Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Lighter hood struts

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 02:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a set of Camaro SS / WS6 struts on ebay right now. I swear they are different from the Z28 ones! I know from experience, unless it was one in a million
Old 11-14-2007, 02:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those are exactly the same as the ones I got from ebay. They are not different at all.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:37 PM
TECH Veteran

well ****, i dont know why the ones that came on my SS hood were different from my Z28 (both OEM hoods with stock struts...)
Old 11-14-2007, 05:27 PM
TECH Regular

Is this a problem with the Ultra Z hoods. Are the VFN's maybe thinner? I am installing an Ultra Z on my car in a few days.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by phantomzer0
I don't mean to sound like a dick about it, but there is not one single fiberglass company that includes or options out a lighter duty shock when you buy a hood from them...at least not for an f-body.

Suncoast Creations Does
Old 11-16-2007, 01:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CamaroSS
OK, so here's the deal. I was sent a WS9 Outlaw hood. It came no where close to fitting the car. It was too short, sat up too high, was too tall, and was cracked. I tell VFN about the problem and they tell me how to fit it. ... Read More
Firstly, please don't take this personally!

What I'm trying to say is that with the amount of volume that they distribute and with only a FEW cases that have been brought up it, is not their responsibility to provide you with a new set of shocks. Offer them for an addition cost? Sure maybe that would be a great idea.

All I can say is that I have test fit 3 hoods for them and have equipped my personal vehicles with two of their hoods. Therefore, I've been in contact with 5 variations of their fiberglass hoods and NONE of them have had any issues like you are talking about. No creeping noises, no catastrophic flexing while closing the hood, nothing.

If they could beef up the area where the shocks mount up, I'm sure that would be a great idea, but it's still not going to stop people from dreading that their hood feels like it's going to crack. Christ, the entire hood weighs less than 10lbs. it's what's going to happen when you go from a steel hood to a fiberglass one. It's going to feel somewhat flimsy. The SLP hood on my 97 SS weighs about 40lbs. more than my VFN hood. Considering that they are no where near the same class of weight, it's pretty simple to observe that the SLP hoods are thicker and heavier, thus more resistant to any sort of 'shock damage'. I've talked to them numerous times and have been told every time the stock shocks are fine to use. They probably told you not to use them because you were observing too much flex in those areas in your application.

Originally Posted by NBM01Z
Suncoast Creations Does
Click that link and please tell me where you see that they offer lighter duty shocks with the purchase of that hood.
http://www.suncoastramairhoods.com/Spec%20Sheets/28003%20Pontiac%20Firebird%20Trans%20Am%20Ram%20Ai r%20Hood%20Spec%20Sheet.htm]Suncoast Link
Old 11-27-2007, 04:54 PM
FormerVendor

Hi Everyone.

I wanted to post up about the struts that some guys are having problems with this. I wanted to apologize for the delay in responding to this thread - we have been extremely busy with moving. We have settled in a bit now, so it'll be easier for me to jump on the board more often again.

We have spoken to a very small handful of guys who have had problems with their struts. These were complaints on some of the earlier hoods that we sent out. Because it was brought to our attention, we have since then, altered our mold and beefed up the area where the struts attached to and have not heard more complaints about this. We believe these modifications have fixed any problems anyone may have had with the struts.
The factory struts are okay to use with our hoods, and we occasionally have an install here at the shop which we will use the factory struts on the hood with no problems after.
We have told customers who questioned about the weight difference between the two hoods (stock and ours), that if they feel uncomfortable with the stock struts on the hood, then they may wish to change to a lighter tension shock. To my knowledge I do not know of any company that offers the struts with their hoods. But, we are working on offering Performance products at our new location and one of the products we are looking into is lighter struts for these cars. This will give guys the option of either using the stock strut or go with a lighter strut if they choose. As soon as we have them available for sale, I will have the information posted and we will offer these as an added option for our hoods.

