Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update: fti 3800 reg hit? No lock up.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2019, 09:46 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 601 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by 99RedHawk
I ran PI #7 converters or about 5000 stall and that was after going with to little stall and changed 3 more converters to get up the the 5K mark. I use Circle D for all my converters now and they are dialed in on quality and setting up what you need.
Circle jerk?
Old 09-19-2019, 11:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by FTICONVERTERS
Happy to hear it is performing well for you! light pedal drive-ability still there for you as well?
I can tell its got a converter, has to be around 2000-2200 to move with traffic, but it will creep forward when stopped and I would say it feels pretty tight. I wouldn't want anything looser.

Currently fighting a issue where the idle goes crazy while im coasting. Goes from 1000-500-1000-500-1000....Might be manifold gaskets (this morning it was cooler out and it was worse till the car warmed up), but Im going to try opening the throttle blade a bit with the set screw, its fine if I give it just a tiny bit of throttle, then when I come to a stop its fine and levels out (so manifold gaskets might not be it). Most noticeable between 2/3-25mph Not sure whats causing this. Friend will help me data log it soon too, IAC may be out of range to control it?

EDIT: messed with the throttle blade set screw, hoping that helps out the IAC

Last edited by trilkb; 09-19-2019 at 02:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
FTICONVERTERS (09-20-2019)
Old 09-29-2019, 06:05 PM
TECH Addict

Sigh, well I just drove the car today and it made it where I was going fine. Time to come home and it felt funny when the converter was locking up, got on it once from a stop, literally just chirped the 16" street tires (didn't blow them off like the car could easily do lol)..then went to get on the highway and got on it a little again in 3rd, neither time was wot, maybe 50%. Once on the highway the converter wouldn't lock up, same on the street around 42 like it used to.

Not sure what to do. I was taking it easy for the first 150 miles still. I got on it a couple times but never wot. Hard to believe I hurt it.

Car has been acting funny though and feels sluggish. I've felt the tps may be bad, not sure if it could be related? The only thing I've done is not install the trans cooler yet, but for the first 150 miles of easy driving I didn't think it was needed. It's been in my head not to beat on it too bad because of no external trans coole, and it has to be broken in.
Old 09-29-2019, 06:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 351 Likes on 243 Posts

You also need a tune after the converter swap
Old 09-29-2019, 06:11 PM
TECH Addict

Oh, also. The car would hold gears and not upshift correctly some times when giving it more than daily driver/ low amounts of throttle. Awhile ago when I first drove it with new converter and exhaust on the highway i let off and then gave it a little throttle and it snapped my head back, like I gave it 5% throttle but it saw 30%.

Hoping it's the tps, ordered one on Amazon.

Last edited by trilkb; 09-30-2019 at 09:17 AM.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:17 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 98CayenneT/A
You also need a tune after the converter swap
Missed this. I do have a pcmforless tune already for a stall. Im just really hoping the converter isnt damaged and the transmission doesnt need to come back out. Knowing my luck its a trans failure. It seems to drive fine, little loose, but just didnt lock up.

Hoping the TPS is the problem because of the other issues the car is having.

Bummed out right now big time. I didnt think I could overheat the damn thing that easily if thats really what happened. Reading about bad TPS makes me believe it could be the problem.

Last edited by trilkb; 09-30-2019 at 12:05 PM.
Old 10-04-2019, 08:22 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 70 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by trilkb
Missed this. I do have a pcmforless tune already for a stall. Im just really hoping the converter isnt damaged and the transmission doesnt need to come back out. Knowing my luck its a trans failure. It seems to drive fine, little loose, but just didnt lock up.

Hoping the TPS is the problem because of the other issues the car is having.

Bummed out right now big time. I didnt think I could overheat the damn thing that easily if thats really what happened. Reading about bad TPS makes me believe it could be the problem.
Get a cooler on it ASAP! Heat is the #1 killer of a transmission and 150 miles is plenty to create enough heat, especially with a stall converter. I'm not saying that's your issue, but it's definitely something that needs to be done sooner rather later.

-Dalton
info@ftiperformance.com
FTIPerformance.com
FTI Converter build sheet

Old 10-05-2019, 01:41 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by FTICONVERTERS
Get a cooler on it ASAP! Heat is the #1 killer of a transmission and 150 miles is plenty to create enough heat, especially with a stall converter. I'm not saying that's your issue, but it's definitely something that needs to be done sooner rather later.

