Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Tranny Fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 01:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Tranny Fluid?

Well i am getting ready to change my tranny fluid. Right now i have Vavoline ATF fluid in there. Should i just go back with that or change to a better one? I rebuilt my tranny and i am changing it for the first time after rebuild. What do ya'll recommend? thanks in advance.
Old 01-23-2004, 06:39 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,500 Likes on 1,080 Posts

I never use anything but Valvoline regular DexIII in mine. Works great. Use any NON-synthetic brand you like....
Old 01-23-2004, 11:05 AM
On The Tree

Minimum SAE specs. on DexIII insure that anyone's DexIII will meet GM OE specs. Which, BTW require the fluid to deliver 50,000mi service "under normal conditions."
Old 01-23-2004, 11:05 AM
11 Second Club

I use type-F fluid
Old 01-23-2004, 11:41 AM
SDB
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the most aprt non-synthetic is good stuff. Many tranny builders dont like synthetic, with the exception of Royal Purple...I have heard from a couple that that brand specifically stands out as being a great choice for those who dont want to change fluid more than 1-2 times a year. My builder told me to use it unless I feel like changing fluid every month with non-synthetic.
Old 01-23-2004, 02:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For anything that has enough power to eat the 3-4 clutches, I strongly recommend F-type fluid (or a Trickshift type which is very similar.) F-type has much stronger holding friction properties. It's like a mild shift kit in a bottle. Shift quality is noticable improved as compared to Dextron.
Old 01-23-2004, 05:58 PM
D(irecto)r Pepper

I use whatever is on sale...with good results. (dextron III)
Old 01-24-2004, 07:53 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I never use anything but Valvoline regular DexIII in mine. Works great. Use any NON-synthetic brand you like....
Why do you guys say NON synthetic fluid? I am picking up my car monday with my rebuilt tranny, and I put Amsoil ATF in it. I have used nothing but amsoil products in my car. I believe they are by far the best out there. Just curious...I keep hearing not to use synthetic...
Old 01-24-2004, 08:24 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by BLK01WS6
Why do you guys say NON synthetic fluid? I am picking up my car monday with my rebuilt tranny, and I put Amsoil ATF in it. I have used nothing but amsoil products in my car. I believe they are by far the best out there. Just curious...I keep hearing not to use synthetic...
Synthetic = super slippery. That's not what you want in an auto trans.

When I bought my trans from FLP, they told me about 3 times, "never use syntheic fluid".
Old 01-24-2004, 09:32 AM
Staging Lane

Synthetic = super slippery. That's not what you want in an auto trans.

When I bought my trans from FLP, they told me about 3 times, "never use syntheic fluid".
"Synthetic ATF is not more “slippery” than petroleum ATF. The base fluids, whether or not petroleum oil or synthetic oil, play no direct role in the relative friction levels of wet clutches. The friction-modifying additives developed for petroleum oils work just as expected in synthetic PAO fluids. The longer the fluid resists oxidation, the longer the original frictional properties remain. The superior oxidative stability demonstrated for synthetic ATF’s thereby leads to extended retention of frictional properties. "

http://www.performanceoiltechnology....nsmissions.htm
Old 01-24-2004, 02:41 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by BLK01WS6
"Synthetic ATF is not more “slippery” than petroleum ATF. The base fluids, whether or not petroleum oil or synthetic oil, play no direct role in the relative friction levels of wet clutches. The friction-modifying additives developed for petroleum oils work just as expected in synthetic PAO fluids. The longer the fluid resists oxidation, the longer the original frictional properties remain. The superior oxidative stability demonstrated for synthetic ATF’s thereby leads to extended retention of frictional properties. "

http://www.performanceoiltechnology....nsmissions.htm
If you trust your trans builder, doing what they suggest would be the best bet. Chuck @ FLP has been building transmissions for a long time (and arguably some of the strongest/best 4L60Es avalibile), I trust what he tells me. He said to avoid synthetic trans fluid for his 4L60E, so that's what I do.

And he's also not the only builder that is anti-synthetic trans fluid; actually, I've talked with a few trans builders and all of them have told me to avoid synthetic.

