Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
View Poll Results: Would you like for your car to look like a 2002 Dick Harrell Camaro?
Hell yes!
80.30%
No, that would be ripping off the design of the Dick Harrell supercar.
19.70%
Voters: 396. You may not vote on this poll

Would you like for your car to look like a Dick Harrell Camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 08:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally, I'd just like the front clip.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:33 PM
11 Second Club

Thumbs up

i would buy just the front bumber... would get the hood from a sponser.. and an ss spoiler
Old 04-21-2006, 04:39 PM
SSU Moderator

Ok, really, it could work. I see nothing wrong with the idea (except that I am not partial to that car at all), I was commenting on what I have seen in the past and how this idea was publicized and how it was VERY much like every other failed idea. But yes, Dustin is right, I don't know his financials and I don't know how much time/exerperience he has doing reproducable panels w/ molds or working with 'glass. But, its my damn opinion and I'm sticking to it. Nothing against anyone, I mean, I have dreams of my own. But I havent seen any of your work or anything resembling progress on an prototype before this thread was posted by you looking for interest/business. That's where my response stemmed from. I didnt have to read the thread to get that.
Old 04-21-2006, 06:01 PM
Banned

you make it... I AM GONNA BUY IT!
Old 04-21-2006, 11:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I am gonna make it. It will however be harder than I thought, but we can still do it with more time to work on the project. This wont be a few months project, there are other things going on so it might be a year before any of you even see this on a car of mine so bare with me. I am very enthuised by all of the feedback I am getting. I will keep everyone updated as we start and progress. Thanks for the support and your honest opinions.
Old 04-22-2006, 09:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

The only reason why I don't like Camaros as much as T/As is because the bodies are more bland on Camaros, and if you can fix that, hey, they'd all kick equal amounts of *** in the appearance department.

I think it would look perfect with an SS spoiler, but that's just my $.02.

As for the costs, I'm sure it can be overcome. I see a lot of crazy stuff done in my second favorite automotive area (mini truckers... lol). These kids aren't usually rich, but their skills with fiberglass is pretty amazing. The only difference is, they don't make it in kit form, they just tend to mold it onto the truck as they go...
Old 04-22-2006, 09:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

People have cloned famous muslce cars forever, go for it!!!
Old 04-22-2006, 07:06 PM
FormerVendor

I have been getting lots of PMs and questions concerning this thread so I think its time for me to chime in.

Let me state that NOBODY will be taking ANY detailed digital pics/measurements of my car in an effort to help duplicate this body. I also do NOT appreciate it being suggested by ANYONE on here.

FireHawk608, I called you to see if there was an adapet harness for the mod I was looking to do. I completed the mod myself with no issue. Considering I built the entire car from the ground up (literally) I think I can move some wires. I was just trying to make things a bit easier. Lets not take it out of context.

As for the DH cars, let me clarify that they are not bolt on covers etc etc.. These panels are hand made fiberglass COMPLETE replacement PANELS. The only part of the car that isnt completely replaced is the 1/4s and that is due to the structural integrity of the car itself.

FWIW, GMMG didnt "steal" or "knock-off" the Sunoco car, GMMG was offered the opportunity to work directly with General Motors to produce a limited # of these cars since GM had no intentions of doing so.....

Continue on and best of luck.
Old 04-22-2006, 07:51 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Cammin BeaSSt
FWIW, GMMG didnt "steal" or "knock-off" the Sunoco car, GMMG was offered the opportunity to work directly with General Motors to produce a limited # of these cars since GM had no intentions of doing so.....

Continue on and best of luck.
That’s exactly what I read on dickharrell.com

I realize this has to make you a little angry Cammin BeaSSt, because if I owned one of these few existing cars and someone was to copy their styling or attempt it that would infuriate me. Like I have said though, I am not trying to copy the car. My goal is to achieve the wide body look and make it available to those who aren’t fortunate enough to own such an expensive beauty. To those who don’t realize it, the front and rear bumpers have to be replaced as well as the front panels. The rears are fiberglassed on therefore aren’t a bolt on item. This will take along time to accomplish and will not be cheap if the kits do come up for sale.
Old 04-22-2006, 07:57 PM
TECH Addict

Oh and guys, please dont bother Cammin BeaSSt, I have obtained all of the photos I need.
Old 04-22-2006, 07:59 PM
Banned

I was wondering when you'd be here. You're the kingpin of the Atlanta area, of course you don't need me for some relocation stuff. I sure as hell didn't mean it in a bad way. I just offered to try and get some measurements (with your full knowledge) for the guy. No harm, no foul. ~Joshua

Last edited by FIREHAWK#608; 04-22-2006 at 08:06 PM. Reason: spelling splelinging ;)
Old 04-22-2006, 08:37 PM
FormerVendor

Joshua, Im by no means a King pin of anything or anywhere... Im just a guy fortunate enough to work on these cars for a living. I admire the attention to detail you have in the things you do. Its an awesome quality to have.

Dustin, Someone making the panels doesnt anger me. Panels dont complete the DH cars and they dont add the entire value to the car. Theres alot more to it than that. What I am saying, and what I said to you through PM, is after being VERY involved in the panels/bodywork for these cars it is not a task I would wish on anyone. There are WAY too many obsticles to overcome for the average/above average person.

