Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
View Poll Results: Would you like for your car to look like a 2002 Dick Harrell Camaro?
Hell yes!
80.30%
No, that would be ripping off the design of the Dick Harrell supercar.
19.70%
Voters: 396. You may not vote on this poll

Would you like for your car to look like a Dick Harrell Camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 09:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts

If it costs about the same as a regular body kit, I would buy the rear fenders. I would prefer to pay for a complete fender than a fibreglass bolt on kit that a body shop would have to blend and paint.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:56 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dustin
PM sent.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:05 PM
Launching!

I'd take the quarter panels and the fenders. Those look sexy. But other than that I wouldn't want anything else from it on my car.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dustin, got some in progess pics of a DH being made where the fenders are on unpainted. Let me know if you want them
Old 04-20-2006, 02:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

actually couldnt you use thoes fenders on a t/a as well ? i think the fenders on camaros/tas are identical
Old 04-20-2006, 02:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Devylyst
Dustin, got some in progess pics of a DH being made where the fenders are on unpainted. Let me know if you want them
send em!!! meanjeanez28@yahoo.com
Old 04-20-2006, 02:51 PM
SSU Moderator

Ok, Im on page two and I'm going to stop reading. I just had a nice realization that most of you need to have. THIS WILL NEVER HAPPEN.

First of all, to justify the time and $ you'll put in to molds and supplys for molds, and broken or fucked up molds wont begin to get into the black until you sell several kits. The Harrell look is not the type of look that you see 80-90% of owners wanting. Say 50% of all Camaro-owning member of this site (no way in hell) like the car...you won't get 20% of them to buy the kit. Without doing the math, I say you're in a losing situation from a business perspective. Now, if you wanted to do this just to break even, MAYBE it can be done. But you better line up customers and get a big 'ol loan pretty quick. This whole proposition will get even worse if you think you're gonna get a chunk of deposit money from buyers and work off of that. That's failure waiting to happen.

All of you...think about it. Who comes to market with big ideas and actually completes them? Established companies...that's who. Sure, anyone can make side-gig money selling small parts and **** like that (BAD-Z, Brent F., etc.) and hopefully they get big enough (or have gotten big enough) to do that full time. However, remember PhamSpeed with the while fixed headlight deal or hit POS turbo kits? Incon? Numerous other turbo kit manufacturers and engine builders in fact. Its even harder to do this with an industry like body kits or body mods. Essentially, the setup costs are TOO HIGH for Joe Blow to start doing the stuff and hope it works.

Besides, if you were smart, you wouldnt be marketing a copy kit, you'd design something LIKE the Sunoco stuff but turned down 20% or so. See W2W's GTO for a good example of functional, subtle, and nice body mods.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:02 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 00firebird
actually couldnt you use thoes fenders on a t/a as well ? i think the fenders on camaros/tas are identical
Nope totally different... MAYBE you could use the rear if it were just and add on to the existing quarter (like the DH actually is).
Old 04-20-2006, 03:54 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RyanJ
Ok, Im on page two and I'm going to stop reading. I just had a nice realization that most of you need to have. THIS WILL NEVER HAPPEN.

First of all, to justify the time and $ you'll put in to molds and supplys for molds, and broken or fucked up molds wont begin to get into the black until you sell several kits. The Harrell look is not the type of look that you see 80-90% of owners wanting. Say 50% of all Camaro-owning member of this site (no way in hell) like the car...you won't get 20% of them to buy the kit. Without doing the math, I say you're in a losing situation from a business perspective. Now, if you wanted to do this just to break even, MAYBE it can be done. But you better line up customers and get a big 'ol loan pretty quick. This whole proposition will get even worse if you think you're gonna get a chunk of deposit money from buyers and work off of that. That's failure waiting to happen.

All of you...think about it. Who comes to market with big ideas and actually completes them? Established companies...that's who. Sure, anyone can make side-gig money selling small parts and **** like that (BAD-Z, Brent F., etc.) and hopefully they get big enough (or have gotten big enough) to do that full time. However, remember PhamSpeed with the while fixed headlight deal or hit POS turbo kits? Incon? Numerous other turbo kit manufacturers and engine builders in fact. Its even harder to do this with an industry like body kits or body mods. Essentially, the setup costs are TOO HIGH for Joe Blow to start doing the stuff and hope it works.

Besides, if you were smart, you wouldnt be marketing a copy kit, you'd design something LIKE the Sunoco stuff but turned down 20% or so. See W2W's GTO for a good example of functional, subtle, and nice body mods.
You talk like you know me and my funds, lol. The money isnt a problem...let me say that. We have one business that pays the bills, puts food on the table and provides entertainment funds. This operation that we are wanting to start up is to be a kit car business, the DH mod would only be a small part of it and if we lose out on it that wouldnt be a problem, as long we get the self satisfaction of accomplishing the kit, thats all that matters. I am not looking to make a killing of a body kit, nor get rich. I could sell no kits and I wouldnt give a ****. Nuff said. Besides we have already had a small business fail so to speak so its been learned from.
Old 04-20-2006, 04:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

How do you say all this when you don't even know the guy? How do you think any type of specialty fbod or kit is every made? Someone starts it and usually looses money from the start. How do you think DH started it?
Old 04-20-2006, 04:43 PM
SSU Moderator

Do you REALLY think that GMMG lost money making those "kits." No, I dont think so. A large profitable company like that has capital to spend for that kind of development and makes it back 5-fold when the cars are sold at 100k. You don't think that body kit was made by some dude at his house do you? The mold was created from a member of this website's car (he works at GMMG). GM created the Sunoco car. W2W custom built the fenders on the GTO. See a trend here?

