Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update: fti 3800 reg hit? No lock up.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2019, 07:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
You need the tune adjusted for the stall. Misfire code and a couple transmission codes need turned off with 9.5" high stall converters. 10" lower stall converters won't cause the non lock-up issue. My FTI did the same thing...I fixed mine by buying HPtuners, lots of googling, and learning how to tune.

Was yours locking up and then randomly quit? Thats the only reason I dont want to blame the tune, it was fine, now its not lol. But I would be very happy if thats all it was.

I chose my "small cam" based on the fact I should be fine with mail order tunes.
Old 10-07-2019, 07:34 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 70 Likes on 42 Posts

Trilk, it is very possible the tune needs to be addressed. If you're using HPT there is usually a user or 2 that will chime in that has the correct software to view/verify your tune is right if you post it.

IF(big if) you did by some chance wipe out the lock up clutch, you're pan/filter should be riddled with clutch material. Something that is worth checking for sure. I would start by checking that and see if you can get a 3rd party to verify the tune.

-Dalton

PS: you should also be able to see lock-up being commanded in your logs
info@ftiperformance.com
FTIPerformance.com
FTI Converter build sheet

Old 10-07-2019, 08:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 203 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by trilkb
Was yours locking up and then randomly quit? Thats the only reason I dont want to blame the tune, it was fine, now its not lol. But I would be very happy if thats all it was.

I chose my "small cam" based on the fact I should be fine with mail order tunes.
Yes...locked up fine for X amount of miles then quit.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:43 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
Yes...locked up fine for X amount of miles then quit.
Crazy, you are giving me hope! Dont do that to me!
Old 10-07-2019, 10:12 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by FTICONVERTERS
Trilk, it is very possible the tune needs to be addressed. If you're using HPT there is usually a user or 2 that will chime in that has the correct software to view/verify your tune is right if you post it.

IF(big if) you did by some chance wipe out the lock up clutch, you're pan/filter should be riddled with clutch material. Something that is worth checking for sure. I would start by checking that and see if you can get a 3rd party to verify the tune.

-Dalton

PS: you should also be able to see lock-up being commanded in your logs
Thanks, I honestly dont feel like I hurt it. It would have to be made of glass the way Ive been driving it.
Old 10-07-2019, 11:47 AM
Launching!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

OP, how hot does the trans fluid get with that converter and no trans cooler?
Old 10-07-2019, 12:27 PM
TECH Addict

No idea. Im sure it gets hot but I try to keep it in lock up, which is why Im not driving it at all right now.

Im going to run a cooler, just like I said, Its my reason not to beat on it right now. Sounds stupid I am sure.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:12 AM
Tech Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which converter did you go with? The "soft" or regular 3800 FTI? If I had to guess I would say this is equal to the Yank PAS3800.

Did you go single disc or multiple?
Old 10-09-2019, 12:01 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
Which converter did you go with? The "soft" or regular 3800 FTI? If I had to guess I would say this is equal to the Yank PAS3800.

Did you go single disc or multiple?
I did the 3800 soft hit in a billet single clutch form for him.

-Dalton
info@ftiperformance.com
FTIPerformance.com

Old 10-09-2019, 01:27 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by FTICONVERTERS
I did the 3800 soft hit in a billet single clutch form for him.

-Dalton
Dalton,

Is there a benefit going with a multi disc in this setup for the street? What made you opt for him to go with the single?

Also since this is a street car is the converter locking up at a determined mph? I've read so much different opinions on locking up the converter on the dyno will destroy it in a hurry and also some saying this is what you should do.
Old 10-09-2019, 01:38 PM
TECH Addict

Converter lock up happens at ~42mph stock, this can be adjusted. Some raise to 55mph, not sure the benefits other than I hate giving it half throttle at 35-40 then it locks up. I have heard something about locking up triple disc converters and lower speeds, not sure if thats a real thing though. To be honest id rather have it that way than have it lock up at 55 since I like to roll into it and dont do much WOT on the street.

I havent driven the car again, waiting on an IAC to show up. Hoping it cures my surge issue, if it doesnt, I am going to have to bite the bullet and get it dyno tuned and that will hopefully fix the lock-up issue as well.
Old 10-09-2019, 02:10 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Dalton,

Is there a benefit going with a multi disc in this setup for the street? What made you opt for him to go with the single?

Also since this is a street car is the converter locking up at a determined mph? I've read so much different opinions on locking up the converter on the dyno will destroy it in a hurry and also some saying this is what you should do.
Originally Posted by trilkb
Converter lock up happens at ~42mph stock, this can be adjusted. Some raise to 55mph, not sure the benefits other than I hate giving it half throttle at 35-40 then it locks up. I have heard something about locking up triple disc converters and lower speeds, not sure if that's a real thing though. To be honest id rather have it that way than have it lock up at 55 since I like to roll into it and dont do much WOT on the street.

