Sponsored by:

MUST READ!!! Mad Dog Transmissions

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 11:45 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking MUST READ!!! Mad Dog Transmissions

Charlie from Vengence writes:

Hey guys, FWIW, I deal with mad dog lou personally. Lou built my 4l65e in my silverado that took me deep in to the low 11's with my 4600# street truck, He also turns ALL of the bolts and sponsors me on my TH400, I've had the 400 in my truck for over 2 years and there has probably been 500 bottles of nitrous ran through it on 300+ horsepower jets!!! Only problem I've had was ONE busted sprag, And IMO that's a parts failure and not an install issue, Lou was more than happy to upgrade me for free and covered all labor on a better sprag and We haven't had an issue yet and that was over a year ago. I have also moved away from nitrous and my current set up is a Proline/Vengeance spec 404 stroker with a single precision 88mm, Once again it has been together with the turbo for about three months and makes over 1000rwhp!!! (Can't display my actual numbers due to some "grudging" going on lately ) FWIW it hasnt missed a beat, I pull my shifter with confidence! My powerglide is being built as we speak and I can't WAIT to put it in!!! People always need to make thier own decisions but If you ask my opinion I will tell you this, If ANYTHING at all goes wrong with your transaction with Lou, HE WILL FIX IT! THAT'S MORE THAN YOU CAN SAY FOR MOST! Is it a pain in the *** to pull your trans out when you have a problem? Yes! Is there plenty of other builders that don't stand behind thier work at all when you have an issue? Yes! This isn't one of them! Lou has been through hell trying to rebuild a reputation that got scarred from other's actions. All I know is this, I have plenty of friends with heads/cam/stokers/nitrous/etc.. that run mad-dog transmissions and I'm not gonna say there hasn't been a single issue but I'll say that not a one of them has come out of pocket a single DIME for an issue with thier transmission.

Not gonna type all night, If you're happy with your purchase from Lou, GREAT!
If you're not happy with your purchase, This guy will honestly go above and beyond to try and please you.

BE SAFE!!!

Charlie
Old 05-09-2012, 10:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats great and all, but even Performabuilt has a FEW happy customers. That still wont make me consider using them again though.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to know. Im still shopping for a good 4L60E for my truck. Ill look into Mad Dog
Old 05-09-2012, 10:41 PM
TECH Resident

Of course you did good by Charlie. He works for a performance right down the street from you. You knew without them promoting you would loose business..

Just imho
Old 05-10-2012, 08:13 AM
Banned

I am going to post every customer that I do.. because no matter what I say people are skeptic.. but we still have thousands of fans! Here are links to one of my customers who puts my transmissions in high dollar cars.

http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn280/DYNO-DAVE1/

What do you think?
Old 05-10-2012, 08:55 AM
Banned

Cool

You know I don’t understand a lot of speed shops use a lot of different companies for transmissions; I’m not going to use their names because that is not my style. Even the high end transmission shops have issue, we have seen them and they pull the transmissions out and send them back. The company takes care of it 100% and ships it back to speed shop. That’s all you can ask for, nobody is perfect things can happen. Whether its builder error, defective parts, or incorrect installation. So many things can go wrong, but if you guys still want to talk negative about my company all I can do is keep posting positive responses from our customers.

We also sell a lot of transmissions locally, after dyno testing every single one of them. It seems to be one or two out of ten that have an issue. The customer calls us up tells us, it doesn’t move... We scratch our heads when we just finished dyno testing the transmission yesterday. I tell the customer to bring the whole vehicle to us, and by the way the customer is pisses off because he read some of the negative comments on forums and he is blaming us 100%. He didn’t even read any of the positive posts about my company. (Hmm funny how that works…) It’s almost like be a good citizen your whole life, but all of a sudden you get a DUI and you are the biggest scum of the earth
It’s usually the same story; we pull the transmission out to find he broke the front pump. On some occasion they call up and say it doesn’t shift... Same thing we tell them to bring the car to our shop. He’s mad and upset. Long story short... we pull the pan on the transmission and it’s full of metal, then we ask the customer did you flush the cooling lines? and then they start pointing fingers as they installed it with other friends, but the bottom line is we dropped the valve body, changed the filter, de-contaminated the transmission, put it back in the car and it works perfect. The customer then.. Usually apologies and says “Thank you very much mad dog.. You’re a stand up guy, do I owe you anything” No you don’t owe us anything.. And if you get some time go on the forums and explain to people it’s not always the transmission builders fault. It’s funny they never go on when they’re happy and explain the good situation that happened but, if they’re upset, they will go for 3 hours on the forums. ( Funny how that works)
So the bottom line is this... I will keep posting more and more of my happy customers and any transmissions shop that tells you they never have any problems, they are lying or they only sell one or two transmissions a week. Some people don’t want to hear good news; they only want to focus on the bad news. Yes I did have some problems 5 to 6 years ago, I am not trying to Wessel my way out of it, but I did learn a valuable lesson. We are all about quality now not quantity. One thing I can guarantee you... is if you purchase one of my transmissions: I will put in writing that you can break down the transmission and see for yourself that everything that we advertise is in the transmission, and I will stand behind you 100%

So if you guys want to continue to bad mouth me.. " shady maddog lou" then you guys have to do what you have to do... but i will continue to do what I have to do, like I have done for over 27 years. Anybody have any doubt or questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me personally. There’s no need to hide when you are 100% honest.

