sunoco and VFN) hood is a less high (2.5 inch rather than 4 inch) hood and is more rounded rather than sharp as other cowel hoods are. It definatley compliments the wide fenders.

I love the front bumper, hood and fenders but I'd personally go with a little more subtle tail (same 1st, 2nd & 3rd gen Z28 style, just not as high). I think RK Sports offers one not so high/tall.

For those of you that don't know, the DH Berger Super Car is a 427 Camaro with a 12 bolt rear, roll cage, 18x10 F, 18x12 R Fiske wheels, Michelin Pilot tires, GMMG exhaust and 600+hp (from the dealer).

I think it was Chevy High Performance magazine that did an article on it about a year ro two ago (I have it at home), which even shows them claying the hood, fenders and bumper. Dustin I'd love a copy fo those pics taht were sent to you ( dmcafee@pacbell.net )

Here's a video clip of one.
http://video.ls1tech.com/Player.aspx...F60C&kw=48&p=5

Here are some more pics of the DH Camaro.
Attached Thumbnails Would you like for your car to look like a Dick Harrell Camaro?-dhbunch.jpg   Would you like for your car to look like a Dick Harrell Camaro?-5.jpg   Would you like for your car to look like a Dick Harrell Camaro?-19.jpg   Would you like for your car to look like a Dick Harrell Camaro?-17.jpg  
Old 06-01-2006, 05:31 PM
grb
TECH Fanatic

Actually the DH Berger SC comes with a slightly modified LS6 and the roll cage and 12 bolt are extra cost options.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RyanJ
Surely you havent given up on this? Progress? Updates? Admit that I was right?
Haha. Actually because of my job I just moved to Colorado and havent had time for anything....hell my car is still in Texas along with every tool I own. Im not sure when I will have time to start/finish any projects I had planned. Everything is on a big hold at the moment. Someone should pick up this idea and run with it, I wouldnt mind it at all. I would just hope they planned on doing everything the same way I was.
Old 06-02-2006, 05:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dammit Dustin, no excuses will be tolerated lol
Old 06-05-2006, 01:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Personally I love everything about the car, the only problem I see with getting this kit built is the sheer amount it will cost to make the car look right, after buying the kit. Say the kit comes to the door, you get it successfully mounted in your driveway, swap out the bumpers, fenders, get the rear 1/4's on, and that awesome spoiler (i love the thing, just wish it was molded on). Next the car has to go get prepped and painted ~$2500. Now the larger problem? Your once awesome looking wheels now sit 2-3 inches inside the rear fenders, and not so drastically on the front, new wide wheels with the correct offset ~$3500. Now maybe you could get a rear end from a truck or something and have it adjusted to the correct length to make up for the additional 5 or so inches the car is now wider. But that is $6000 in cost after buying th kit. It would be awesome if it was done correctly, but I just wonder how many people can swing that, and with you, Dustin, being able to recoupe your losses.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:56 PM
grb
TECH Fanatic

Wheels are nooooooooooo problem. He's designing his own.....and for less the Fikses. Also, who wouldn't mind spending $10 or $20K on a 5 year old car when you could get a like new Vette for the same money??
Old 06-05-2006, 09:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by grb
Wheels are nooooooooooo problem. He's designing his own.....and for less the Fikses. Also, who wouldn't mind spending $10 or $20K on a 5 year old car when you could get a like new Vette for the same money??
So far the whole project has cost me about $13000 and thats including the car. I worked for a CNC manufacturer for 10 years (and a different one for 5 years before that), so many things that I have bought were hook ups well below the price that others pay as a "thank you" for great service. I always made a point to give great customer service, but especially so with companies that make F body parts.

I was looking a spending about $1200-$1500 for a set of custom wheels made. It would be even cheaper if I was trying to make a common size wheel rather than 18x12 or 19x13. I can't say who would be making them just as I cant say which companies have given me discounts. Forget Fiske wheels being more expensive, the damn tires would cost more than the wheels (Don't have a connection for cheap Goodyears, other than Tire Rack ).

Most of these deals were/are one time deals, so unfortunatley I can't hook up fellow LS1Tech Members (If I could, I would). My hookups also mean slower times than normal (Cheap, fast, right: pick any two) as they were doing me favors.

My car was paid off long ago, and my performance parts have all been purchased here an there with eBay money, so buying a Vette (two seater) would be bitchen, but not the insurance or car payments.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm just going to throw this out here. Since there has been so much attention on the rear fenders and then how much it would cost for just that (body panels, paint, rims, etc...). I saw a very neat car with a narrowed rear end and custom rear rims for the new offset. It has a similar draw dropping effect and I'm sure it would be cheaper to do. Just narrow the stock rear end and get 2 new rims. This car also has mini tubs, but is only running 315's, so I doubt you would need to tub it.
Check this out.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/547313

It's something to consider at least.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:32 PM
SSU Moderator

That car was for sale a while back.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

http://www.kleverblogs.com/dsmcclint...2000%20ZL1.jpg

Dustin, have you thought of making this fender flare. I know I'd want one. Its not a huge flare but still serves its purpose of covering serious meats. I know i'm not the only camaro owner who would jump on this
Old 06-09-2006, 05:59 PM
12 Second Club

U Make It I Buy It...
Old 06-09-2006, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wouldnt waste my time with ZL1 style flares unles they were bigger or more flared. You really dont notice them until your up close to the car.
Old 06-11-2006, 12:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ROCNDAV
I was thinking of making this kit for myself as well. If you look up my posts, there have been MANY asking about the fenders, about flaring the fenders and asking sponsors like VFN to make the kits as well.

I say go for it.

I finally have decided to put the wide body portion of the project on the back burner (for the time being) as I have taken way too long to get this far. I will finish my conversion, and paint it then as a "Phase 2", come back and change the body.

I have a connections with many Wheel manufacturers and I was going to have custom wheels made rather than buying the 18x12 fiske wheels that come on the DH cars, as I could get them made cheaper than buying the set of Fiskes. Not to mention design my own wheel too.

I think there will be some issues around the gas door as the flaring starts around that area.

I didnt care for cowel hoods before running into the DH car. THe DH car (and sunoco and VFN) hood is a less high (2.5 inch rather than 4 inch) hood and is more rounded rather than sharp as other cowel hoods are. It definatley compliments the wide fenders.

I love the front bumper, hood and fenders but I'd personally go with a little more subtle tail (same 1st, 2nd & 3rd gen Z28 style, just not as high). I think RK Sports offers one not so high/tall.

For those of you that don't know, the DH Berger Super Car is a 427 Camaro with a 12 bolt rear, roll cage, 18x10 F, 18x12 R Fiske wheels, Michelin Pilot tires, GMMG exhaust and 600+hp (from the dealer).

I think it was Chevy High Performance magazine that did an article on it about a year ro two ago (I have it at home), which even shows them claying the hood, fenders and bumper. Dustin I'd love a copy fo those pics taht were sent to you ( dmcafee@pacbell.net )

Here's a video clip of one.
http://video.ls1tech.com/Player.aspx...F60C&kw=48&p=5

Here are some more pics of the DH Camaro.
that car deserves and wants to be driven. I hate seeing cars like that garaged. Its disrespectful to hide that stuff from ppl imo. for the car and the ppl missing out.

that being said, DO IT dustin. I'd buy it if I had $$$

Quick Reply: Would you like for your car to look like a Dick Harrell Camaro?