Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E Temperature Sensor question. Why does it have one and what does it do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 11:50 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L60E Temperature Sensor question. Why does it have one and what does it do?

Why does it have one and what does it do? does it change the way the trans shifts at various temps?

Is it used to control a thermostat to by-pass the cooler?

Also, why couldn't you tap into the wire harness and use it as the feed for a temp gauge?
Old 07-24-2014, 04:46 PM

Received 422 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by Yablo
Why does it have one and what does it do? does it change the way the trans shifts at various temps?

Is it used to control a thermostat to by-pass the cooler?

Also, why couldn't you tap into the wire harness and use it as the feed for a temp gauge?
As far as I know, the built-in trans temp sensor is only used by the PCM to detect an excessively hot temperature at which it switches to different shift tables and perhaps takes other steps to reduce trans heat.
I suspect this once happened to me at the track while hot-lapping and the engine would then not rev over 3500 rpm.

It does not control a thermostat - there is none. Some aftermarket coolers have their own thermostat for that purpose.

The sensor is only a thermsistor - the PCM applies a voltage on one lead and measures its resistance on the other lead. Taping in would likely throw the values way off.

Several companies make programmable gauges that connect to the OBD2 connector and can display any or all parameters including trans temperature.
Personally I use the HP Tuners scanner to log trans temperature when I am curious about it.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:13 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Trans fluid temp also indexes the force motor table,
although there doesn't seem to be much sophistication
there. Some vehicles have a profile, I've seen others
that are flat w/ TFT.
Old 12-30-2016, 10:03 PM
Staging Lane

Where in the transmission is the temperature sensor located? And does anyone have a part number? I believe mine is faulty and causing limp mode.
Old 12-30-2016, 11:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 346 Likes on 238 Posts

It is read from the manifold pressure sensor that is bolted to the bottom of the valve body
https://www.gmtransmissionparts.com/...FZO2wAodamwPrw
Old 12-30-2016, 11:48 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,642 Likes on 1,180 Posts

Old thread, but since it's back...

Originally Posted by Yablo
In my experience, this internal temp reading is usually about 10° higher than what is observed with an external gauge using a probe in the pan. So, when referencing trans temp from this sensor via a scanner, the results can't be directly compared to folks using a probe in the pan. Just something to keep in mind when comparing readings to evaluate temp behavior or typical ranges before/after various modifications or cooling provisions.

However, I have not run this test on many examples so it's possible that the couple I've compared just had poorly calibrated gauges or insensitive probes, though I suspect that the more central location of the internal sensor would in fact produce a higher reading than would be seen in the pan - all else being equal.
Old 12-31-2016, 09:23 AM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

It won't cause it to go into limp mode. It might read high and go into limp mode but in that case it would be high from something slipping causing it to read high. If it's going into limp mode there is a fault that will leave a code.
Part number would depend on what transmission you have.

Originally Posted by 91foxbodygt
Where in the transmission is the temperature sensor located? And does anyone have a part number? I believe mine is faulty and causing limp mode.
Old 01-01-2017, 01:08 PM
Teching In

Since I got a email for this thread I started, I will put closure to it... at least for me.

I was having problems dropping out of OD while cruising on the freeway. This happened only on hot days... (100+)

I had a trans-cooler mounted in front of ( literally on ) the radiator using the zip ties supplied with the cooler

after lots of googling and no answers , I decided to move the cooler off the radiator about an inch... voilą , NEVER had that dropping out of OD since.

turns out that the radiator was over-heating the trans cooler, forcing a limp mode and dropping out of OD.

If you can't make brackets, then maybe some makeshift spacers... none the less, never mount it directly on the radiator.

hope this helps other people who are searching for answers like I was

Happy New years
Old 01-01-2017, 04:59 PM

Thanks for the update to "close" your thread.
Your information will be useful to others.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

The temp is also used for converter lock up.. Stock setting is 140... Under 140 and it won't lock up.
Old 01-26-2017, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by BubaGumpShrimp
The temp is also used for converter lock up.. Stock setting is 140... Under 140 and it won't lock up.
Please tell me where this value might be in HP Tuners.
I don't recall ever seeing it and my trans/converter definitely locks up below 100F trans temp. Or are you referring to engine temp? Still don't know where that setting would be.
Old 01-26-2017, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry, you're right, it is motor temp of 140 that makes it lock and not the trans temp.. Hp tuners doesn't have the setting in it but i did see it in ls1 edit,, i have both programs.

Quick Reply: 4L60E Temperature Sensor question. Why does it have one and what does it do?