Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Treating/cleaning carpet after flooding

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 12:04 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Treating/cleaning carpet after flooding

This happend to my wifes car during Ernesto. Camaro barely made it but stayed dry . Wifes 2003 grand prix didnt. Ended up with an inch or so of standing water on floorboards. Scooped out standing water and pulled carpet at the end of the weekend (about three days later). She though it would air dry , I knew better but what would i know? So after three days of steamy floorboards and building oder I pulled the carpet out and its been drying for about a week and a half. Almost dry and I've vacuumed the carpet and put baking soda on it and revacuumed. The thick foam on bottom is my area of concern. Its several inches thick and could holding moisture. What can I do to treat it so that it doesnt mold/mildew up and stink forever?
Old 09-13-2006, 04:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Remove the carpet and use laundry detergent,a brush and water...oh ya plus the sunlight with it sitting out all day to air out.
Old 09-13-2006, 04:51 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Shinerbock07
Remove the carpet and use laundry detergent,a brush and water...oh ya plus the sunlight with it sitting out all day to air out.
The carpet/insulation is out. its been on my porch. I live in a condo area and the lawn isnt really mine sort of speaking. the foam is whats still holding moisture. the carpet is offically dry-just checked. That took almost a week and a half . Haven't tried laundry detergent. The foam is around 2.5 to 3 inches thick and its solidly glued to the bottom of the carpet. i was gonna buy a **** ton of hydrogen peroxide and soak it but i cant remember if that'll kill mildew/mold. i know bleach will but the wife would not like that. Thanks bro.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:10 PM
TECH Veteran

be careful that hydrogen pyroxide MIGHT ave a bleaching affect aswell, wat i would do i stuff your carpet in a huge laundry bag and take it to one of those ginormous washing machines at the local laundry Mat and then put it in the dryer.. It might work...problem solved lol
Old 09-13-2006, 08:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think a new carpet is in order. i tried everything on mine and it still smells like a foot in my car. im gonna replace the grey carpet with a black one from stockinteriors.com. i might add some strategic sound deadening while i'm at it. just my humble .02
Old 09-13-2006, 08:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I pressure washed carpet in one of these cars, and it came out good. note, it did dry for a solid week until it was dry enough to put back in the car.

This was 3+ years ago, and the owner still says it is fine.

Just my 0.02

unlike hack detailers at used car dealerships, I did remove the carpet before pressure washing it.

Ryan
Old 09-13-2006, 09:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

take it to an upholstry shop and have them replace everything. the foam padding that the factory is cheap anyway. the shop should replace the factory foam with stuff called jute, it is more dense and works great for sound deadening and insulation.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

I second the replacement of carpet and noise insulation. Once it gets wet it will smell and mold.
Old 09-15-2006, 04:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 95greenbird
take it to an upholstry shop and have them replace everything. the foam padding that the factory is cheap anyway. the shop should replace the factory foam with stuff called jute, it is more dense and works great for sound deadening and insulation.
okay. so far its smelling good. wont know till it sits in the car in the sun's heat. I have another car that im junking anyways. its a beat the hell up 92 lumina. it was next to the grand prix and flooded as well. ernesto left weeks ago put i just opened to doors to the lumina two days ago and HOLY ****! I dry heaved man. There was the biggest pile of mold i've ever seen and there was this slim on the floor board as well. man, im about to loose my dinner thinking about it.
Okay, im back. all clean now j/k. I'll start pricing new carpet and this jute. Thanks guys. I can live a better home life now that yall giving me a plan for the misses.
Old 09-15-2006, 04:36 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by lunatik
okay. so far its smelling good. wont know till it sits in the car in the sun's heat. I have another car that im junking anyways. its a beat the hell up 92 lumina. it was next to the grand prix and flooded as well. ernesto left weeks ago put i just opened to doors to the lumina two days ago and HOLY ****! I dry heaved man. There was the biggest pile of mold i've ever seen and there was this slim on the floor board as well. man, im about to loose my dinner thinking about it.
Okay, im back. all clean now j/k. I'll start pricing new carpet and this jute. Thanks guys. I can live a better home life now that yall giving me a plan for the misses.
Funny description. I can imagine a car in the sun sitting a while with standing water inside, Im sure it was pretty nasty.

Quick Reply: Treating/cleaning carpet after flooding