Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got me a 4L80e Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 04:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got me a 4L80e Questions...

I picked up the 80-100k mile 4L80e for 125.00 because it had a broken ear.

The broken ear just turned out to be the one that needed to be cut off anyway so that was not a problem.

1. It shows that it is a 00 year based on the Yellow Tag is their any more information that i can get off this tag or off of the white sticker that says 0BMP on it?

2. This tail housing had a giant e-brake mounted on it. I removed it and you can see what is left in the pics. Can i just use this tail housing with a TH400 yoke?

3. This trans also had a switch on the shift lever, do i need this?

4. I would like to use a circle D converter and i want to stay with the 6 bolt setup. which flexplate and or will i need a spacer to make this work?

Since I'm broke i plan to just throw a Trans-go shift kit in this a see how it goes. If it gives me trouble i'll pull it and rebuild it.

This is going into my 05 GTO will probably be making 750-800rwhp.

thanks

Last edited by GTO Eric; 01-02-2010 at 04:21 PM.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:20 PM
On The Tree

Old 01-04-2010, 09:43 PM
TECH Regular

no.. you need a slip yoke... and new tailshaft... but you still did fine...
Old 01-05-2010, 06:32 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Casey2323
no.. you need a slip yoke... and new tailshaft... but you still did fine...
thanks, is there any reason i need a new tailshaft. Other then it have the bolt holes for the e-brake it is just like any other normal tailshaft with the seal and all.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the tail shaft looks to be one for a 4x4. I don't know exactly how it will affect you car or the trans but you don't want to mismatch parts and end up regretting it later. you shouldn't need that switch just put on your shifter from you auto and you should be good with that if you want to run a 4L80 converter style then you will need a spacer. I am not sure who has one but you can ask around with the vendors and they should be able to help you out with that. PM me and I think I still have the link for something that sales it

Last edited by The Fugitive; 01-05-2010 at 09:49 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Just like mine... may not be your best option...

Hi, I don't build transmissions for a living, and I don't sell any parts, I am not an expert, but here is my version. I have a 4L80e just like yours in my hot rod. You may not like my answers...

First: I bet your transmission came out of a motorhome or delivery van, and I bet when you take off the pan, you will find all of the parts for the PARK function are missing.

Second: Your large E-brake setup came with a set of roller bearings inside the tailshaft housing, if you measure, you will find that the ID of the bearings doesn't match the OD of a TH400 slip yoke. The large E-Brake setup is a fixed yoke and uses a 1410 size Spicer joint, same cup size as a 1350 but much wider spread. You can't use the short shaft from this setup with a slip yoke, it isn't long enough (I tried everything I could think of to make this stuff work, I ended up putting in a slip type driveshaft like a 4x4 front driveshaft with a 1410 joint on one end, a 1350 on the other and a slip in the middle.

Third: The Transgo kit isn't cheap, so if you really don't have any money, this isn't going to be a good transmission option.

Fourth: The tailshaft, tailshaft housing, slip yoke, and park brake stuff are all going to cost you some $.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/pts/1534289552.html

I don't know this guy, and I don't know how good this transmission really is, but I wish I had seen this before I spent $1000 putting everything together for mine using a motorhome transmission, if it really done correctly is a good price...
Old 01-07-2010, 07:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by twinturbo496
Hi, I don't build transmissions for a living, and I don't sell any parts, I am not an expert, but here is my version. I have a 4L80e just like yours in my hot rod. You may not like my answers...

First: I bet your transmission came out of a motorhome or delivery van, and I bet when you take off the pan, you will find all of the parts for the PARK function are missing.

Second: Your large E-brake setup came with a set of roller bearings inside the tailshaft housing, if you measure, you will find that the ID of the bearings doesn't match the OD of a TH400 slip yoke. The large E-Brake setup is a fixed yoke and uses a 1410 size Spicer joint, same cup size as a 1350 but much wider spread. You can't use the short shaft from this setup with a slip yoke, it isn't long enough (I tried everything I could think of to make this stuff work, I ended up putting in a slip type driveshaft like a 4x4 front driveshaft with a 1410 joint on one end, a 1350 on the other and a slip in the middle.

Third: The Transgo kit isn't cheap, so if you really don't have any money, this isn't going to be a good transmission option.

Fourth: The tailshaft, tailshaft housing, slip yoke, and park brake stuff are all going to cost you some $.

I pulled the pan off it today and it looks to have all of the Park stuff in the trans (rod,park paw,etc.). What parts did yours have missing

I am going to swap a 2WD tail housing onto it.

Trans-go shift reprogramming kits are only 130 bucks for the HD2 version.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 240 Likes on 167 Posts

is it just me, or does it look like there is a hole in the bellhousing area of the trans, first pic-d/s of trans
Old 01-07-2010, 10:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by forcd ind
is it just me, or does it look like there is a hole in the bellhousing area of the trans, first pic-d/s of trans

not just you, there is a hole. It is the ear that is normally cut off when installing in a car. nothing a little welding can't fix. Its also one of the reasons i got it so cheap.

Quick Reply: Got me a 4L80e Questions...