Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
View Poll Results: Would you like for your car to look like a 2002 Dick Harrell Camaro?
Hell yes!
80.30%
No, that would be ripping off the design of the Dick Harrell supercar.
19.70%
Voters: 396. You may not vote on this poll

Would you like for your car to look like a Dick Harrell Camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 07:24 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dustin
THANK YOU!!! Gomaro you need to go back and read my last few posts as I know you didnt. The rears obviously cant be bolted on. Some of you guys act like its not possible to make something like this, like only the people at GMMG are capable of this. Bullshit! With the skills and experience we will succeed.
Yeah, this $hit isn't rocket science... just takes a lot of man hours to make it nice.

I "helped" (basically sat around and bull$hitted) my friend Chris (Whistler) while he did this in his garage:

Flared rear fenders, Custom hand laid and made Carbon Fiber hood (which Harwood later copied), TARGA TOP (w/ carbon fiber top), and extended front bumper (notice how big the opening is) with lip from a C5 grafted on...
Old 04-24-2006, 08:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I voted no because I wouldn't buy it but it is sweet. I don't see the front lip everyone is talking about but the fenders are fire. I don't know who Dick Harell is but aren't the rear fenders of the 60 something SS similar to those except they have brake vents? The spoiler does not fit the body shape of our generation but it looks nice on the original ones.

I hope I don't sound like a hater but I just wouldn't buy a body kit-I live in Boston=shitty roads. If there is a demand go for it man.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:18 PM
On The Tree

I'm all for it, Dustin. I love the look of the cars, and hope that it isn't as amazingly difficult as everyone seems to be trying to make it out to be.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:39 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

You guys totally missed what I was saying. I'm not trying to slam GMMG or anybody, but it sounds like some people are trying to strong arm a guy who just wants to try to produce something for camaro's that was 'inspired' by the DH Camaro.

Just as stated earlier, proving copyright infringment is very difficult to do. The copyright that they have probably is for using the words "DICK HARRELL", etc. and using images of the cars to market, sell or publish anything. It would be a different story if he bought a car and used it as a template, but that's not what he's doing.

Man, why is there so much hate here.... I don't get it. Look at the mustang crowd, there are a lot of knock-off Saleen products but you don't hear about lawsuits or anything.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I WANNA SEE SOME RESULTS !!!!!!!!!!!!! DUSTIN what's the word on progress??
Old 04-27-2006, 04:33 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by CULATR
I WANNA SEE SOME RESULTS !!!!!!!!!!!!! DUSTIN what's the word on progress??

Mee tooo

Where U at on this?
Old 04-27-2006, 04:52 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FIREHAWK#608
I want to know who this jerk-off is.

I'm a member of 3 sites. Excuse me for showing a picture of my car! What have you done in your 40 posts and 0 trader rating to help people? You seem like a jealous little ***** to say those things when you have no idea what I stand for in the LS1 community.

You obviously don't know what kind of horsepower my engine makes eighter. You just put something worse than your foot in your mouth.
I'm a member of 3 sites. Excuse me for showing a picture of my car! What have you done in your 40 posts and 0 trader rating to help people? You seem like a jealous little ***** to say those things when you have no idea what I stand for in the LS1 community.

Well, I only have 100+ posts since 2003, so I guess that make my opinion worthless too?
Not sure how much I've done to help either since I don't visit here that often (not enough new traffic to keep my interest and a LOT of redundancy). Attitudes like these are another reason I don't come in that often.

I've tried to answer a few legal type ??'s and toss in my $.02 on topics like this. I haven't "produced or polished ****" so again, I guess I'm not worthy.

I know a LOT of people that are very well versed in the subject of the LS1 and F-body/vette. They "lurk" and don't spend a lot of time in front of the computer. Instead, they're in the shops getting things done.
Don't be so quick to judge someone over a "post count". Might bite you in the ***

So....what DO you stand for in the "community?" Guess I missed the announcement too. Are you a supporting vendor on any of those sites? Just curious?

FWIW, your car pics are nice BTW, how much HP does the polish add? (JFWY) of course, but do you see how invalid the arguement is? One persons "rice" is anothers treasure. There are those that feel if it doesn't add HP it has no place on the car...period!

