Sponsored by:

TH400 2002 f-body swap questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 05:09 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default TH400 2002 f-body swap questions

Hello all,

I realize this is a very common topic and that there is search function so please don't tell me to use it. I already have...

I just would like some quick info, and to clarify a thing or two.

1. I have a Strange Chromoly drive shaft currently installed connecting my 4l60e to my s60 rear end. When doing a TH400 swap, driveshaft will need to be modified or no? I have read that a new slip yoke for the trans that is specific to this swap may be utilized without changing driveshaft. Anyone know the answer to this and where I can find it if it exists?

2. Running my lq4 with an old school sbc style converter and this th400.... all that's needed to do this would be TCI part # 399753, correct?

3. I will be running a rmvb, so easiest way to adjust computer settings to basically ignore trans would be to change trans tuning in HP Tuners to the files for a 6spd car correct?

4. General consensus here, lokar flexible tube dipstick the best choice?

5. How the hell do you make stock speedo work?

6. Tips and tricks greatly appreciated... I think I've got mostly everything else mapped out in my head...hurst quarter stick, new crossmember, some custom trans cooler lines, reuse my poly trans mount (its like new now), everything else shouldn't be an issue for me.

Thank you for any assistance here, I greatly appreciate the time it takes to read this and respond.
Old 11-14-2017, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Where do you plan on getting the trans? I got an fti, it was set up for a slip yoke, and I needed a longer driveshaft.

I'm unsure on the flexplate for the lq4 but I'm willing to bet that you will need a pilot extension for your converter.

Yes, I used the lokar dipstick. Mounts right under the firewall

My car was a t56 so no tuning was needed to run the rmvb

Here is a link to get your speedo working
https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...0-th400-2.html
Old 11-14-2017, 08:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just finished a TH400 RMVB swap. It will definitely need a longer driveshaft and a 32 spline Th400 slip yoke. You will also need specific crossmember for the TH400. You will need to remove some codes(4L60E) in the pcm, your tuner can remove them. There are some wires that will have to be spliced and connected in order for the rear hatch to work. Neutral/safety switch,and reverse lights as well. I use a TCI flexplate#399753 and new converter from PTC. I also installed a Hurst pistol grip quarter stick shifter and the Lokar 36" flexible trans dipstick. Thats pretty much it. Good luck.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:26 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jtm2085
Where do you plan on getting the trans? I got an fti, it was set up for a slip yoke, and I needed a longer driveshaft.

I'm unsure on the flexplate for the lq4 but I'm willing to bet that you will need a pilot extension for your converter.

Yes, I used the lokar dipstick. Mounts right under the firewall

My car was a t56 so no tuning was needed to run the rmvb

Here is a link to get your speedo working
https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...0-th400-2.html
A friend of mine is contemplating switching up to a glide and has a 400 that probably cost him around $4000 to build, basically the equivalent to the FTI level 6. Its got a season on it, but he offered it up to me at a price that makes it impossible to pass over. If he changes his mind or something falls through for whatever reason, I'm planning on buying a FTI level 4.5. Thanks for the link to the speedo I appreciate it, but of course that won't work for me. I'll be switching to hub style brakes this winter also (already have them) and they delete that bearing and ABS sensor, and my rear end has no provisions for ABS since I knew I was deleting it when I ordered the s60. Looks like I boned myself here, ESPECIALLY since one of the parameters used in my Nitrous Progressive Controller is an input from the VSS.

Originally Posted by BOLO
I just finished a TH400 RMVB swap. It will definitely need a longer driveshaft and a 32 spline Th400 slip yoke. You will also need specific crossmember for the TH400. You will need to remove some codes(4L60E) in the pcm, your tuner can remove them. There are some wires that will have to be spliced and connected in order for the rear hatch to work. Neutral/safety switch,and reverse lights as well. I use a TCI flexplate#399753 and new converter from PTC. I also installed a Hurst pistol grip quarter stick shifter and the Lokar 36" flexible trans dipstick. Thats pretty much it. Good luck.
Thanks for the info, man what a waste on my current driveshaft, I just did the s60 swap, its got maybe 12 passes on it... Looks like I'll just get things installed, take some measurements and call Strange for another one, this is a winter project anyways no big rush. I would like to get my reverse lights to function properly. With that flexplate are you using a custom built converter or is it a gen 1/2 sbc chevy style converter behind your ls ? That's where I've found most confusion, everyone says something different. I'll be doing the same for shifter and dipstick.