I haven't driven the car again, waiting on an IAC to show up. Hoping it cures my surge issue, if it doesn't, I am going to have to bite the bullet and get it dyno tuned and that will hopefully fix the lock-up issue as well.
The main purpose of going with the triple disc over the single is for locking under WOT. The other big reason is weight and towing but that's not a factor since we're talking cars. The WOT lock-up is commonly used on dyno's to increase the dyno results for the guys that like to dyno race, the other big plus for locking under WOT is when racing you can usually gain a couple extra MPH out of the car. Just remember no WOT lock-up if you have a single disc.

WHEN you lock up is solely controlled by the tune and what you tuner likes to do. That all comes down to desired drive-ability, tuning, and the inputs it uses to decide when to lock up.(speed, throttle input, temps, are some of PIDs used to control lock up) So if you roll into the throttle or stab off in it after a certain throttle % its should unlock or not try to lock. And under a certain speed, it should unlock or not try to lock, and the same goes for temperature.

-Dalton
info@ftiperformance.com
FTIPerformance.com

Old 10-09-2019, 02:52 PM
Tech Apprentice

So I'm curious why someone WOULDN'T go with a triple disc over a single. Why wouldn't you want to lock it under WOT to gain MPH (performance)? The difference I believe is like $200-300. If I can pick up enough performance in the 1/4 to gain a couple MPH why wouldn't I want to go that route? Sorry, trying to learn here.
Old 10-09-2019, 03:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,263 Likes on 809 Posts

So I'm curious why someone WOULDN'T go with a triple disc over a single. Why wouldn't you want to lock it under WOT to gain MPH (performance)? The difference I believe is like $200-300. If I can pick up enough performance in the 1/4 to gain a couple MPH why wouldn't I want to go that route? Sorry, trying to learn here.
because not everybody picks up a couple mph
Alot of guys won't use the lockup down track even if it is availible
Most guys I know that decide to use it do sp because of a unique set of circumstances
-a gear/tire ratio that launches well and 660's well but runs out of rpm up top...they use lockup to get 300 more useable rpm instead of making a shift to 4th gear
-heavy cars that have to gear their car more aggressively to get moving and typically use a converter that works harder down low then might be loose up top. Locking cures the "looseness"
-Stock Bottom End guys that use it to keep from having too much of an rpm drop between shifts. Huge shift extensions can draw the motor down which is really hard on stock rods. So they get an extra loose converter to get really rollin and make it into the upper rpm in 3rd gear, then use lockup to get it to move out the back door without pulling the motor down too hard.

I've actually seen guys that lock the converter at the inopportune moment and slow down compared to unlocked pass.
triple disc isn't a one size fits all applications type deal.
So...all that mentioned above...plus 300 bucks...plus the extra weight...can easily lead guys to not go with a triple
Old 10-09-2019, 03:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,288 Likes on 894 Posts

^

Yup :-)
Old 10-10-2019, 07:16 AM
TECH Addict

Interesting read.

Ordered a B&M 70264 from summit that ill put on tomorrow night or saturday, atleast get it done. Was supposed to be going to the drag strip by now, but thats not going to happen.
Old 10-14-2019, 04:48 PM
TECH Addict

Well I have a dyno appointment on the 28th. Should give me ample time to get my trans cooler installed.

The new iac helped, still surges in reverse. Was going to pay $125 plus shipping for a mail order retune and found a dyno here for $550. Sucks because the one literally a mile from my house wants $700. But he did agree mail order is a waste of money. At least I'll know it's right now!
Old 10-21-2019, 12:26 PM
TECH Addict

Got the trans cooler on and went for a test drive. Got a little mean with it in 2nd and got it sideways. I don't think the converter is hurt at all.
The following users liked this post:
Rick01SS (10-28-2019)
Old 10-28-2019, 07:04 PM
TECH Addict

Ok so the tuner said when he commands the converter to lock it doesn't hold. He said "Previous tune had minimum duty cycle as low as 10% which won't lock a 9.5" clutch". I assume he messed with it but he couldn't get it to lock. This was a dyno tune shop not mail order.

So that's just great, thing was annoying as **** driving down the highway with no lock up and 3.73s, and it's more uphill on the way home.

I don't know what to do next. Don't have the motivation for this.

Last edited by trilkb; 10-28-2019 at 07:21 PM.
Old 10-28-2019, 07:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 356 Likes on 247 Posts

Any codes?

Bad o-ring at end of input shaft?

http://4L60E Transmission TCC Valve ..._Gu4TDb8P5SCZ7

Quick Reply: Update: fti 3800 reg hit? No lock up.