Lets keep it nice peeps and focused on what the guys trying to do for us. After all, the F-body is rapidly becoming the bastard stepchild since it's stopped production, the pending introduction of the new Camaro and the latest Corvette offerings. It's nice to see someone offering something new and different at a price that the average user can afford. I personally can't afford 100k for a Camaro nor would I spend it for one if I had it (unless it was totally expendable income! and to augment a collection).

I'd buy a Geiger C6 first

Last edited by shadow; 04-27-2006 at 05:15 AM.
Old 04-27-2006, 02:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by shadow

Well, I only have 100+ posts since 2003, so I guess that make my opinion worthless too?
Not sure how much I've done to help either since I don't visit here that often (not enough new traffic to keep my interest and a LOT of redundancy). Attitudes like these are another reason I don't come in that often.

So....what DO you stand for in the "community?" Guess I missed the announcement too. Are you a supporting vendor on any of those sites? Just curious?

I'd buy a Geiger C6 first
I was arguing with a troll who was later banned that day. Please don't take things out of context. His character had much more behind it than lack of post count. I took time to crumble his cards.
Old 04-27-2006, 02:47 PM
On The Tree

Yes please!!!
Old 04-27-2006, 11:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RyanJ
Ok, Im on page two and I'm going to stop reading. I just had a nice realization that most of you need to have. THIS WILL NEVER HAPPEN.

Great! Another naysayer. Just what this community needs

First of all, to justify the time and $ you'll put in to molds and supplys for molds, and broken or fucked up molds wont begin to get into the black until you sell several kits.

Very likely right on the $$ there.

The Harrell look is not the type of look that you see 80-90% of owners wanting.

Had you bothered to read further and maybe do a little searching, you'd find that statement to be totally untrue! In fact, many have expressed an interest in these pieces. It seems GMMG/GM and the rest refuse to make/sell the parts separately. Instead they'd rather hit the owner for $100k+. Pretty much limits the availability to most. And I'm not paying that much for a Camaro! A little searching around would tell you that a lot of us WOULD like the kit if it were available.

the rest of the Say 50% of all Camaro-owning member of this site (no way in hell) like the car...you won't get 20% of them to buy the kit. Without doing the math, I say you're in a losing situation from a business perspective.

You may have a point there. But I think that was one of the reasons for putting this up!

Now, if you wanted to do this just to break even, MAYBE it can be done. But you better line up customers and get a big 'ol loan pretty quick. This whole proposition will get even worse if you think you're gonna get a chunk of deposit money from buyers and work off of that. That's failure waiting to happen.

All of you...think about it. Who comes to market with big ideas and actually completes them? Established companies...that's who. Sure, anyone can make side-gig money selling small parts and **** like that (BAD-Z, Brent F., etc.) and hopefully they get big enough (or have gotten big enough) to do that full time. However, remember PhamSpeed with the while fixed headlight deal or hit POS turbo kits? Incon? Numerous other turbo kit manufacturers and engine builders in fact. Its even harder to do this with an industry like body kits or body mods. Essentially, the setup costs are TOO HIGH for Joe Blow to start doing the stuff and hope it works.

Yep! Look at STS. They certainly went **** up in a hurry
Failure does happen. It's a risk of doing business. However, nothing ventured nothing gained. Research and preparation will fill in the voids and make things less prone to failure. Why is it, some people are just certain that others are incapable of success? After all, some one thought the idea up in the first place and brought it to fruition, why, because one isn't a "big company", can't a new idea or modification be acomplished? Are they smarter than every one else?

Dustin, as many have said, if you attempt a direct copy or name it after DH, Sunoco or?? you're prolly gonna get a letter. With a little modification and the right wording, you have nothing to fear. IF GMMG or the others are that concerned, then why don't they step up to the plate to meet the demand?? (I know, they don't want cheap, half assed kits on the market on 6 bangers, right? ) Again, another excuse.

Just make the damn thing and I' think you'll see the interest grow; however,as the above post mentions, watch your $$. It's easy to go bankrupt without proper planning.

Anyway, you're obviously onto something that a lot of the Camaro community appreciates.

Best of luck and keep us informed

Oh, and Firehawk. I wasn't taking anything out of context. It was a response to a direct quote and you response.

IDK why he was banned and it really doesn't matter. I've seen people get banned before simply because they've disagreed with someone. That means little to me.

This however:
I was arguing with a troll who was later banned that day. Please don't take things out of context. His character had much more behind it than lack of post count. I took time to crumble his cards.