Thank you both for the help.

Another thing I realized is I'll need a new torque arm. Looks like Midwest Chassis will be getting a call soon...might as well get my new trans crossmember, torque arm, and upgrade my lower control arms to get rid of the poly bushings while I'm at it.

Last edited by allblackedout5; 11-15-2017 at 11:12 AM.
Old 11-15-2017, 04:24 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by allblackedout5

Thanks for the info, man what a waste on my current driveshaft, I just did the s60 swap, its got maybe 12 passes on it... Looks like I'll just get things installed, take some measurements and call Strange for another one, this is a winter project anyways no big rush. I would like to get my reverse lights to function properly. With that flexplate are you using a custom built converter or is it a gen 1/2 sbc chevy style converter behind your ls ? That's where I've found most confusion, everyone says something different. I'll be doing the same for shifter and dipstick.

Another thing I realized is I'll need a new torque arm. Looks like Midwest Chassis will be getting a call soon...might as well get my new trans crossmember, torque arm, and upgrade my lower control arms to get rid of the poly bushings while I'm at it.
Blackedout, Glad to hear you're planning on going with us on the swap! Just wanted to let you know our custom converters will take the guess work and confusion out of the LS flexplate/converter fitment. All of our billet back converters come standard with both SBC bolt patterns(10.75" and 11.5") AND the LS bolt pattern(11.062"). As for the crank fitment we include the LS pilot extension(for free with conv.) on any LS applications so if you need it and use it, great! if not you have a spare.
info@ftiperformance.com
FTIPerformance.com
FTI Converter build sheet

Old 11-15-2017, 05:36 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by FTICONVERTERS
Blackedout, Glad to hear you're planning on going with us on the swap! Just wanted to let you know our custom converters will take the guess work and confusion out of the LS flexplate/converter fitment. All of our billet back converters come standard with both SBC bolt patterns(10.75" and 11.5") AND the LS bolt pattern(11.062"). As for the crank fitment we include the LS pilot extension(for free with conv.) on any LS applications so if you need it and use it, great! if not you have a spare.
Thanks for the response, your company was at the top of my list for when I buy the trans and converter...still waiting to hear if my friend is unloading his built 400 for a glide, or if I'll be buying new...but if he keeps his, I'll be picking up a level 4.5 400 and a converter from you in one shot...wont be buying for about 6-8 weeks as of now though. What's your typical turnaround time on an order like that?
Old 11-15-2017, 06:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

The later production TH400's had VSS sensors.

VSS Sensor GM# 24232618
VSS Reluctor GM# 8655315
VSS Pigtail GM# 12085498
Old 11-15-2017, 10:01 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by clinebarger
The later production TH400's had VSS sensors.

VSS Sensor GM# 24232618
VSS Reluctor GM# 8655315
VSS Pigtail GM# 12085498
wow thanks a lot brother. You are just a wealth of trans knowledge, I feel more informed every time I read one of your posts.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:32 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Thanks for the response, your company was at the top of my list for when I buy the trans and converter...still waiting to hear if my friend is unloading his built 400 for a glide, or if I'll be buying new...but if he keeps his, I'll be picking up a level 4.5 400 and a converter from you in one shot...wont be buying for about 6-8 weeks as of now though. What's your typical turnaround time on an order like that?
We usually have transmissions and converters ready to ship in 2-4 days from start to finish.
info@ftiperformance.com
FTIPerformance.com

Old 11-16-2017, 10:48 AM
9 Second Club

We usually have transmissions and converters ready to ship in 2-4 days from start to finish.
Wow that's great. Thanks for the info.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:20 PM
Staging Lane

