Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission cooler ?'s - where to mount with A/C + intercooler + pusher fans

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 07:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Transmission cooler ?'s - where to mount with A/C + intercooler + pusher fans

I am swapping a 4L80e into my Camaro as part of my turbo build. I need to buy a transmission cooler, but am not sure what model/size I'll need, and space is going to be an issue. Front to back, it'll be intercooler, pusher fans, A/C condenser, radiator - so adding in another cooling device to the mix is going to be interesting...

I was just wondering what people with similar setups have done for a trans coolor? Shooting for 550 RWHP, give or take.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have an aftermarket torque converter?
Old 05-09-2011, 08:17 PM
TECH Resident

do a search for "broke ef" i believe he runs his under the rear of the vehicle laying almost flat be hind the rear bumper.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:02 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by FastKat
Do you have an aftermarket torque converter?
Yes...a Circle D multi-disk ~ 3400-3500 stall I believe.

Originally Posted by WhiteLTone
do a search for "broke ef" i believe he runs his under the rear of the vehicle laying almost flat be hind the rear bumper.
Will do...thanks
Old 05-09-2011, 09:24 PM
TECH Resident

Id never run one in the rear....jmo
Old 05-09-2011, 10:28 PM
10 Second Club

I've been dealing with this forever and have tried a bunch of setups. Give us a little more info. What radiator, what pusher fans do you have? Is there any way to run pullers? As far as a cooler, get a b&m super cooler 28000gvw. About $75 bucks.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:03 AM
TECH Resident

Planning on the stock radiator so long as I have room...I designed my own kit to hopefully place my TC78 in a spot that will allow that. I was planning on running the dual Spal pushers many people run, they flow about 2000 CFM each.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:27 AM
10 Second Club

Let me give you some advice and hope to god you follow it. If you are designing your own kit do what ever you have to to run as much of the stock fan rad setup as possible. If you have to choice which part of it stays stock let it be the fans.

Stock puller fans with the shroud work the best.

Run what ever radiator,put the condensor in front and put the trans cooler on the condensor.

I've wasted alot of time and money on pusher combos and remote trans coolers. The best setup is shrouded pullers.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:35 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SPRAYED 01
Let me give you some advice and hope to god you follow it. If you are designing your own kit do what ever you have to to run as much of the stock fan rad setup as possible. If you have to choice which part of it stays stock let it be the fans.

Stock puller fans with the shroud work the best.
I'm with this guy. The stock radiator/fan/fan shroud setup work really really well. Try to keep them if you can.

If you're at a point where you might need to prioritize your cooling requirements, consider buying a trans cooler that will keep the trans at a reasonable temperature. A lot of guys like to keep their trans temps low enough to chill their beer. I don't think that is necessary. If you have multiple components competing for space and cooling capacity (rad, condenser, intercooler) think about NOT overdoing it on the trans cooler and buying something that's just big enough to keep the fluid at a good operating temperature.

Also, consider a tube & fin cooler rather than a bar & plate. The bar & plate is slightly more efficient per square inch of cooler. However, the tube & fin coolers allow air to pass through the core more easily, which means more cooling air to the rest of your components. Tube & fin coolers can also be a little easier to mount, especially if you chose to mount it on your condenser.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:25 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would get an early LT1 radiator to improve engine
cooling. It's an easy swap and about 50% fatter
core.

My trans cooler is horizontal across the opening and
I used a stick of cheapo shelving snap-strip to make
a pair of mounting brackets. I think I posted some
pics of it, sort of "dope style".
Attached Thumbnails Transmission cooler ?'s - where to mount with A/C + intercooler + pusher fans-transcoolerdopestyle20100523_50-.jpg  
Old 05-10-2011, 04:02 PM
TECH Resident

here's a pic i found of the trans cooler mounted on Broke EF's car.
Attached Thumbnails Transmission cooler ?'s - where to mount with A/C + intercooler + pusher fans-hhhhhh.jpg  
Old 05-10-2011, 08:58 PM
TECH Resident

Interesting placement, probably worked fine due to the fan installed on it. As for the puller fans...highly unlikely I will have room for them.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:07 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

bumping a couple week old thread. OP, it sounds like you are going through much of what I'm doing. Only difference is that I'm going with some flex a lite pullers, but everything else is spot on. If can push that radiator a little more forward and modify the hood latch bracket you should be able to use pullers like I'm setting up. This way you can still use the front of the condenser to mount the trans cooler. Not sure if it's going to keep everything nice and cool, but that is the direction I'm going with.

Here are some pics. Keep in mind we are building new brackets for the hood latch and the radiator support.

Other then that we plan on mounting two B&M 70264 coolers in series on the front of the condenser. The condenser is a Vintage Air unit that measures 24x12
Old 05-25-2011, 08:56 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

See right now I have mine mounted remotely under the passenger seat under the car obviously. It keeps it at 150-160* on the highway and 180-190* in extreme stop and go. i've never seen it go higher than 190*...is this pretty good? As I was thinking about trying to find a way to move it up front, but I don't have a lot of room as I have two 16" puller's and the Griffin radiator everyone else uses, and my stock condenser up front. Also the pics of the coolers you guys have shown for other people's cars are a LOT smaller than mine.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:55 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I dont have FI but I have ac and a ram air. Post 132 https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...-thread-7.html

Quick Reply: Transmission cooler ?'s - where to mount with A/C + intercooler + pusher fans