Nothing against any member of this site, but $ is $ and it takes a lot to do this kind of custom body work....especially high-quality stuff. How long have the hood-makers lasted? Exactly. Didnt that guy that made the WS9 **** stop messing w/ F-bodies and return to another type of car?

I still think its a losing venture. I mean, there's a set # of F-bodies out there. Now, supplement with panels for Mustangs and Corvettes and I could see the business going somewhere, but I don't personally see the point of spending tons on molds to sell 15 panels unless, like you say, you just want the satisfaction of it all. In that case, more power to ya. But I have to say the way you approached the situation is what leaves the bad taste in my mouth...I've seen it 100 times on this site. Why don't you build molds for your car, and see how much that actually cost, then test, re-build, re-test, and re-install and so on. THEN, you have a product. THEN I can see you viably posting on the board.

But hey...opinions are like ********, right?
Old 04-20-2006, 04:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I dont see a problem making a car a clone of something else just as long as when somebody asks you if its the real deal you tell them the truth. so thats my opinion.

-john

oh and i want some
Old 04-20-2006, 05:29 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't you love people who are like, "Well, I don't want to take the time to read but I am going to give my opinion anyways..."
Old 04-20-2006, 05:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dustin
Email sent!
Old 04-20-2006, 06:50 PM
TECH Addict

Do you REALLY think that GMMG lost money making those "kits." No, I dont think so. A large profitable company like that has capital to spend for that kind of development and makes it back 5-fold when the cars are sold at 100k. You don't think that body kit was made by some dude at his house do you? The mold was created from a member of this website's car (he works at GMMG). GM created the Sunoco car. W2W custom built the fenders on the GTO. See a trend here?

Nothing against any member of this site, but $ is $ and it takes a lot to do this kind of custom body work....especially high-quality stuff. How long have the hood-makers lasted? Exactly. Didnt that guy that made the WS9 **** stop messing w/ F-bodies and return to another type of car?

I still think its a losing venture. I mean, there's a set # of F-bodies out there. Now, supplement with panels for Mustangs and Corvettes and I could see the business going somewhere, but I don't personally see the point of spending tons on molds to sell 15 panels unless, like you say, you just want the satisfaction of it all. In that case, more power to ya. But I have to say the way you approached the situation is what leaves the bad taste in my mouth...I've seen it 100 times on this site. Why don't you build molds for your car, and see how much that actually cost, then test, re-build, re-test, and re-install and so on. THEN, you have a product. THEN I can see you viably posting on the board.

But hey...opinions are like ********, right?
Uhh I am making the molds myself. Everything will be done by me and my partner, no one and I mean no one will have their hand in this.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:33 PM
formerly mystic-t/a (changed 02/05/2013)

Originally Posted by DEMONBIRD
Don't you love people who are like, "Well, I don't want to take the time to read but I am going to give my opinion anyways..."
Well there is a crap load of pages that dont really have a lot of actual info you can use. And the guy is talking some sense. I know that it is very hard to hear what he is saying if you are the guy wanting to do this, trust me, I have come up with I dont know how many ideas and my dad would try to talk sense into me and half the time I would go through with it and fail every time. I didn't want to listen to him and always made up excuses, saying it will work, it will, I can make it work, I'm better, blah, blah, but the truth is he was right and there is a reason why it isn't already being done. Luckly I'm still young, so it doesn't matter much. Just try to take his advise and think about it and if you agree, it doesn't mean your giving in or that you lost.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:50 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mystic-t/a
Well there is a crap load of pages that dont really have a lot of actual info you can use. And the guy is talking some sense. I know that it is very hard to hear what he is saying if you are the guy wanting to do this, trust me, I have come up with I dont know how many ideas and my dad would try to talk sense into me and half the time I would go through with it and fail every time. I didn't want to listen to him and always made up excuses, saying it will work, it will, I can make it work, I'm better, blah, blah, but the truth is he was right and there is a reason why it isn't already being done. Luckly I'm still young, so it doesn't matter much. Just try to take his advise and think about it and if you agree, it doesn't mean your giving in or that you lost.
The advice he is giving does not pertain to my situation. Im not saying he is wrong or I am destined to fail, Im just saying the route I am going will work in my favor.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

cool, interesting kit, think it would be pricy,
Old 04-20-2006, 08:00 PM
formerly mystic-t/a (changed 02/05/2013)

Originally Posted by Dustin
The advice he is giving does not pertain to my situation. Im not saying he is wrong or I am destined to fail, Im just saying the route I am going will work in my favor.
Well then good luck to you and keep us posted.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:20 PM
Banned

I think it will work.

Hell I'm one of the little guys putting together a side business selling high quality coil relo-kits, !wire kits, chrome/polished engine parts, carbon fiber stuff, and more! Re-invest all money made into new product developement and more marketing (national mags) it can only be a rewarding venture in the end. If you like doing it, and are proud of what you sell, it's that much sweeter when you succeed.

Dustin, it obviously can be done and if you have a rolling chassis and lots of fiberglass resin, sanding blocks, air jitter bugs, and willpower and attention to detail like I do... then you will finish what you start.

Quick Reply: Would you like for your car to look like a Dick Harrell Camaro?