I got a nice oem style dipstick from a guy called madman racing fit perfect and if you cant find the reluctor ring I bought an extra one when I did my swap cuz it was hard to find also was able to use the oem shifter, shifter cable and bracket and the part number bolo gave you is the same I used in my swap
Old 11-16-2017, 11:24 PM
Staging Lane

39004-k is the mark Williams billet yolk part number
Old 11-16-2017, 11:56 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mechanic a
I got a nice oem style dipstick from a guy called madman racing fit perfect and if you cant find the reluctor ring I bought an extra one when I did my swap cuz it was hard to find also was able to use the oem shifter, shifter cable and bracket and the part number bolo gave you is the same I used in my swap
thank you very much. Love this site.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:41 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

We have both the 17 and 40 tooth reluctor wheels available for the electronic VSS if you can find a good sensor.... FSP17R and FSP40R

We have the hardened billet version available as well that has bolt-on billet. F4054
info@ftiperformance.com
FTIPerformance.com

Old 11-17-2017, 10:51 AM
9 Second Club

We have both the 17 and 40 tooth reluctor wheels available for the electronic VSS if you can find a good sensor.... FSP17R and FSP40R

We have the hardened billet version available as well that has bolt-on billet. F4054
Man, looks like I might as well just wait a month or so and call FTI for the whole shebang. Thanks for all the info.
Old 11-17-2017, 01:55 PM
9 Second Club

I don't like ratchet style shifters, I've had a B&M Ratchet in the past and once I switched to the quarter stick on my last car I much preferred the quarter stick. I like being able to pull back for the 1-2, and then grab the gate and pull back again for the 2-3. Just personal preference on that one though I'm sure you can probably say the opposite pro/con for a ratchet style on your end. A buddy of mine modified his factory auto console and fabricated some brackets to make the quarter stick work and fit in, looks very good. Planned on doing same with mine once I finally pull the trigger on all the parts. My main reason for changing crossmembers and not making mine work is so that I can relocate the torque arm to the trans crossmember. I appreciate all of the input!
Old 11-17-2017, 10:36 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01Z28Camaro
What you like about it, is actually the worst part about it. It's not like the ratchet shifter can go two gears in one throw, it's pretty much perfect. In all the car's I've bought with the quarter already installed. I throw it away and put the ratchet shifter in.

As for the torque arm. I can't understand a reason you'd wanna tie it into your transmission crossmember instead of letting it have it's own along with the driveshaft loop. What's the advantage your seeing there?
As said, personal preference on the shifter. Since you're throwing so many quarter stick shifters away, next time ship it to me instead. I know how a ratchet shifter works, I too have had both. What's pretty much perfect for you may not be for others.

I actually have another thread inquiring as to whether it's more beneficial to have a long or short arm for a drag car, because quite frankly I didn't know the purpose/advantages to each. So I've concluded I'm going with a tunnel mount short arm instead. Again thanks for your input, but your delivery kind of sucks bro.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:38 PM
TECH Resident

good info in here.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:18 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Man, looks like I might as well just wait a month or so and call FTI for the whole shebang. Thanks for all the info.
We assemble ALOT of Th400 swap kits! We can help everything from the flex plate to the driveshaft and everything in between! The only transmission related item we do not help with is the shifter that is because there is literally THOUSANDS of options. But crossmember(BMR), driveshaft(PST), flex plate, trans, converter, yokes, cooler lines, coolers, fittings, crank adaptors(if needed), and even rear end gears (yukon), we gotcha covered!
info@ftiperformance.com
FTIPerformance.com

Old 11-19-2017, 10:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Quarter stick

Originally Posted by 01Z28Camaro
What you like about it, is actually the worst part about it. It's not like the ratchet shifter can go two gears in one throw, it's pretty much perfect. In all the car's I've bought with the quarter already installed. I throw it away and put the ratchet shifter in.

As for the torque arm. I can't understand a reason you'd wanna tie it into your transmission crossmember instead of letting it have it's own along with the driveshaft loop. What's the advantage your seeing there?
I have the quarter stick set up for RMVB. I can tell you that there is now way that you can missed shift with this shifter on 1-2-3 shifts, unless you're pulling the lever the whole time. I love this shifter!

Quick Reply: TH400 2002 f-body swap questions