I also wanted to address the issue I read about the WS9 hood. We generally do not receive negative feedback on our parts, but we take every complaint seriously. We have been working on a new mold for our WS9 hood. This will ensure that there will be no additional problems with fitting this item.

Thanks Phantomzer0 for helping us out on this thread - sorry again for the delay on jumping on here.

Jeanie~
Old 11-27-2007, 05:09 PM
11 Second Club

i can get some custom struts for a lil over 150 so i hope yours are less then that if you come out with them
Old 11-27-2007, 06:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

I used to have a no-name brand SS hood for my car a few years ago. The hood was very flimsy and when I put the stock struts on, it caused a stress crack in the hood. You get what you pay for. I paid less than $200 shipped for the SS hood straight from the manufacturer. So now I have this Glasstek 4" cowl on my car. The hood is way more heavy duty but still just to be safe, I only have one strut on there. (never tried both of em on there at the same time) It works perfectly. Closes nice and slow, no creaks or anything. and it goes up nice and steady, it doesn't fly up or anything.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:01 PM
TECH Regular

Conservation of energy. It's physics.

Even if the hood is closed, and the struts are in fact applying pressure to the mounting points of the hood, that force will be spread to the rest of the hood as well as the strut, with the same force pushing in both directions.

Old 11-28-2007, 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vfntech
Hi Everyone.

I wanted to post up about the struts that some guys are having problems with this. I wanted to apologize for the delay in responding to this thread - we have been extremely busy with moving. We have settled in a bit now, so it'll be easier for me to jump on the board more often again.

We have spoken to a very small handful of guys who have had problems with their struts. These were complaints on some of the earlier hoods that we sent out. Because it was brought to our attention, we have since then, altered our mold and beefed up the area where the struts attached to and have not heard more complaints about this. We believe these modifications have fixed any problems anyone may have had with the struts.
The factory struts are okay to use with our hoods, and we occasionally have an install here at the shop which we will use the factory struts on the hood with no problems after.
We have told customers who questioned about the weight difference between the two hoods (stock and ours), that if they feel uncomfortable with the stock struts on the hood, then they may wish to change to a lighter tension shock. To my knowledge I do not know of any company that offers the struts with their hoods. But, we are working on offering Performance products at our new location and one of the products we are looking into is lighter struts for these cars. This will give guys the option of either using the stock strut or go with a lighter strut if they choose. As soon as we have them available for sale, I will have the information posted and we will offer these as an added option for our hoods.

I also wanted to address the issue I read about the WS9 hood. We generally do not receive negative feedback on our parts, but we take every complaint seriously. We have been working on a new mold for our WS9 hood. This will ensure that there will be no additional problems with fitting this item.

Thanks Phantomzer0 for helping us out on this thread - sorry again for the delay on jumping on here.

Jeanie~
well that sums it up for me guess im waiting on these & hopefully they will be out soon ........thanks jeanie ( by the way luv the hood, looks great on my camaro)
Old 11-30-2007, 03:34 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Woah I just caught this thread, sorry for bein a bit late

Yes currently the hood is STILL unpainted and now the gel coat has faded from the intense heat of the Florida sun. The marks on the hood didn't start to show up till a few months down the road and they were made from CLOSING the hood, you can see the stress the struts make on the hood when you are eye level with it and the hood actually flexes at those spots. The hood hasn't been painted so there is no curing and even if there was, it's been on the car for a long period of time and I only open and close the hood for routine oil changes and fluid checks. And after reading VFN's reply just now, I have one of the earlier hoods. I got it during the GP when they first came out. I received mines right after ProjectCamaro.

I should also note that I have a website for softer struts that was posted on the board.

Last edited by phantomzer0; 12-11-2007 at 04:37 PM.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:50 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Oh yeah and one other thing, I don't have the struts connected to the hood (a little late for that anyways) but I had hit the hood release because someone needed a battery jump for his car, and the hood propped open even though the struts weren't connected. Just some food for thought
Old 12-11-2007, 03:58 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Bringing this back up since my struts on my suncoast are going bad and when below 55 the hood comes crashing down.