-Dalton
With the cooler on I really wouldve beat on it lol. I was gentle on it. But yea, on the list.

I am running valvoline full synthetic trans fluid. Maybe that was a mistake too? Said it covered what our trans needs.

Guess I'll see soon enough.

Last edited by trilkb; 10-05-2019 at 04:01 PM.
Old 10-06-2019, 12:45 PM
TECH Addict

Well the tps did absolutely nothing.

Think I'm in over my capabilities now. I'm guessing i fried the lock up clutch. would there be metal in the trans fluid/pan if this were the case? It won't lock up when fluid is cold either.
Old 10-06-2019, 12:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Well the tps did absolutely nothing.

Think I'm in over my capabilities now. I'm guessing i fried the lock up clutch. would there be metal in the trans fluid/pan if this were the case? It won't lock up when fluid is cold either.
You need a tune
Old 10-06-2019, 03:22 PM
TECH Addict

Yea, I don't think that will solve the fact that the converter used to lock up and now doesn't though.

Maybe the added heat caused the solenoid to fail.
Old 10-06-2019, 03:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Yea, I don't think that will solve the fact that the converter used to lock up and now doesn't though.

Maybe the added heat caused the solenoid to fail.
No, the added heat did not cause the solenoid to fail.

You also did not burn up the lockup clutch. You need to get it tuned to get the lockup values correct going from a stock converter to a loose 3800.
Old 10-06-2019, 04:38 PM
TECH Addict

That's why it locked up fine for 100 miles and now it won't?

I have a mail order tune. As far as I know it's been set up for a stall. It was tuned for a trailblazer converter which is looser than stock.
Old 10-06-2019, 04:48 PM
TECH Junkie

That's why it locked up fine for 100 miles and now it won't?

I have a mail order tune. As far as I know it's been set up for a stall. It was tuned for a trailblazer converter which is looser than stock.
It is a possibility that you nicked/ tore the o- ring on the input shaft when you swapped converters. I do not think you burned up the lockup clutch.
Old 10-06-2019, 06:20 PM
TECH Addict

I dunno. Nothing went weird, I did the trailblazer stall and it was fine, did this one the same way. The only thing I did different was use some thicker shims.

The only thing I know that happened was the last two times it locked up it didn't feel right. It was hot that day, like low to mid 90s.

It seems like I would get a code if the tcc solenoid was bad? No cel or anything yet.

I think the only thing I can do is take it out and send it to FTI to get checked out.
Old 10-06-2019, 06:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I'd be wary of the tune as well. A stock tune or performance tune for stock.converter....even a stock tbss.... isn't good. I'm no expert and won't try to explain why....cuz I probably can't. But a mail order performance tune without specifics is not good.

I used Blackbear for my 2000 Silverado years ago. Great guy. Responds to emails pretty quickly and answers all the "im stupid and want to ask everything in the world about my car" questions. He said do NOT run the truck with the tune that he gave me a few years back after installing my new converter. Again, don't remember the specifics and I also swapped transmissions for a level 2 Performabuilt. So maybe that was the bigger deal.

Maybe Google blackbear tuning and send him an email. I only know him from the truck world, dunno if he does cars. But it's still the same basic 4l60 so probbaly. He's very reputable. Not that your mail order guy isnt, I dunno. But if they are just hammering out basic tunes.......... I would at least ask someone else.

Sorry you're having issues. Glad to see that you've got your self immersed in your cars again though!
Old 10-06-2019, 06:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Inner workings of autos are mystical to me. But wow what a difference a converter makes.
Old 10-06-2019, 07:25 PM
TECH Addict

Maybe it's tune. But its told to lock up at 42mph(?) which is standard, and it was doing it like it was supposed to and now it won't even try, something gave it up.

Replacing the tcc solenoid looks easy but I have no code, I guess I could do it when I drop the pan to look for metal shavings (if that even happens).

I need to get better at diagnostics.
Old 10-06-2019, 08:03 PM
TECH Addict

Who knows. Maybe I can inspect them for cracks?
Old 10-06-2019, 08:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

You need the tune adjusted for the stall. Misfire code and a couple transmission codes need turned off with 9.5" high stall converters. 10" lower stall converters won't cause the non lock-up issue. My FTI did the same thing...I fixed mine by buying HPtuners, lots of googling, and learning how to tune.

Quick Reply: Update: fti 3800 reg hit? No lock up.