Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

ARTICLE: Good Pictures (Technique, Equipment, Etc)

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 11:34 PM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Article - A Guide To Quality Photography

So you want to gain a better understanding of photography and how to take better pictures of your car?

BEFORE READING THE REST OF THIS POST PLEASE READ THESE TWO POSTS AS THEY WILL SHOW YOU HOW TO IMPROVE YOUR CAR PICTURES IN A STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE (Post 1, Photography - Post 2, Post-Processing and Information)

Now that you've read that the rest of this might make more sense as it's about giving credit where credit is due because cameras dont take pictures themselves and "photoshopping" a picture doesn't turn a dull, boring picture into a jaw-dropping image.

I'm far from an expert on photography, and I'm certainly not trying to act like I am, but I do believe in giving credit where credit is due. There are quite a few guys on here that post up some quality pictures and for those guys I am thankful as I really enjoy looking at nice pictures and I know alot of us here do. It offers us a way to see things in ways that we might not otherwise see them. I'm going to use some of my pictures as reference points in this article and may even type up a post with tips on how to get better pictures but for right now I just want to put this together.

What some people dont realize is that there is alot more to putting out quality images than just plunking down a ton of money on an expensive camera and pushing a shutter button. An inexpensive point-and-shoot in the hands of someone who knows what they are doing can produce a much better picture than that of someone who doesn't know what they're doing with thousands upon thousands upon thousands of photography equipment at their disposal.

Turning out good pictures is like building a house to me. You have to have the know-how (your technique), solid tools (your equipment, doesn't have to be the best but you have to know how to use it to get the results you want), you have to build a good foundation and framework (the picture), and then you have to present your vision through the house itself (post-processing).

Here are a few examples...

A picture I took over three years ago with a 4MP point-and-shoot:

A picture I took back in the fall with a 5MP point-and-shoot:

While I had a basic grasp of composing a portrait-style shot of a car even in the first picture (its not just a "walk out the front door and snap a picture in the driveway" shot) the second picture is obviously a much better and much more quality image. The difference you're seeing isn't all in the camera quality. Both cameras have the capability to produce a good image in this file size. But in the second shot I had better composition, I understood lighting better and how important it was and used that to my advantage, and I used the camera's settings as well as post-processing to achieve the results I wanted.

Even with a $2,000 camera walking outside and taking a picture next to a building or in a cool location isn't going to look good if you dont use the light (avoiding harsh light and shooting towards sunrise or sunset as general rules) and camera settings (things like shooting mode, aperture/f-stop, shutter speed, ISO, white balance, etc) and other equipment (things like tripods, lens hoods, filters, etc).

But even then capturing a good image is only half the battle. There aren't many if any successful magazines or other publications that put images straight from a camera onto their pages. Cameras are devices that have come a long way over the years but are still no match for the human eye. Sometimes what we see and what the camera sees are two very different things and there is a need to correct that. Lighting isn't perfect and even the best base image still will need at least some minor touching up in almost every case. But that doesn't mean that you can take a horrible picture and make it amazing. "You can't polish a turd" and it's definitely a true saying. You have to have that solid foundation to begin working with to end up with the results that make you right click and set a picture as your desktop.

So you have your foundation and you're ready to put those final touches on it to really make it pop. But what program do you use? What exactly do you adjust? Those are all things you have to read up on, practice, and learn. For one of my full photoshoots for a car I spend 2-3 hours photographing the car in locations I've already scouted out for hours, days, or weeks in advance then I come back and spend another 2-6 hours in cropping, scaling, and post-processing just to get 10 or so final edits of the original vision I had in mind when I snapped the pictures.

Before post-processing:

After post-processing:

Before post-processing:

After post-processing:

So in conclusion, its not as easy as "getting a good camera" and "Photoshopping the picture" to get some of the results you see. So when you see some of these guys on here that turn out those pictures that we all drool over I encourage you to ask what camera they're using, what lens they shot with, what some of their settings were or what else they used, or anything else you're curious about, but please dont discredit and shortchange their work by just saying "that camera takes awesome pictures."

Now go out there, snap some shots, start experimenting, and see what you can come up with. You might be surprised.

Last edited by josh99ta; 05-10-2007 at 10:21 PM.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good info. I didn't realize the photo editing was such a tedious process.

I'm 23 and just now finally bought my first ever camera.

I try to look at pictures like yours and others and notice the backgrounds, where the light is comming from, the angles, where the front wheel is turned in relation to the camera, etc etc. I have a lot to learn.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:33 AM
Launching!

Great post Josh, your pictures have improved vastly over the years! Keep up the good work man, hopefully one day my photography level will match yours!
Old 04-24-2007, 01:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice write up, i edit some of my photos but when lookin on here forget that you guys do the same...for instance, i took this photo with a 2 mega-pixel camera...thru a window i might add, sorry i dont have a before, but it wasnt nearly as good, and no i dont think im up there with you, im still learning, but its fun....

click to view
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g2...DSC01079-6.jpg

ps- i think this should become a sticky

/threadjack
Old 04-24-2007, 06:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Nice Write Up ..... makes alot of sense
Old 04-24-2007, 10:52 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the helpful info
Old 04-24-2007, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

very helpful, nice pics too
Old 04-24-2007, 07:34 PM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Thanks guys. Bumping it up again for more people to see.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:00 PM
Launching!

Thank you sooo much for the info. I asked you this question in your earlier thread, and this kinda what I'm looking for. Thanks for taking the time on this. Bump up the good info.

Last edited by 68z28; 04-24-2007 at 08:07 PM.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I vote STICKY!

Great post Josh. Very clear and very good information.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll sticky it for a while with the assumption it's going to blossom into a mini-how to. Great information no doubt though!
Old 04-24-2007, 09:00 PM
12 Second Club

nice write up man. I am gonna post a before/after picture you can use in your original post if you want.

Before Post-Processing:

After:

Last edited by Camaroholic; 01-02-2008 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Edited to remove pop up boxes to adrenzone.net
Old 04-24-2007, 09:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how do you make the black border?
Old 04-24-2007, 09:53 PM
TECH Regular

Great write-up Josh...I think it highlights quite a few things that members should know. I think another write-up would be helpful to people as well...such as camera angles, what kind of lighting (sunset, away from the sun etc).

Here is a pic I had Josh touch up for me -

Before

After

Old 04-24-2007, 09:57 PM
12 Second Club

Im a straight n00b....All i can say is wtf? How did u change it form just a normal pic to an amazing one?

I read up above.....but dont catch what u guys do software wise

Originally Posted by bastien
nice write up man. I am gonna post a before/after picture you can use in your original post if you want.

Before Post-Processing:

After:

Old 04-24-2007, 10:01 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Stang-Slayer
Im a straight n00b....All i can say is wtf? How did u change it form just a normal pic to an amazing one?

I read up above.....but dont catch what u guys do software wise
I got skillz!!!111oneone
Old 04-24-2007, 11:25 PM
12 Second Club

lol yea that helps me out a bunch lol
Come on man....help otu a super n00b
Old 04-25-2007, 12:11 PM
On The Tree

This thread has motivated me to process the pictures I have of my car. It's been a while since I've done any work in photoshop, but I still remember everything. Will post when I'm done.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

bastien...that **** is nuts...the clouds are amazing...

are you just using photoshop? that's incredible...
Old 04-25-2007, 12:57 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by tbird31
bastien...that **** is nuts...the clouds are amazing...

are you just using photoshop? that's incredible...
thanks! photoshop + photomatix (for this particular shot)

Quick Reply: ARTICLE: Good Pictures (Technique, Equipment, Etc)