And FWIW they CAME WITH THE HOOD in 1999, there was no options, they just sent them.

They are marked Lift-O-Mat FPN117 1602EF 0210N 019/99G

Doing some digging I found a Stabilus PDF with the PN 1602EF specs:

8mm (rod diameter) 18mm (tube diameter) 19.7" (extended length) 8" (stroke) 45 lbs 1602EF

Which seems the right dimensions for whats on the car right now, they worked fine for 8 years but are getting a little weak when its cold out. I put one stocker on the car and I could hear **** cracking when I went to close it

And as a reference:

30 lbs 3076EX
35 lbs 1601EK
45 lbs 1602EF
55 lbs 1603EA
60 lbs 1604EW
70 lbs 3627EG

So there you go, just have to find them somewhere - I cant No need to buy custom ones, just have to find someone who sells small quantities of them. I called Suncoast a while back and they said they didnt carry them anymore but the person I talked to didnt really know what I wanted I think..
Old 12-11-2007, 05:46 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Well here you go, strong arm part number 4247 (or D4247) with the specs off their web page:

Part No. (D)4247 Strong Arm [Lift Support] Universal; 19.7" Length Extended; 11.8" Length Compressed; Ball Socket Ends (10mm); 50 Lbs Force.

Just bought a pair on ebay for 25.00 ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/UNIVE...em150018951922 ) and we'll see if they work, from what I gather these should be 5lbs stronger than whats on there. If not thats 35.00 out the window
Old 12-11-2007, 06:58 PM
11 Second Club

wow im finding so many sites now. thanks. i think im gonna try the 30lbs for my vfn hood
Old 12-11-2007, 07:20 PM
11 Second Club

looks like a honda passport rear glass 94-02 is what we need
i did a search for 19.7 and 11.8 then it gave me some lift strut makers product listings i wentto STRONG ARM and went down the page till i saw 19.7 extended 11.8 compressed 10mm ball sockets on both ends it shows 7 differant force levels
30lbs 4644
50lbs 4247----thats what KP ^^^ just bought
65lbs 4248
95lbs 4279
120lbs 4530
130lbs 4408
150lbs 4280

but according to advance auto parts the mighty lift part number for a 98-02 hood is 4542. i dont see 4542 any where on the site i was on for strong arm. maby ill just take my stock lift struts (stabilus) with me to the store tomorrow.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:21 PM
Staging Lane

+1 on stress cracks where the struts meet the hood. I guess thats what I get for a el-cheap-O SS hood with my z28 struts...
Old 12-11-2007, 08:49 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by bad6as
looks like a honda passport rear glass 94-02 is what we need
i did a search for 19.7 and 11.8 then it gave me some lift strut makers product listings i wentto STRONG ARM and went down the page till i saw 19.7 extended 11.8 compressed 10mm ball sockets on both ends it shows 7 differant force levels
30lbs 4644
50lbs 4247----thats what KP ^^^ just bought
65lbs 4248
95lbs 4279
120lbs 4530
130lbs 4408
150lbs 4280

but according to advance auto parts the mighty lift part number for a 98-02 hood is 4542. i dont see 4542 any where on the site i was on for strong arm. maby ill just take my stock lift struts (stabilus) with me to the store tomorrow.

I spent a couple hours researching lol, thats the exact dimensions that are on my car. Its possible that the Camaros may use a slighty longer lift, according to monroe 98-02 firebird and 98-02 camaro are different but I cant find anything to cross with the monroe numbers.

I was going to do the pin thing but I know I'd be in a hurry at the track and try to slam the hood with the pin in - that would be pretty ugly I assume.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:14 PM
11 Second Club

yea i just realized that you dont have a 98-02 camaro

camaros are longer.
i think i found a pn from STABILUS 792540

Quick Reply: Lighter hood struts