Originally Posted by NVR_SPDS
Thats great and all, but even Performabuilt has a FEW happy customers. That still wont make me consider using them again though.

Last edited by maddoglou454; 05-10-2012 at 09:30 AM.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:07 AM
Banned

Talking

How you doing boss man! I would love to sell you one of my transmissions, give me call when you get a chance, or you can give me your phone number and i will call you personally; to discuss your application. To put you into the right transmissions the first time. I see your a LS1 forums guy, I will cut you a super deal, so you can go back on these forums and tell everyone how awesome my transmission is.

The same goes for you, if you have any doubts, I will put it into writing, that you have my 100% permission to break down the transmission and have it thoroughly inspected. Rest a sure, I dyno test my transmission to make sure it has a quality shift, no delayed engagements, no vibrations, no leaks, and is 100% to my standards. Believed me we have stepped up our game here, and got rid of all the bad apples.

Originally Posted by Freeman83
Good to know. Im still shopping for a good 4L60E for my truck. Ill look into Mad Dog
Old 05-10-2012, 07:34 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by david068513
Of course you did good by Charlie. He works for a performance right down the street from you. You knew without them promoting you would loose business..

Just imho

Lou didn't "have" to do anything for me, He came to us promoting his business knowing that we have always used, and will remain loyal to rpm transmissions. We could have never used him and we wouldn't even know each other exist! There is nothing at all that would make him lose business by not doing a good job for me, I don't sponsor bash and I also don't jump on the side of things. What I've posted for Lou is nothing more than just my honest experience with him and I will tell you that the things that are written about him on "google" and etc... Are history. Take it FWIW and if you have something good to say then let it out, If you'd like to "warn" somebody then do it via private message or word of mouth. They pay to sponsor here just like the other's... When and if we have LS1TECH involved issues, let your opinion out.

Thanks boys.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:38 PM
TECH Resident

Point taken, and agreed.. But have you had first hand experience with mad dog that makes you feel the need to post this? Like I said in my last post, I'm not a for Lou by no means, If his trans didn't perform and he didn't back it up then I'd tell people about it, But if he gave it all he could and couldn't get it I'm 100% sure I would have received a refund and I would have found a new builder. End of story.

How much better does it get than a 100% guaruntee? lol, It doesn't!

Thanks,

Charlie Hill
Old 05-10-2012, 08:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

I bought one of your transmissions (well, your previous shop in FL) and put it in 88 TransAm with a decent 350 TPI motor back in 2005. The only issue I had was the shift governor, but I just ended up swapping the one from the original transmission. Worked perfect. I sold that car to a friend. That is the best shifting transmission I have used. It still runs perfect today. Huge thumbs up.

I have a question though. I used to work as a tech and do all my own work. I have an Avalanche with a 4l60e. GM rebuilt it at 65k due to bad forward sprag (metal in pan so they "rebuilt"). The truck is now out of warranty, but I don't plan to get rid of it anytime soon. My concern is that your website says warranty is dependent on install/maintance by ASE cert tech. Now, I understand if damage is caused by install (not flushing or seating convertor and destroying pump or starting dry). However, I do it right and a component fails, worst case c'est la vie. Best case I have to pay round trip freight charges and palleting. Tough decision for my dd.

However, like I said above, for a non-dd these transmissions are bad ***. I think mine was called the Godfather and it was great!
Old 05-11-2012, 08:59 AM
Banned

I Love the positive feedback! and when you are ready I will build you a Great transmission for your application. As far as the warrenty, there is no problem, I will even put it into writing, that you can even install it yourself and it wont void the warrenty.

Just let me know when you are ready and we will get the ball roll!

I know you are going to love our transmissions, make sure you write to people how good our transmissions/ customer service is.

Thanks again!

Originally Posted by kwiksilverz28
I bought one of your transmissions (well, your previous shop in FL) and put it in 88 TransAm with a decent 350 TPI motor back in 2005. The only issue I had was the shift governor, but I just ended up swapping the one from the original transmission. Worked perfect. I sold that car to a friend. That is the best shifting transmission I have used. It still runs perfect today. Huge thumbs up.

I have a question though. I used to work as a tech and do all my own work. I have an Avalanche with a 4l60e. GM rebuilt it at 65k due to bad forward sprag (metal in pan so they "rebuilt"). The truck is now out of warranty, but I don't plan to get rid of it anytime soon. My concern is that your website says warranty is dependent on install/maintance by ASE cert tech. Now, I understand if damage is caused by install (not flushing or seating convertor and destroying pump or starting dry). However, I do it right and a component fails, worst case c'est la vie. Best case I have to pay round trip freight charges and palleting. Tough decision for my dd.