Ron
Old 04-24-2006, 08:05 AM
Teching In

I contacted a friend about this thread. Matt M. Of GMMG and this is what he said.
Tell them to expect a call from GM regarding their trademark right to the style and design of the wide body look, which is theirs and that we have a contract to do the Sunoco Car / wide body so we did not just do a knock off like the one person said. The guy might be able to mold or bondo one car to look like ours, but making panels from that and selling them and someone buying them and putting them on their car, and making it look good . . . They have no idea what they all are in for. BUT, like I said, let them try. If they get it done and ready to sell, they will probably get a cease and decist call or letter from GM.
So good luck! You might want to contact GM before you throw alot of money at this or you might just be out alot of money.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:36 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by gomaro
I contacted a friend about this thread. Matt M. Of GMMG and this is what he said.

So good luck! You might want to contact GM before you throw alot of money at this or you might just be out alot of money.
I don't understand how this works. Does U.S. Exotics have to get permission to make his knock-off hoods? How about VFN, do they have to get permission as well?

I don't see how someone can take another car's designs as inspiration and make parts that are similar and be worried about being told to "cease and desist".

What about all of the knock-off rims modeled after the ZR-1 rims, Z06, etc etc? Is GM knocking on their doors?

I think this is just GMMG getting their panties in a bunch just like SLP did back in 2000 when people came out with Firehawk and SS inspired hoods.

The only way I could see them getting into trouble is if GMMG has a patent or trademark on their body work which I think would be really hard to get or if you marketed it as Dick Harrell body kits. Look at designs of all cars across the big three. They all copy off each other and tweek and change stuff.

Long story short, don't be afraid of anyone knocking on your door telling you that you can't do this or that.
Old 04-24-2006, 12:25 PM
Teching In

I think you should reread what he said.

Tell them to expect a call from GM regarding their trademark right to the style and design of the wide body look, which is theirs and that we have a contract to do the Sunoco Car / wide body so we did not just do a knock off like the one person said.
GM has it trademarked.
Old 04-24-2006, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Theres alway a way to get over things like this, GM has trademarked the Sunoco/ DH look which is only one style. I cant see them holding the rights for future widebody kits or other types of designs, that will more than likely be either wider or altered a great deal not to look like a DH/Sunoco car. I dont know whole lot about trademarking and etc, but I think its just b.s. on GMs part to get their panties in a bunch because fellow fbody owners want to spice up the appearance of their cars.
Old 04-24-2006, 01:03 PM
FormerVendor

Let em go Gomaro..... Im sure the gentleman above has a VAST knowledge of GM workings and patent laws. Theres absolutely NO reason to listen to the one person in the country who actually has permission to use the body

FWIW, Why would GMMG "get their panties in a wad" over this?? All of the Dick Harrell cars are sold
Old 04-24-2006, 02:49 PM
Teching In

Exactly what I was thinking, its like talking to a wall. If they knew anything about the patent laws they would just let it go. But I guess they will probably spend their money and have to let tell them.

Last edited by gomaro; 04-24-2006 at 02:57 PM.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:40 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gomaro
Tell them to expect a call from GM regarding their trademark right to the style and design of the wide body look, which is theirs and that we have a contract to do the Sunoco Car / wide body so we did not just do a knock off like the one person said. The guy might be able to mold or bondo one car to look like ours, but making panels from that and selling them and someone buying them and putting them on their car, and making it look good . . . They have no idea what they all are in for. BUT, like I said, let them try. If they get it done and ready to sell, they will probably get a cease and decist call or letter from GM.
Yeah, ok . VFN must be shaking in their boots while reading this since they copied the Sunoco hood...

You don't understand trademark rules if you think this is at all possible... BTW I HAVE a law degree...

By definition it's a TRADE MARK. A MARK (name, brand, etc...) used in a specified TRADE (automotive industry) to designate their product.

Dick Harrell, Mr. Chevrolet, GMMG, etc... all trade marks.

Body styling... NOT a trade mark. You just can't call it a "Dick Harrell" body kit.

Hell, you can't even call it a "Dick Harrell" STYLE body kit... which I am sure the author of the thread has no intent to do

Which, BTW, I am VERY surprised VFN has been able to get away with calling their hood a "Sunoco Style" hood on their website...

If SLP had made the hood and saw that they would send out a cease and desist order so fast their head would spin...

Goes to show the GMMG guys must be cooler than you are giving them credit for..
Old 04-24-2006, 06:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DEMONBIRD
Yeah, ok . VFN must be shaking in their boots while reading this since they copied the Sunoco hood...

You don't understand trademark rules if you think this is at all possible... BTW I HAVE a law degree...

By definition it's a TRADE MARK. A MARK (name, brand, etc...) used in a specified TRADE (automotive industry) to designate their product.

Dick Harrell, Mr. Chevrolet, GMMG, etc... all trade marks.

Body styling... NOT a trade mark. You just can't call it a "Dick Harrell" body kit.

Hell, you can't even call it a "Dick Harrell" STYLE body kit... which I am sure the author of the thread has no intent to do

Which, BTW, I am VERY surprised VFN has been able to get away with calling their hood a "Sunoco Style" hood on their website...

If SLP had made the hood and saw that they would send out a cease and desist order so fast their head would spin...

Goes to show the GMMG guys must be cooler than you are giving them credit for..
THANK YOU!!! Gomaro you need to go back and read my last few posts as I know you didnt. The rears obviously cant be bolted on. Some of you guys act like its not possible to make something like this, like only the people at GMMG are capable of this. Bullshit! With the skills and experience we will succeed.

Quick Reply: Would you like for your car to look like a Dick Harrell Camaro?