Sponsored by:

Installing 4L80E trans and wiring up questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 08:41 AM
SSZ
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Installing 4L80E trans and wiring up questions

Wanna bolt up a 1993 4L80E trans to my 5.3L engine. The pcm i have is not set up for an automatic. I have a pigtail for the trans and one for the PRNDL switch. I do have access to hptuners to activate the change the parameters of the pcm to run an auto trans though.

The flexplate i have on the 5.3 is the warped one and i use a spacer for the converter for the current TH700R4. Would I have to reuse this spacer for the 4L80 or just drill the holes in the flexplate and bolt the converter up?

Next is questions for the wiring. Is it necessary to run the PRNDL wiring to the pcm? Also, does anybody have a rundown of where all my wires from the trans and PRNDL pigtails run into the pcm?

I have about a week off for holidays and would like to get this 4L80E into my car and operating if possible. Thanks
Old 08-07-2012, 09:24 AM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SSZ
The flexplate i have on the 5.3 is the warped one and i use a spacer for the converter for the current TH700R4. Would I have to reuse this spacer for the 4L80 or just drill the holes in the flexplate and bolt the converter up?
I don't know if the converter holes are spaced correctly (depends on the converter) but the front to back spacing should be correct (4L80Es are the same as all the older GM automatics).

Originally Posted by SSZ
Next is questions for the wiring. Is it necessary to run the PRNDL wiring to the pcm? Also, does anybody have a rundown of where all my wires from the trans and PRNDL pigtails run into the pcm?
No, the PRNDL was only for the trucks (controlled the gear indicator on the dash).
Old 08-15-2012, 08:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All you need to wire on the PRNDL pigtail is the neutral wire for the NSS and the reverse wire for the tail lights no?
Old 08-15-2012, 11:35 AM
Gingervitis Addict

Originally Posted by White.Lightning
All you need to wire on the PRNDL pigtail is the neutral wire for the NSS and the reverse wire for the tail lights no?
If your shifter does those functions, the PRNDL isn't needed at all.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was going to use a 4L60e shifter
Old 08-16-2012, 08:14 AM
SSZ
TECH Fanatic

Well, i ran into another glitch with the wiring. I was preparing to pressure wash the trans and was look at the transmission wiring harness the goes into the transmission. It is a harness that is held in place with a threaded torx bolt in the center. Not a push on like you typically see. I guess my question would be can i use the internal trans harness from a 4L60E in place of the one on the trans now? Or do i have to get a new internal harness?
Old 08-16-2012, 11:10 AM
Gingervitis Addict

Originally Posted by SSZ
Well, i ran into another glitch with the wiring. I was preparing to pressure wash the trans and was look at the transmission wiring harness the goes into the transmission. It is a harness that is held in place with a threaded torx bolt in the center. Not a push on like you typically see. I guess my question would be can i use the internal trans harness from a 4L60E in place of the one on the trans now? Or do i have to get a new internal harness?
4L60E harness won't work. Get a new internal 4L80E harness.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:24 PM
SSZ
TECH Fanatic

ok thanks

Quick Reply: Installing 4L80E trans and wiring up questions