Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans Temp Gauge. Electric or Mechanical?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 11:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Trans Temp Gauge. Electric or Mechanical?

Which one should I get? Whats the difference? I plan on putting in the pan. I have a b&m deep pan. How would I go about putting it in there?

Sorry if this questions been aske a million times guys. And thanks for the help as well.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:10 PM
Alt
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To add onto this question, how about the Trans Temp thats reported by the PCM? Since I am always running with my laptop and hptuners going on what is the reliability of that sensor?
Old 11-26-2008, 12:13 PM
Banned

Mechanical temp gauges usually have big sender threads.
Electric senders have the same thread as aftermarket drain plugs (much smaller, more ideal)
Some people just replace the drain plug with the sender if it's on the side of the pan. That location might leave it vulnerable to getting hit, breaking off and dumping fluid though, maybe.
I rig up a tee in the line going to the cooler. I believe it's more accurate than anywhere else since you can actually see it move.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by All Black SS
Mechanical temp gauges usually have big sender threads.
Electric senders have the same thread as aftermarket drain plugs (much smaller, more ideal)
Some people just replace the drain plug with the sender if it's on the side of the pan. That location might leave it vulnerable to getting hit, breaking off and dumping fluid though, maybe.
I rig up a tee in the line going to the cooler. I believe it's more accurate than anywhere else since you can actually see it move.
Good idea with the tee. Do you put the tee right on the transmission or do you tap into the line a little ways down? Im interested to know how to do.
Old 11-26-2008, 04:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Electric
Old 11-26-2008, 05:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BlackTA96
Good idea with the tee. Do you put the tee right on the transmission or do you tap into the line a little ways down? Im interested to know how to do.
I tap into the line anywhere easy to get to. Usually I get a selection of fittings that allow the sender tip to see more fluid, like an oversize tee with reducer bushings to bring it back to the size needed. Usually one tee, one reducer bushing, two hose barbs or compression fittings depending on the line you tapped into.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlackTA96
I used a T fitting and tapped mine at the line that sends the fluid from the trans to the cooler. If you do it this way, you will get the reading of the hottest temp in the system, which just makes more sense to me
Old 11-26-2008, 10:00 PM
12 Second Club

I just bought the Interceptor Gauge that displays Trans temp and just about everything else the pcm monitors. I love the instantaneous MPG feature too. Helps you learn to drive more efficiently on the highway. Google Aeroforce Interceptor.
Old 11-27-2008, 03:08 PM
12 Second Club

The Aeroforce gauges look cool but wouldn't it take the reading from the PCM? I thougth I had read here that was always about 20 degrees higher than actual temp.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:15 PM
Alt
TECH Resident

The Interceptor reads from the PCM, which is why I asked in my post, "how reliable is this reading"
Old 11-27-2008, 09:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I would use an electrical gauge, a mechanical one will have you running a fluid line to the back of the gauge which in the long run can wind up leaking.

I have a digital "Cyburdine" electrical gauge, with the sending unit in the pressure port on the side of the transmission, it is a 1/2 NPT port, which accepts most electrical sending units.

SteveC
Old 11-27-2008, 11:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SteveC
I would use an electrical gauge, a mechanical one will have you running a fluid line to the back of the gauge which in the long run can wind up leaking.

I have a digital "Cyburdine" electrical gauge, with the sending unit in the pressure port on the side of the transmission, it is a 1/2 NPT port, which accepts most electrical sending units.

SteveC
Temp gauges never run fluid lines anywhere. Mech temp gauges have a sealed copper tube with a gas similiar to freon in it, it expands and contracts with temperature and moves a bellows which moves the gauge needle.

And the pressure port is 1/8" npt. It's also not the best location because it'll pick up a lot of case temp.

Quick Reply: Trans Temp Gauge. Electric or Mechanical?