Personally, I could care less about the fluid lasting 100K+ miles or anything like that. I change my trans fluid about every 3K miles so long life fluid is useless to me anyway.
Old 01-24-2004, 03:16 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This has come up with me recently...I asked my tranny builder (Mike Kurtz at Century Transmission) and he said that we use Royal Purple. I told him thats what I ran in the motor and in the rear, but I wanted to make sure that I would be ok with it in the tranny. Is Royal Purple an exception when it comes to a synthetic? Im using this in a built 200-4R. Thanks.
Old 01-24-2004, 03:26 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by NVMySS
This has come up with me recently...I asked my tranny builder (Mike Kurtz at Century Transmission) and he said that we use Royal Purple. I told him thats what I ran in the motor and in the rear, but I wanted to make sure that I would be ok with it in the tranny. Is Royal Purple an exception when it comes to a synthetic? Im using this in a built 200-4R. Thanks.
Not all builders will agree on this stuff, so you have to use some of your own research as well. Sometimes there is no one right answer, but different right answers for different applications/setups/intended uses/parts/etc. That's why I talked to a few builders, and did some of my own reading as well.

Gotta do what YOU feel is right for your setup; for me personally, avoiding synthetic will continue to be my standard.
Old 01-24-2004, 04:16 PM
11 Second Club

type f is basically a ford tranny fluid but it works great
Old 01-24-2004, 06:31 PM
10 Second Club

Question

I change my trans fluid about every 3K miles so long life fluid is useless to me anyway.
Every 3k? Wow.
You just drop the pan and do the basic 5 quarts I assume, you don't actually go inside and do the converter drain as well right?
Even if you just do the basic 5 quarts (as opposed to the full trans capacity of 12+-) you're still helping things at least a little bit I guess for you can never get it all.
Old 01-24-2004, 06:58 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Every 3k? Wow.
You just drop the pan and do the basic 5 quarts I assume, you don't actually go inside and do the converter drain as well right?
Even if you just do the basic 5 quarts (as opposed to the full trans capacity of 12+-) you're still helping things at least a little bit I guess for you can never get it all.
I have a deep pan w/ drain plug. Once per year (which is a little less than 3K miles for me actually) I drain the pan through the plug and get out 4-5 quarts. Every two years (little less than 6K) I'll pull the pan off and change the filter as well, which gets out about 5-6 quarts.

The fresh fluid mixes with the old so often this way, that unless you have a trans failure (leaving debris in the trans that need to be flushed), there is really no need for a full flush. Maybe if you drag race the car a lot and/or see lots of high fluid temps you might want to do a full flush, but neither of those apply to me.

I do the same thing with my coolant, drain and refill the radiator & overflow bottle each year or 3K, so I never have to flush that either. Always keeps fresh fluid in the mix.

I've been doing this on my various cars for close to 10 years now, always worked great.
Old 01-24-2004, 07:08 PM
D(irecto)r Pepper

I change my trans fluid about every 3K miles so long life fluid is useless to me anyway.

Very wise words.

Change the tranny fluid often to avoid costly tranny repairs. In all my years of racing i have yet to suffer a tranny failure.
not the Stock one, not the Yank 4L60E and not the Yank TH400.

Nor do i use synthetics, but Dino style Dextron or Type F depending on the tranny i am using at the time.
Old 01-27-2004, 05:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am getting ready to get my converter installed and was wondering what you guys suggest. Looks like everyone is suggesting non-synthetic. What's the most popular? valvoline dexron III?
Old 01-27-2004, 07:26 PM
Launching!

are there any long term effects of useing type-f fluid? it wont breakdown any gaskets or soften any seals will it?
Old 01-27-2004, 11:38 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I advise you to stay away from B&M if you have a TCI
SF 3000/2.2 with the carbon clutch. Bad TCC slip and
squeal came on about 600 hwy miles after install and
stayed until flushed plus miles. Quiet and holds now with
Valvoline full flush and Castrol driveway drain & fill. I
think the fancy clutches don't necessarily like sulfur
flavored dinosaur juice. Even if it's blue.

Just one point of data.