Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Circle D converter (the cheaper one)

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 07:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Circle D converter (the cheaper one)

I have been looking at the Circle D converters on there site, and on this one and people have nothing but good things to say. I noticed they have a line of converters that are less pricey, around $400. They look like a single disk unit. Anyone run these? Still able to get all the benifits of around .5 off your et? What are your experiances with this converter. My car is a bolt on car, daily driver looking for a little more out of it. Down the road, may add heads and cam, but that is atleast 2 years away.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

also been looking at that convrter r u lookin at the one the 278mm? im hoping to buy that one in august...i wnat some input also
Old 07-19-2010, 07:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently inquired about it but I think I'm going to go with one of the high dollar billet units. They are basically a modified stock converter. I mentioned a mild heads/cam setup and this is the response I received from them...

"The 278mm is a great option for DDs, and sounds like a might be a good match for you. It will leave a little on the table for performance, but still much better than the OE converter and the dead spots. I rate it to handle ~450 to the tires, so you should be good there. "

What ultimately sold me on the full billet converters was the options you have. For one its a completely CNC'd unit with lots of modifications you cant make to a stock converter. Plus, you have more control over the balance between performance and drivability.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:15 PM
Teching In

We have 4 F-bodies that we race and have been in the same situation and opt to go with the Circle D custom billet 245mm . A lot of guys around here run them and have nothing but good things to say about the performance and drivability.

If you never plan to race and just want to step up the street performance then the Circle D 278mm is a good option, but if you plan to compete (street or strip) then the Circle D custom billet 245mm converter will pay you back in the long run and the track results prove it.

G/L
Old 07-19-2010, 08:27 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 spend the extra money on the single disk billet 245mm. call up chris at circle d and he will spec out a converter that will fit your needs.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:01 AM
FormerVendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The 278mm is a nice option, but it depends on what your plans are for the car. If you are building a fun DD with stock internals, then it is just about perfect. Great price, great street manors and takes the dead spot out of the OE cam. If you go to the track often or have some heads and cam work, then the 245mm Pro Series becomes the better choice. But it all depends on what your goals are. I would be happy to help you guys make the decision, just shoot me an "Ask Chris" and I will get back you. Or better yet, just give me a call.

713-895-8834

Chris
Old 07-20-2010, 08:01 AM
FormerVendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Oh....

I prefer to say budget friendly, not cheap - LOL

Chris
Old 07-20-2010, 07:07 PM
On The Tree

How about running a PTC unit for that same price point of around $400?
Old 07-21-2010, 07:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

These converters do lock-up right? My Formula is my DD and will probably never go beyond bolt ons, but I want better performance at the strip. Do these still give you a decent stall speed? I only take it to the track twice a year, but when I do go I'd like to cut better 60 foot times.

Also I was planning on running this with my stock tranny...if I was to go with the expensive circle d stall would it be able to be cleaned and reused after my stock tranny dies?

Quick Reply: Circle D converter (the cheaper one)