Says much more. If he was truly a troll, why argue with him? Simply ignore him. Not sure how you "took time to crumble his cards" but whatever? I'll determine character for myself. So far, what I've seen out of some, leaves a lot to be desired
Old 04-29-2006, 01:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm not going to comment on the personal stuff in this thread.
I just want to focus on rear fenders.
My main question is if the stock fenders are to be removed or if the sheetmatal is to be cut out to accomidate the wider tires?
From what I can tell a replacement fender can be installed over the stock one, but in order to fit the tires further out, the stock sheetmetal has to be removed or else the tire will rub. Maybe it can be pulled out? Or slice it right above the tire going straight up, pull or hammer the fender metal out to make it wider and then weld in a pie shaped slice to make them strong and steady. Dents and such would be no big deal as the new panel will fit over and cover it.
I also don't see any reason you would need to replace the rear bumber cover. The stock one is ABS plastic and can be flexed quite a bit. In fact, I flexed the lower portion of my TA bumper cover out 1.5" to help cover my 315's. Do you really think a new one would be necessary? It will just add to the cost.
Old 04-29-2006, 05:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=JasonWW]I'm not going to comment on the personal stuff in this thread.
I just want to focus on rear fenders.
My main question is if the stock fenders are to be removed or if the sheetmatal is to be cut out to accomidate the wider tires?
From what I can tell a replacement fender can be installed over the stock one, but in order to fit the tires further out, the stock sheetmetal has to be removed or else the tire will rub. Maybe it can be pulled out? Or slice it right above the tire going straight up, pull or hammer the fender metal out to make it wider and then weld in a pie shaped slice to make them strong and steady. Dents and such would be no big deal as the new panel will fit over and cover it.
I also don't see any reason you would need to replace the rear bumber cover. The stock one is ABS plastic and can be flexed quite a bit. In fact, I flexed the lower portion of my TA bumper cover out 1.5" to help cover my 315's. Do you really think a new one would be necessary? It will just add to the cost.[/QUOTE
]

The stock fenders are cut and the new fenders are fiberglassed on, retaining most of the stock fenders.
Old 04-29-2006, 05:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Dustin
The stock fenders are cut and the new fenders are fiberglassed on, retaining most of the stock fenders.
I don't understand. Where is it cut?
Just enough to keep the tire from rubbing?
Old 04-30-2006, 12:12 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by shadow
Oh, and Firehawk. I wasn't taking anything out of context. It was a response to a direct quote and your response.

I'll determine character for myself. So far, what I've seen out of some, leaves a lot to be desired
Couldnt agree more. I kinda wish they would do away with post counts. To many people think if they have thousands of post it matters. I get on LS1Tech for info not opinions. But we all know what they say about opinions. And Firehawk#608 I think you crumbled your own cards. Then again that is a opinion.
Old 04-30-2006, 12:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonWW
I don't understand. Where is it cut?
Just enough to keep the tire from rubbing?
Correct.
Old 04-30-2006, 06:24 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually, the rear quarters are not cut AT all Since the 1/4 panel is part of the structure of the unibody you would jeapordize the integrity of the car if you cut/manipulated this area. Also, GM has designed the 1/4s with crumple zones etc etc... Any alteration means you are assuming responsibility for how the car acts in a crash..

I guess that would make GM happy though
Old 04-30-2006, 06:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well, if you want fatter tires that fill the flares, you have to do something or else they will rub like crazy and not be drivable.

I think there are at least 2 pieces of metal that meet in the lip area. You would need to cut both for clearance and then weld in a new piece to connect them back together. Does this make sense? I think that's how other widebody kits are done.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:01 AM
TECH Regular

I like the idea alot, but this has been a very funny thread
Old 05-02-2006, 04:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Everything would go a lot smoother in these kinds of threads if those damn haters would stop stirring up trouble. You know the ones, they don't have anything relevant to say, so they just start yelling it's bad or gay or something.

We should all just ignore them and pretend they didn't just say what they did. Then these ambitious type of threads would go a lot smoother. They inflate the post count to the point most people will not want to read the whole thread which is a shame. The average person starts reading and then it gets personal and off topic and they lose interest.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Amen. Anyhow, if theres one person who can tackle this challenge then I believe Dustin can. Unless VFN has something up their sleeves..j/k

Quick Reply: Would you like for your car to look like a Dick Harrell Camaro?