However, like I said above, for a non-dd these transmissions are bad ***. I think mine was called the Godfather and it was great!
Old 05-11-2012, 09:43 AM
Teching In

can i get level 2 4l6oe with 4k stall
Old 05-11-2012, 09:50 AM
Banned

Yes we can build you one. We need to you to answer a few questions regarding your application, so we can make sure we built it correctly the first time. Gear ratio? HP? weight of car? And if you are running super charged? or nitrous? If you would like give me a call, and I will put you in the right application, or email me your phone number and I will call you!

Originally Posted by nhra02
can i get level 2 4l6oe with 4k stall
Old 05-11-2012, 09:55 AM
Teching In

ill give you a call thanks
Old 05-11-2012, 11:12 AM
Banned

Talking

Mad Dog Transmissions Update!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDrMi...ature=youtu.be
Old 05-11-2012, 02:25 PM
Staging Lane

Hi everybody.

I have emailed with Lou the last couple of days, about him shipping a transmission to Denmark for me.

I have done all the research on him as I can on the internet. And as far as I can come up with, all the bad things happened at Mad dog transmission, was back in 2006-2007.. From 2010 and forward, I have only read good things about him..

For my application and my needs, Lou came up with a Level 2 4L60 Transmission with a HD stock stall convertor... I'll do the swap myself. I'll adjust the TV cable as it supposed to, flush cooling lines, and add a new external coole to keep the oil chilled.

I will post in this thread if anything is wrong with this transmission from Lou.

Lou >> I'll make the Paypal transfer on monday. Do you have any idea of how long the shipping will take to Denmark? Looking forward to put the tranny in my truck :-)

Best regards
David from Denmark
Old 05-11-2012, 03:32 PM
Staging Lane

... and of cause if the transmission is great, I will post it in here as well ;-)

Posted from LS1Tech.com App for Android
Old 05-11-2012, 05:38 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Charlie@Vengeance
Lou didn't "have" to do anything for me, He came to us promoting his business knowing that we have always used, and will remain loyal to rpm transmissions. We could have never used him and we wouldn't even know each other exist! There is nothing at all that would make him lose business by not doing a good job for me, I don't sponsor bash and I also don't jump on the side of things. What I've posted for Lou is nothing more than just my honest experience with him and I will tell you that the things that are written about him on "google" and etc... Are history. Take it FWIW and if you have something good to say then let it out, If you'd like to "warn" somebody then do it via private message or word of mouth. They pay to sponsor here just like the other's... When and if we have LS1TECH involved issues, let your opinion out.

Thanks boys.
I hear ya charlie. I did use 2 of his trans. I had experience with him.hopefully he got it back on track now.
Old 05-12-2012, 02:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie@Vengeance
Point taken, and agreed.. But have you had first hand experience with mad dog that makes you feel the need to post this? Like I said in my last post, I'm not a for Lou by no means, If his trans didn't perform and he didn't back it up then I'd tell people about it, But if he gave it all he could and couldn't get it I'm 100% sure I would have received a refund and I would have found a new builder. End of story.

How much better does it get than a 100% guaruntee? lol, It doesn't!

Thanks,

Charlie Hill
No experience first hand with Lou, just my honest opinion from experience with a similar company. They get a few people that are happy with them, and they think that makes up for their past (or current) issues. I know not every single customer is online to tell their story whether good or bad, and I dont doubt Lou has plenty of satisfied customers out there, but e-commerce lives and dies by information found on the net.

There are alot of causes for failures (especially in autos), and they can be caused by builders as well as the installers. No one can build perfect parts 100% of the time, in nearly any industry. Unfortunately, when negative reviews are put out there, the whole story isnt always included, so complaints can be spun to negatively impact a company, when the failure could have other causes.

I dont know about you, but when I am in the market for parts (or anything for that matter), especially something as pricey/critical parts such as a transmission, if I find negative reviews of a company or product, I move on.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:07 AM
Banned

Thanks for your input. This is exactly why I am on here daily posting questions/ answers to customers/ fans. I have been doing what I can to help anyone I can.. Your right though. Thanks again for the input.

I am here to stay...

No experience first hand with Lou, just my honest opinion from experience with a similar company. They get a few people that are happy with them, and they think that makes up for their past (or current) issues. I know not every single customer is online to tell their story whether good or bad, and I dont doubt Lou has plenty of satisfied customers out there, but e-commerce lives and dies by information found on the net.

There are alot of causes for failures (especially in autos), and they can be caused by builders as well as the installers. No one can build perfect parts 100% of the time, in nearly any industry. Unfortunately, when negative reviews are put out there, the whole story isnt always included, so complaints can be spun to negatively impact a company, when the failure could have other causes.

I dont know about you, but when I am in the market for parts (or anything for that matter), especially something as pricey/critical parts such as a transmission, if I find negative reviews of a company or product, I move on.

Quick Reply: MUST READ!!! Mad Dog Transmissions