Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Can you layer Meguiars Gold Class Liquid Wax?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 09:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can you layer Meguiars Gold Class Liquid Wax?

I just waxed with the Meguiars. I was just curious if it is worth putting on a second layer like some of the Zaino stuff. Pkg says nothing. I have no clue if it has any abrasives. Anyone?
Old 06-05-2006, 10:59 PM
TECH Resident

I layer the gold class traditional wax with no prob.. gold class isn't a cleaner wax like NXT.. I've never used zaino so as long as zaino isn't a cleaner wax I don't see why not.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

No kind of wax should have any abrasives. Wax is typically a last-step product. Gold Class wax can be layered, but IMO isn't worth the effort. It has horrible durability: I've clocked about two weeks on it before my water started pooling on the car again. That's with a full prep (strip and clayed). I must be fair though; waxes don't do as well as sealants on DDs, and Mountain Home's rain is a little funky...
Old 06-06-2006, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

putting a second coat of almost all lsp's is generally a good idea .. it ensures that you have even and complete coverage ..

as for layering .. that is a different discussion.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:17 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the input. A second layer makes sense for eveness. However, I hope it lasts more than a couple of weeks
Old 06-06-2006, 10:53 AM
TECH Resident

yeah i did a coat of NXT then gold class and it didnt last very well im about 1 month into it and except when i spray some quick detailer on it its not smooth at all anymore really. i need to get zaino asap
Old 06-06-2006, 01:14 PM
TECH Regular

When I used the gold class wax and lasted maybe a week and then it had no protection. The damn ice wax lasted longer then this.
-Brandon
Old 06-06-2006, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man, you guys must have some acid rain around you! I've used Meguiar's Gold Class for the majority of owning my car (which will be 4 years this 4th of July) and I had just as good luck with Meguiars Gold Class as I did with Zaino. Exactly like Zaino, once you've gone through the claybar and sufficient prep stages, a couple layers of Meguiar's Gold Class should be all that it takes to get a very very smooth surface (key part of that phrase is "sufficient prep stages" if you gimp on that, you gimp on final results). Follow any washing with a quick detail spray and you'll have a nice smooth clean car. I actually wasn't impressed with Zaino, and am back to using off the shelf items like Gold Class and Turtle Wax's Ice.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:06 PM
TECH Resident

I wasted a many hours just washing and then waxing my car in the past. Now I've gone thru the proper paint prep steps and man what a difference. Car looks, feels, and cleans better than ever before. prep and matinance are the key.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah and if you dont want to prep the car fully, wash the car with gold class car wash, then use the quick detailer from meguiars, then apply wax
Old 06-06-2006, 06:17 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by blackbirdls1
yeah and if you dont want to prep the car fully, wash the car with gold class car wash, then use the quick detailer from meguiars, then apply wax
I wouldn't use a quick detailer before waxing..its not cleaning the paint. I would wash the car and then use a cleaner wax like Meguiars cleaner wax.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:53 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS1MONSTER
I wouldn't use a quick detailer before waxing..its not cleaning the paint. I would wash the car and then use a cleaner wax like Meguiars cleaner wax.
I would, because it helps "finish" the car, getting off any water spots or any type of residue left. Wouldn't want to be waxing over water spots.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What about washing, quick detailing, cleaner wax, then meguairs gold class?
Old 06-06-2006, 10:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BlackHawk T/A
I would, because it helps "finish" the car, getting off any water spots or any type of residue left. Wouldn't want to be waxing over water spots.
Washing should get rid of surface water spots and there shouldn't be any type of residue on the paint..if there is then the car needs to be claybared OR at the very least you should be using a cleaner wax and then move on to your wax of choice.. wash, prep, polish, wax and maintain.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:13 PM
TECH Resident

What would be a good mild washing agent? Seems like you wouldn't want anything too harsh to remove the wax/glaze. Thoughts?
Old 06-06-2006, 10:15 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by blackbirdls1
What about washing, quick detailing, cleaner wax, then meguairs gold class?
Wash, claybar or paint cleaner, polish, and wax of your choice.. then for in between washes QUICK DETAILING. QD spray doesn't clean your paint! it helps remove contaniments before they bond to the paint and keeps that just wax look longer.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:17 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WADDISME
What would be a good mild washing agent? Seems like you wouldn't want anything too harsh to remove the wax/glaze. Thoughts?
If you want to remove any old wax etc or what have you that is already on the paint dish soap can be used to "strip" the cars paint. But I would much rather clay bar my car to strip it of anything and to remove crap that is bonded into the paint.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a correction of a typo before someone reads it and gets the wrong idea. The dish soap can be used to "strip" the cars WAX is what he meant. Not the paint. The dish soap is acidic (or basic... one of them) and will remove all the wax but won't harm the paint.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by meissenation
Just a correction of a typo before someone reads it and gets the wrong idea. The dish soap can be used to "strip" the cars WAX is what he meant. Not the paint. The dish soap is acidic (or basic... one of them) and will remove all the wax but won't harm the paint.
actually, dish soap can and will harm the paint, along will the plastics, rubber seals, etc. everytime you was with dish soap, you are removing oils from the paint, along with stressing the non painted surfaces of the car.

that said, while I would not do it, chances of a one time wash hurting something are pretty slim, if done properly (properly rinsed, etc), I would think.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:24 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by meissenation
haha good catch man!

Quick Reply: Can you layer Meguiars Gold Class Liquid Wax?