Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Molding and Pintstripe removal on a TA

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 05:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Molding and Pintstripe removal on a TA

A few nights ago I tackled removing the side molding and the trim on my TA. I got the molding itself off with no problem, but the glue is a pita to get off. Is there anything anyone reccommends for getting this stuff off? I spent tons of time scrubbing at it, used car soap, dawn, and the clay bar. Picked away some big chunks but still has some gunk left over from it. Did a search and someone mentioned some sort of Goo be gone but have never seen any of this stuff in any of the stores. There a place I can go to get it or something else I can use or just have to do lots of scrubbing?

Also started to remove the pinstripes on the car. On the driver side though, it looks like someone painted under it to make sure they lined up down the car but on the passenger side only did it in certain areas. Pretty sure it isn't another piece of the stripping, I can't get my finger under it and it seems to be smooth with the paint. Would possibly wet sanding remove this stuff? How hard would it be? Don't have any experience really working with that type of stuff.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:08 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its just called goo gone, pretty sure I got mine at walmart, prolly auto parts stores to its a clear bottle, black label and its orange in color. Uses citric acid I belive to remove glue. Also hard to imigine but yes I would say wetsand and buff would fix the paint issues your having.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

what sort of grit sand paper should I get for the wet sanding? My understanding is you get the sand paper you spray some water on the area and go to town, correct? Than just polish it up really good and top it off with a good wax and shouldn't have problems with scratches?
Old 09-07-2007, 05:28 AM
TECH Addict

I wouldn't recommend wet sanding if you have never done it before. Use the goo-gone and wash/wax it afterwards to ensure the goo-gone is fully removed.

Andy
Old 09-07-2007, 06:04 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by White.Lightning
I wouldn't recommend wet sanding if you have never done it before. Use the goo-gone and wash/wax it afterwards to ensure the goo-gone is fully removed.

Andy
Goo Gone it and wax it! But of course it took me twice as long on the drivers side seeing that my mom got hit and the place that fixed her car put different kinda sticky **** on there. Took me many hours. Well worth it!
Old 09-07-2007, 06:25 AM
Staging Lane

The best way to do it is when it is sunny out there. My friend works in a detail shop and he told me about it. I parked my bird for a couple of hours in the sun and then when I try to take the glue off, it came off really easy, and it was really easy to clean. Also, you could use a hair dryier to heat up the glue/molding to make it even easier. I hope this helps.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:35 AM
12 Second Club

Let mine sit in the sun all day then used Goo Gone and took almost everything off. There are still a few hard lines that I'm dealing with.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:18 PM
On The Tree

3M adhesive remover is the ****. Isn't hard on the paint, but it will take off your wax, so you'll have to redo it.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:49 AM
Teching In

dont' use goo gone. it will screw your paint up real quick. if you do, you got to get it off your paint real quick. i know from experience when i took my side moldings off. go with the 3M. i had to spend hours wet sanding and buffing and using touch up paint from dupli color cuz i left the goo gone on to long.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

I used goo gone when I took my pin stripe off....looks fine. Why did you put it on your car? You put some on a rag and rub what u want off the car.

Quick Reply: Molding and Pintstripe removal on a TA